Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate it
A 4 11.76%
B 6 17.65%
C 7 20.59%
D 7 20.59%
E 8 23.53%
F 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:36 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I cannot respond even though I am interested because you used the tool (Wiki) of the lazy and weak-minded. Fortunately most HS and colleges are barring the usage of it for homework/research papers.
Well, it's really just a easy way to display climate averages. If making things more conveniently available is laziness, something's wrong. Also, I have no doubt that this data is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 02:09 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
I guess we should all go back to the slide rule, pencil and paper to do all our calculations and finances, design work etc... I guess we should all go back to telegrams to send messages to each other. I guess we should all turn off the internet and go to a big set of increasingly out-of-date every year encyclopaedia books (which is in principle no different from what wikipedia is) so that we can at least not be deemed lazy since we lifted a finger to look in an actual physical book. The future looks bright! After-all, nobody would want to be seen as "weak-minded" by the Second Coming "Vector1" who has God's total divine judgement facilities seeing as he has never been anything less than the ideal, perfect specimen from the day he plopped into this world.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:58 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Default source?

Okay, I checked the source link included in the article from Wikipedia; I did not find mention of a "Volcano, Hawaii."

Old 09-10-2014, 03:01 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
I guess we should all go back to the slide rule, pencil and paper to do all our calculations and finances, design work etc... I guess we should all go back to telegrams to send messages to each other. I guess we should all turn off the internet and go to a big set of increasingly out-of-date every year encyclopaedia books (which is in principle no different from what wikipedia is) so that we can at least not be deemed lazy since we lifted a finger to look in an actual physical book. The future looks bright! After-all, nobody would want to be seen as "weak-minded" by the Second Coming "Vector1" who has God's total divine judgement facilities seeing as he has never been anything less than the ideal, perfect specimen from the day he plopped into this world.
No, just double-check sources. Wikipedia is a great tool if used properly. It and Google helped me tremendously when writing papers for college, but fact-checking and going back to the original reputable sources is very important. This may be off-topic, but it is worth mentioning.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
No, just double-check sources. Wikipedia is a great tool if used properly. It and Google helped me tremendously when writing papers for college, but fact-checking and going back to the original reputable sources is very important. This may be off-topic, but it is worth mentioning.
I agree wikipedia is a good tool if one knows where the info is coming from. My sarcastic british humour may not come across well on the internet though

Old 09-10-2014, 03:07 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
I agree wikipedia is a good tool if one knows where the info is coming from. My sarcastic british humour may not come across well on the internet though
Is sarcasm a British thing. When my friend went out to America, he said apparently many had no idea when he was being sarcy!
By the way, I know you where being sarcy as soon as I started reading your statement! lol

Last edited by Jas182; 09-10-2014 at 03:30 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 03:09 PM

Partly that perhaps but also it doesn't come across as easily over the internet (on text) than if I was talking to the person face to face.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:17 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,190 times
F this is a terrible climate!!

It rains too much and the temperature is 21c year round, not my idea of a climate.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:18 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Is sarcasm a British thing. When my friend went out to America, he said apparently most had no idea when he was being sarcy!
By the way, I know you where being sarcy as soon as I started reading your statement! lol
Don't worry yourself. Americans will soon tell you what they think.

Where the British can have alot of sarcasm, Americans can step over the boundary.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,189 times
C+. Almost never uncomfortable but no seasons and precipitation is a little excessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather