Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:50 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
^^ Um, the weather is "always changing" in pretty much any state in the U.S. Ohio does not have a patent on that. There are places with much more extreme weather than Ohio like South Dakota, North Dakota, etc. Pretty much any plains states or prairie province in Canada.
Certainly an exaggerated post. Ohio's winters aren't much different from here in Northern New Jersey. Southern Ohio is even milder. In fact, NW New Jersey is just as cold, if not cooler, than Northern Ohio. The poster seems to be focusing on the negative. Just like any state, there are bad weather days, and good ones.

Here's a more realistic explanation:

Winter: December to March
Spring: March or April to June
Summer: June through most of September
Fall: late September through November (mild weather is possible into November)

Taste of winter in November with some cold days, but it becomes more sustained in December. Generally stays that way from December into March. March can vary year to year, but is generally cold and rainy with some snow. April varies even more. Can start off cold with some snow, but after April 15th, snow is unlikely. Some chilly days are likely from then on into May (highs in the 40s) with the last freeze around May 15th. Keep in mind that from March onwards, there can be some mild, pleasant days with highs in the 50s, 60s, and even 70s. 80s often occur in April. But on the same token, there will be cold and raw days in early to mid spring. We are coming off the heels of winter afterall. Just like in October when we can experience warm, summer-like days.

While summer certainly gets humid, and I'll be one of the first to complain, we're fortunate here up north to at least get some days with lower dewpoints. However, thunderstorms and tornadoes could be more severe in Ohio, so I'll give the poster that.

September is actually a pretty dry month. Much more comfortable than July and August.

October certainly does see the first noticeable cold weather of the year and some Halloweens are cold, but there are also years that are pleasant. I recall a couple halloweens reaching 70 F. For example, the temperature was 73 F in Cleveland Halloween 2009. The weather can be unpredictable anywhere, but focusing on the negative is never a good thing, especially considering Ohio's climate is not nearly as bad (subjective) as other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopuppy View Post
ok. Ohio is HORRIBLE!!! Lets go month by month.
January: CoLd As F***. Not only is it cold, but the wind makes it 10 times worse. You need a coat, 6 shirts, 5 pairs of undies, 4 pairs of pants, 8 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of gloves, two scarves, 3 hats, and a snow suit to keep the wind from making your skin hurt. But then you get the random 65 degree day, followed by 6 inches of snow the next day.

February: Hell literally freezing over. Right now, there are 50,000 people without power in Canton alone. Why? Because almost the whole state is encased in a 2 inch shell of ice. You can't go to work because you can't get your car open because it's turned into a 2 ton block of frozen water.I am listening to the tree outside my house crack as I hope my power isn't next to go out. All of that with a wind chill of - 20 degrees. And it's RAINING. And that is all in one day. The rest of the days we get 3 feet of snow dumped on us.

March Still ccoolldd: Honestly, the cold here sometimes doesn't end till the middle of May. But this month it can't decide if it wants to rain or snow.

April: Flooded. I think there might be 2 days without heavy rain. Kids will try to swim in the street. Did I mention it could be 15 below one day, then 80 degrees the next?

May: The rumbles start. I HATE thunderstorms. The ones that give us tornados will be starting to get more frequent now.

June: Humid with a chance of Run for your lives. I swear we must be a lightning rod in June. And if you have ever been to ohio in June, I'm pretty sure you thought your clothes were shrink wrap the way they were sticking to you.

July: Wasn't it just raining? Half the street can be sunny and pleasant, but cross the street and you are in a hail storm. The weather will change that quickly. You can be swimming one minute, and reaching for your blanket the next.

August: HOT!!! 90 degrees is the norm. And 90% humidity makes it 10 times worse. There are days that you can't breathe outside because you feel like you are drowning. This is the month where you will be wishing to move to Alaska.

September: This is actually my favorite month. It's when it starts to cool down (70-60 is normal now) and the storms die down. The humidity is still pretty bad, but more tolerable.

October: Didn't winter JUST end? We can actually start getting snow now. When the kids go trick or treating, you can't see most of the costumes, because they are all wearing heavy winter coats. 8 weeks ago they were running around with squirt guns!

November: Is it over yet? The wind can sometimes carry you away. The city starts to panic because they didn't stalk up enough salt for the winter.....again. Oh, and, like, EVERYONE is sick.

December: That's messed up... The one month you WANT it to snow, and it barely does. It's cold and all. It's just dry. Except that one year when it was 80 degrees on Christmas Eve. .........

My point is, Ohio weather is worst because it is ALWAYS changing. Once you think you are prepared, it does a 180!!!
This is hilarious! I envy your green valleys to be sure (I surmise that's only the case in the late spring and summer) but I'm not gonna complain about our ultra-moderate mediterranean climate here ever again-haha- as long as we get 10" of rain a year I can take it, but I wish it were 20".

Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM

9,757 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yes, it does look like the Pacific Northwest does get a lot of rainy, dreary days. I've often read that it's the area with the most suicides in the country, but I have nothing to back that up.

I guess it depends on what you consider to be "awful weather". Some people think if it's 100 degrees that it's awful. Personally, I think that Northern Mn. has terrible weather because it gets so cold there. Before reading a lot on the Weather Forum here, I didn't realize it, but Alaska also has a lot of weather that I don't like. They sure have beautiful scenery, but it's just too cold for me. Also, the areas that have a lot of lake effect snow don't seem too appealing to me. I guess I don't really care for the weather in the northern one half of the country.

I always thought that was Alaska.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:02 AM

9,757 posts, read 7,468,918 times
Personally, I couldn't live in Phoenix, AZ. Any day between mid-may and late September that drops below 95 is a "cold" day for them.

I think Southern/coastal New England is about as perfect a place there is in the US. No hurricanes, no tornadoe's, only have a few days in the summer that get above 100, rarely get below 10 degrees in the winter. Sure, the winter can be rough, but, aside from this winter, we don't get many heavy snow falls or ice storms. We might have like 1 or 2 storms tops that get in the range of 6 inches, everything else is a dusting or flurries. Plus, the autumn is gorgeous around here.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Right now - Sydney! We've been baking under an terrible heatwave, minimums haven't dropped below 23oC for a week and maximums exceeding 30C (in the city) over past 5 days.
Horrible late sort of La Nina if you ask me!

Old 02-04-2011, 11:38 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Anywhere where someone is unhappy - for them!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:46 PM

45 posts, read 56,189 times
Upstate New York & the northern portions of Maine....too cold, too gray, too short of a summer, and too much snow.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,813 times
Arctic, Antarctic, and various deserts.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,188,844 times
Well, I think the worst weather has Northern Germany and further north. Perhaps our weather is very predictable. If it is cloudy, it will keep cloudy a week or two. One or at max two noticeable rainy days a week.

And cloudy as hell. It's not that hard to get used to it, because it's mild and boring. Every day is the same. Summer was just acceptable to me.

I live nowadays in southwestern Germany where it is more decent. At least we get some sunshine there. Daily average temperatures are more comparable to the southern parts of France.

Harsh winter days without sun (Hamburg):

A few degrees south where I live (Freiburg):

Does not differ at all (Nice, France):
Attached Thumbnails
What place has the worst weather?-hamburg.png   What place has the worst weather?-freiburg.png   What place has the worst weather?-nicefrance.png  

Last edited by alphatier; 02-11-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 02-12-2011, 04:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatier View Post
Well, I think the worst weather has Northern Germany and further north. Perhaps our weather is very predictable. If it is cloudy, it will keep cloudy a week or two. One or at max two noticeable rainy days a week.

And cloudy as hell. It's not that hard to get used to it, because it's mild and boring. Every day is the same. Summer was just acceptable to me.

I live nowadays in southwestern Germany where it is more decent. At least we get some sunshine there. Daily average temperatures are more comparable to the southern parts of France.

Harsh winter days without sun (Hamburg):

A few degrees south where I live (Freiburg):

Does not differ at all (Nice, France):
Interesting. I thought the climate in coastal southern France would be much milder than southern Germany since it is protected by mountains from northerly and easterly winds.

What are the annual sunshine hours in Freiburg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather