Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:36 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you grew up with hot or tropcial temperatures, 70°F still feels cooler there skin temperature. To somewhat not used to it, the sensation feels cool. After going through a summer without A/C, my room is reaching 65-67°F with the windows open. It feels cool to my skin, not really uncomfortable but not quite ideal and I put a sweater on. 70°F might be a bit much but I might feel the same after living in a hot climate, or maybe even after a hot month.
I grew up in North Carolina, not too different of a climate than I have now (same in summer, a bit warmer in winter.)

65-67 indoors with the windows open sounds positivity divine right now, especially if there's a bit of a breeze about. I'm envious of ya! (insert green face here)

To put a sweater on at or above 65 degrees though, and it'll be sweat city. Hence, when I lived in Florida, I wore summer clothes all year round, even on the rare "cold" days down there when everyone else were dragging out their coats smelling of mothballs...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:36 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Yeah, October was my toughest month down there, having to deal with 90's all the way up to Halloween some years. Whew. I sure don't miss that at all.

And yes, I've been much less tolerant of heat over the years - I could take heat almost as well as cold when I was a kid, so long as I didn't have to wear anything more than shorts / t-shirt. But now, forget it...lol.
One thing to be aware of, though, is that it is much cheaper to cool a home down to a comfortable temperature than to heat it up to the same. However, I've often wondered how the people down here who claim to love the heat and humidity would feel if they had to live without AC during a long, relentless summer in Florida.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,507 times
Sun is your friend,
You can play in it,
you can swim with it,
You can tour the mountains, the beach, and the desert with it.
You can ride around with the top down, let the wind blow in your face and hair......
Try doing this in the friggin cold...
Other than playing you're pretty much doomed to sitting by the fire and drinking coco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
One thing to be aware of, though, is that it is much cheaper to cool a home down to a comfortable temperature than to heat it up to the same. However, I've often wondered how the people down here who claim to love the heat and humidity would feel if they had to live without AC during a long, relentless summer in Florida.

Not at this latitude. My energy bills are always higher in summer than they are in winter, with the shoulder seasons having the lowest bills of course.

Back in the days before AC, Florida was a sleepy backwater, with a very low population. It wasn't until AC came into wide use in the 1950's when that state, along with rest of the Sunbelt states, began to boom. If AC went away tomorrow, there would be an incredibly massive exodus back to the northern states, as most people wouldn't be able to make it through a summer otherwise.

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Paranoid? I have no idea who's "paranoid" about cold. Not a term I would ever think of to describe a temperature preference. About getting your house burgled after a spate of robberies, possibly yes. I do know that some people find the cold physically uncomfortable, such as me, and prefers warmer temperatures.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:45 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
Other than playing you're pretty much doomed to sitting by the fire and drinking coco.
I'm not. Society continues when it's cold. Only a tornado, flood or hurricane would cause pandemonium.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 PM

But then, England doesn't get "real" cold.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Paranoid? I have no idea who's "paranoid" about cold. Not a term I would ever think of to describe a temperature preference. About getting your house burgled after a spate of robberies, possibly yes. I do know that some people find the cold physically uncomfortable, such as me, and prefers warmer temperatures.
I probably should have used the term "hateful" - but to hear some people talk about cold, you would think they're paranoid about it...lol.

I'm curious - do you find max temps in the 60's to be ideal to be getting out and doing things, especially if it's sunny? Or do you find that to be cold? (That's when I start hearing complaints about the "cold" in these parts.)

Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'm curious - do you find max temps in the 60's to be ideal to be getting out and doing things, especially if it's sunny? Or do you find that to be cold? (That's when I start hearing complaints about the "cold" in these parts.)
The question would be answered differently by different people.

60's in sun, well here our average highs in summer are the mid 60's. If it's sunny it feels like an average room temperature to me. Cloudy and windy, then it is cool but not "cold".

Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
I've been in 45C/113F temperatures, with low humidity, and it's actually felt quite comfortable. You can be out in those temperatures if you remain quite inactive. But it is hard to protect yourself against -40C/-40F.
I agree, I've been in 46degrees with low humidity in Grease before and I didn't feel all that hot. But start putting humidity into the equation of 40 degrees, then it will probably be as uncomfortable as -40 with humidity! I've never felt any natural temperature below -5 degrees before, but I've felt 40+ at least 3 times in my life so I know what hot is... The worst was when I was somewhere inland of Spain and the temp on the weather report was 41 degrees with high humidity, now that is more likely to kill as high humidity = loads of sweat = faster dehydration. In fact my brother got terrible heatstroke! But on the other hand Dry heat, and dry cold are far more comfortable than if the humidity was high.
But your right, extreme cold is more dangerous than extreme heat. For instance in the UK 40,000 people died in the Big Freeze 2009/2010, however there were 2,000 deaths related to heat in 2003. This goes to show that cold is worse than heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather