Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 03:48 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,693 times

Advertisements

Another problem with the heat,

Opening your window to find out that there is no breeze coming in whatsoever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 03:50 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
To the OP: Since a lot more people die from cold than heat, cold is naturally the greater evil.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:50 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,410,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Another problem with the heat,

Opening your window to find out that there is no breeze coming in whatsoever
YUCKY! I think low 70s Fahrenheit with heavy overcast condition is the maximum line where you can open the window in running car and actually it makes cooling down.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:53 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
To the OP: Since a lot more people die from cold than heat, cold is naturally the greater evil.
Are you sure about this?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:53 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Another thing to add is that chic's always yap on about how cold it is, yet fail to dress up appropriately for weather conditions ? If you are cold, then there is always the option of bringing a sweater along. I'm yet to hear a chic complain about the heat. I'm pretty sure they don't exist.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:03 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,634 times
Well, the building where I work at an aquaculture company routinely gets over 100 F during the summer. It's pretty much a greenhouse where ornamental fish and clams live. Highest I've seen it was 105, so definitely not a job for a heat hater.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
My guess is that the main reason so many people don't like cold is that people first evolved in equatorial Africa, where it doesn't get cold, and that our temperature preferences generally haven't changed much since.

I imagine being a cold lover is sort of like being a spicy food lover, the harshness itself feels good.
While humans did evolve in Africa they evolved in the highlands, where 50-75 degrees is the typical range of temperatures. Which I think are more comfortable. I don't like cold in the way I like spicy food. I find it refreshing while I find heat stifling. Cold on my extremities actually feels good.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:58 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Are you sure about this?
Nothing is for sure in this world.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Killer cold: Winter is deadlier than summer in U.S.

Cold kills more than heat, CDC says; other researchers caution not necessarily

Old 09-16-2014, 05:00 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's not my experience at all. I used to dread being indoors in a lot of public places in the summer due to the overuse of A/C. In fact, my first post on this forum was complaining about A/C. Here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post10141569

That post was confusing, couldn't understand why he was using chilly to be positive.
I like it at a balmy 76 F in the summer, and a crisp 60 in winter

Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's not my experience at all. I used to dread being indoors in a lot of public places in the summer due to the overuse of A/C. In fact, my first post on this forum was complaining about A/C. Here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post10141569

That post was confusing, couldn't understand why he was using chilly to be positive.
Cool, looks like you joined C-D about the same time I did...lol.

You mentioned "used to" - so you've gotten more tolerant of air conditioned spaces? Still work in an office setting? I read somewhere that workers are most productive at around 68 degrees, which is the perfect indoor temp for me...lol.

In summer, there's few things I love more than walking into a frigid air-conditioned place - my fave place here in Atlanta for that is the big food market we have here, which is kept at 65 degrees all year round. When we had that spike up to 106 a couple years ago, I specifically went there to cool off - man, it felt soooo good walking around in there. But when it was time to leave, it was like walking into a blast furnace. Whew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather