Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Cool, looks like you joined C-D about the same time I did...lol.

You mentioned "used to" - so you've gotten more tolerant of air conditioned spaces? Still work in an office setting? I read somewhere that workers are most productive at around 68 degrees, which is the perfect indoor temp for me...lol.
I've become a bit more tolerant. Office isn't as cold and I'm not as skinny. 68°F would make me less productive. Due to no dress code, I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt in the summer. I'd prefer around 75°F inside*. less of a shock when going back outside. 75°F inside is refreshing on a hot summer's day, 68°F is jarring.

*I'm happy with my home warmer, but I have the windows open and usually a fan, so there's air moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
That's why I like the cold in the winter, and the heat in the summer.... Best of both worlds

Almost the perfect climate for me.

Extreme max 117F/47.2C
Extreme min -35C/-37.2C

Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Another thing to add is that chic's always yap on about how cold it is, yet fail to dress up appropriately for weather conditions ? If you are cold, then there is always the option of bringing a sweater along. I'm yet to hear a chic complain about the heat. I'm pretty sure they don't exist.

Hi. Nice to meet you

Our summer this year shows no signs of going away. Not happy about it AT ALL.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
When I moved to Minnesota back in 1995 I would have told you winter was my favorite season. I left Minnesota at the end of September, 2008. I would have gotten more money if I had stayed till January but the thought of another MN winter was enough to drive me over the edge. So I left!

My years in MN taught me to hate loathe and despise cold weather. I don't want to live anyplace where it snows 8 months a year ever again. 8 months of bad roads, no sunshine, and never ending cold. There were days when I had cold feet when I went to bed and they were still cold when I got up. Miserable! 8 long months with nothing to do but work every day. It was so cold I almost never left the house voluntarily and put off things like grocery shopping till we were out of everything. And don't even get me started on shoveling that triple driveway. Just in time for the snowplow to come by and ruin what I had just done. We had winters so bad we had to move snow from the snowbanks on the sides of the driveway because they were so high we could no longer shovel the snow high enough. Fall was usually miserably cold too and we were always racing the snow to try to get all the leaves picked up. And there were years where we still had snow piles in June.

I got so miserable just thinking about it that I had to go out and stand on the patio for a minute. Right now it's 89 degrees and the pool looks good. A little windy though. Now I live in Las Vegas. It's snowed once since I moved here and I just stayed home because this place is full of people who have never driven in snow! For about 10 weeks a year it is too hot. But the rest of the time it's almost ideal. And I don't have to mow or shovel anything and swimming season can easily run from May to October. There is no humidity so unless you are doing hard manual labor 100 degrees isn't uncomfortable. If I get hot I can always take a dip in the pool or just stay inside in the AC. Even during the worst of the heat it's not hard to stay comfortable. I tend to do a lot of my shopping and errands in the evenings after sunset when it's cooler.

I tolerate 8 months of summer much better than 8 months of winter!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
In Australia, because of our stronger UV rays, it was MANDATORY for primary/elementary kids to wear hats all year round in the playgrounds (even on cloudy days). If they didn't have a hat they'd have to go under a big shelter and stay there to play. In the past 12 years they made the 'punishment' harsher - Kids without a hat had to sit down outside the school office building.

Overdressed kids were always told to take their jumpers off or they'd also get some sort of detentions or something.

Last edited by Ethereal; 09-16-2014 at 11:32 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
^^
My husband didn't know until I told him that there is extreme thinning of the Ozone layer over Australia. I couldn't believe it.

Highest incidence of Skin Cancer in the world.

I feel bad for you guys honestly.....don't think I could take the climate there at all

Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 AM

90 posts, read 178,077 times
I grew up in VT and moved to FL after college. After 30 yrs in FL, i hated August/September as much or more than February/March in VT and experienced depression very similar to winter "cabin fever". At this point in life, I'd rather much put on extra clothes than sweat non-stop for months on end. Can't say i ever felt "paranoid" about heat though.
I moved back to NE three years ago and couldn't be happier. Still have my home in FL, visit friends and family several times a year but can't see ever moving back there.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
^^
My husband didn't know until I told him that there is extreme thinning of the Ozone layer over Australia. I couldn't believe it.

Highest incidence of Skin Cancer in the world.

I feel bad for you guys honestly.....don't think I could take the climate there at all
Not all Australia is hot and overly sunny.

These places in Victoria and SA, AUS have a similar climate to your Pacific Northwest cities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballarat#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portla...ctoria#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilt...ctoria#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallac...ctoria#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_...tralia#Climate

Old 09-17-2014, 03:45 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
The cold makes us contact. I don't like shriveling up into a little ball! I'm already prone to depression as it is!

But w the heat, even if too hot, your body spreads out like "Hello world! I'm ready to face life today!"

Old 09-17-2014, 05:14 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I think plenty of people complain about the heat just as many complain about the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather