Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 PM

419 posts, read 2,020,568 times

Advertisements

It got up to 51 degrees today, 5 degrees higher than the 100 year historical average for this time of year. The idiots on the TV are making me feel guilty for living on a day that the temperature is actually above normal. Here are some things I have heard on various TV News and Weather reports since our late "December heat wave" started:

It sure does not seem like winter, there is no snow today (it only snows 3-4 days all winter here)

It is like summer today, it should not be so warm, its scary

50 degrees today, it has to be global warming, I have never seen it this warm ever in late December!

This is more like Spring, I am going to break out my shorts and golf clubs

I hate this weather, it is not like Christmas, I want some real December weather, cold and snowy.

I finally got so tired of hearing all this foolishness I had to stop watching the Weather on TV. (And to think it was only 4-5 degrees above normal)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,475,584 times
I know what you mean. It irritates me, too. They just do it because it promotes their agenda. They do the same thing on TWC if it's 10 degrees above average in my area. It's one of the few times that we get mentioned, BUT let it be 20 degrees below average and you don't hear a peep out of them.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,171,361 times
A lot of TV weather forecasting is becoming like the news - sensationlism. Less and less real hardcore information is being communicated in favor of fluff. I like detailed weather forecasting and technical information as to what is happening and why. I also don't want to hear political agendas spouted during weather forecasts - save that for editorial writers.

Personally, my favorite weather personality is Tom Skilling on WGN TV. He gives me the detail I want and definitely doesn't dispense fluff. I worry when he retires. Who will take his place.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:49 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,696,756 times
Ok you are watching the news. Everyone has a straight serious face with the squinting of the eyes and all the body language that goes with it. After about 7 minutes they all start laughing and telling the most stupid jokes you ever heard.

At this point you know it is time for the weather....right?

I have lived in many places and watched the local weather. We did a lot of traveling in our RV and watched the news and weather in many many cities. They are all the same. When it is time for the weather it is time for comedy.

The only place I find different is Las Vegas. Here they start off the first minute of the news cast with the weather. Like we ever make any weather news here. If something changes like if it rains for a half hour, half the years annual total, they spend 5 full minutes talking about it.

But one thing they all have in common. They have no idea at all what they are doing. They are rarely accurate. Try this experiment. Keep flipping from one weather report to the other. Most cities have 3 major news stations. Just compare what all 3 say. They all will be very different. Check for yourself.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 AM

83 posts, read 398,082 times
Here the weather lady (I truly love her, she's so much fun) gets truly euphorical each time the temperature is 5 degrees from the normal. Right now we're very cold, usually in late december we have temperatures around 38-40, but now we had 26 or 28 for day, it hasn't been above freezing since December 16th she just told me ( yeah it's 10 before 8, time for the weather on ORF 1), and to show what she means she's wearing a ridiculously fat red pullover and a scarf and leather boots in which she has put her jeans. She tells us how crazy weather was this year, and that aft the jhttest year on record, with 72 degrees in january 2007 and 112 degrees in july we are now having the coldest december ever. Oh my god! It won't be warmer tommorow, a high of only 29 egrees, an tonight the temperature could drop in the teens!!! Hell is going to freeze over! How will I make it to the supermarket tommorrow, it might even be foggy!!

It really is stupid. Whenever it gets a little cold and we have an inch of snow speakers act like this is italy and it isn't supposed to snow, while when the temperature gets a little milder they talk about global warming, melting glaciers and that Austria might be a lifeless dessert 10 years from now... Honestly this year was crazy, and I do believe in global warming, but somebody should tell the weather people that pople have jackets, heating and in case it gets too hot we can go swimming or turn on the air condition.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:41 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,016,659 times
When I was in Tucson for a good part of the summer I noticed that one meteorologist would always make a note to tell viewers how many degrees the actual high was above the average high.

She would usually do this after making a statement like, "it was a hot one out there." Uhh, first of all, I think we can tell whether it's hot or not. It's not like we're all mindless drones running around outside, only to run inside at 5 or 6PM to hear the meterologist tell us what conditions were like.

Second of all, this is Arizona, in the summertime. If the average high is 103 and it hits 106, it's not like an extra 3 degrees makes all the difference between what would be a pleasant afternoon and what was actually experienced.

It's partly the problem of having meterologists from Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio forecasting the weather here. They're so used to the Midwestern climate that they don't take into account that it's supposed to be over 100 here during the summer, and that it's supposed to be 65 in the winter, and that it's not abnormal to go 50-60 days straight without a drop of rain.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:18 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,339,241 times
Huge storm heading our way--HUGE!! Don't go out unless you really have to! Be prepared. Expect flooding. The so-called huge storm finally arrives only to spit out a few rain drops and heads back out! What is with the drama anyhow? The term "alarmist" comes to mind!!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:56 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,171,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Huge storm heading our way--HUGE!! Don't go out unless you really have to! Be prepared. Expect flooding. The so-called huge storm finally arrives only to spit out a few rain drops and heads back out! What is with the drama anyhow? The term "alarmist" comes to mind!!
Yep, I've seen this happen too many times. The best is when we'll get 2 inches of snow and they make a big deal out of it. Have we become a nation of wimps. 2 inches of snow for Chicago within 1 weather event is hardly outside the scope of normal conditions.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,149,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
It got up to 51 degrees today, 5 degrees higher than the 100 year historical average for this time of year. The idiots on the TV are making me feel guilty for living on a day that the temperature is actually above normal. Here are some things I have heard on various TV News and Weather reports since our late "December heat wave" started:

It sure does not seem like winter, there is no snow today (it only snows 3-4 days all winter here)

It is like summer today, it should not be so warm, its scary

50 degrees today, it has to be global warming, I have never seen it this warm ever in late December!

This is more like Spring, I am going to break out my shorts and golf clubs

I hate this weather, it is not like Christmas, I want some real December weather, cold and snowy.

I finally got so tired of hearing all this foolishness I had to stop watching the Weather on TV. (And to think it was only 4-5 degrees above normal)
where do you live?

Old 12-29-2007, 09:44 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,475,584 times
Well, I think that Abrahms and Bettes are pretty cool. Last night Stephanie was talking about the cold front moving down and she actually said, "A huge part of the country will be 10 to 20 degrees below average. Now when was the last time you heard one of them actually say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather