Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 01:12 AM

2,934 posts, read 1,313,635 times

Advertisements

For those wanting to see how the Australian and New Zealand climate compares to countries in to the Northern hemisphere here is a few examples below showing where it would sit in relation to latitude if it were in the Northern hemisphere

If Australia was in the Northern Hemisphere-usa-wide.png

If Australia was in the Northern Hemisphere-ozeuromed.png

If Australia was in the Northern Hemisphere-oz-china-japan.png

If Australia was in the Northern Hemisphere-india.png

If Australia was in the Northern Hemisphere-southamericawide.png

https://www.happylogic.online/austra...n-perspective/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 01:31 PM

927 posts, read 586,701 times
My kind of thread! If this were in 2011 your thread would've been a HOT topic and gotten pages (at least 5) of replies and almost immediately pinned. Too bad our attention spans are so short now it's NOT a good thing!

Old 11-07-2021, 03:36 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
My kind of thread! If this were in 2011 your thread would've been a HOT topic and gotten pages (at least 5) of replies and almost immediately pinned. Too bad our attention spans are so short now it's NOT a good thing!
Not quite. Because a lot of the good, reliable users here were permabanned in an unwarranted banning spree back in 2017-18 by one relentless mod. I don't think you were around back then. The forum was pretty wholesome and engaging between 2011 and 2016. And these users didn't do much wrong. They just had a lot of arguments, which were pretty interesting and more in the likes of heated debates, really. They were not nasty or anything. But this mod didn't like that.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:37 AM

2,934 posts, read 1,313,635 times
Quote:
Cheers, yea I also thought with the borders around the world opening up people might be getting interested again in these two 2 countries in terms of travel and may want to see how it compares to other climates around the world.

Old 11-08-2021, 10:47 AM

207 posts, read 156,954 times
Australia isn't as good of a factor compared to New Zealand because New Zealand is a lot lusher overall, making it possible for despite the smaller land area of the country compared to Australia, it has a lot more going for it due to the natural lushness of the nation.

Pretty sad for such a land where deep into the interior and a bit elevated(Alice Springs) that only gets down to 18 F, but almost nobody lives in Central Australia because it's all useless barren desert. Could be useful for the few bushes and animals who inhabit there, but deserts are really awful when in more subtropical locales as such.

Nevada is a more natural desert area, same with Utah, due to the fact of cold + dry, which should go more hand-in-hand, but it is what it is. I can imagine what Arizona can be if it were more naturally lush, California too. Dryness only goes so far into what it can really benefit the people, since you never hear of water issues east of the Rockies, but they feel like they have to use tons of metal to ship water all across the country just to have the BASICS of society.

Back onto topic, same applies for Australia if they ever decide to make northern Australia into an alternative retirement place for boomers who are tired of having to live in the swamp known as Florida or even the deserts of Arizona. Same with Portugal, which the country itself, like Australia, is mostly dry and opened up for immigrants. However, Firebird told me that Australia really is a closed off country, so maybe my words don't mean as much for this purpose, but maybe growth within can occur .

Australia is surprising, considering they got even an entire aquifer in the northeastern parts of its vast, ugly desert, but the subtropicality really doesn't mean a whole lot if we want to have a balance with nature and humanity. I guess you can say that the desert serves as a purpose of doing the natural immunity solution to climate change: don't create growth.

However, compared to New Zealand, Australia really doesn't have the potential that New Zealand does, but even then, New Zealand is just like Wales, but more subtropical than oceanic really. It's where to both countries in the lush areas, that outside of the temperate rainforests and the eucalyptus forests, is nothing but sheep farms and a few interesting type of farms in between. Kiwis and Aussies really don't know how good they really have it when all they do with the area is just farm sheep. Imagine what it could be if they just realized of how subtropical both countries really are, despite Australia being vastly arid in terms of land area.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:54 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
For those wanting to see how the Australian and New Zealand climate compares to countries in to the Northern hemisphere here is a few examples below showing where it would sit in relation to latitude if it were in the Northern hemisphere

Attachment 232892

Attachment 232893

Attachment 232894

Attachment 232895

Attachment 232896

https://www.happylogic.online/austra...n-perspective/
No matter what it would be colder in winter and hotter in summer. The higher latitudes like far southern Australia would be much colder in winter cause we have way less ocean up here and huge land masses. No southern ocean to protect you, and a weak polar vortex unlike the SH.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:59 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonside421 View Post
Australia isn't as good of a factor compared to New Zealand because New Zealand is a lot lusher overall, making it possible for despite the smaller land area of the country compared to Australia, it has a lot more going for it due to the natural lushness of the nation.

Pretty sad for such a land where deep into the interior and a bit elevated(Alice Springs) that only gets down to 18 F, but almost nobody lives in Central Australia because it's all useless barren desert. Could be useful for the few bushes and animals who inhabit there, but deserts are really awful when in more subtropical locales as such.

Nevada is a more natural desert area, same with Utah, due to the fact of cold + dry, which should go more hand-in-hand, but it is what it is. I can imagine what Arizona can be if it were more naturally lush, California too. Dryness only goes so far into what it can really benefit the people, since you never hear of water issues east of the Rockies, but they feel like they have to use tons of metal to ship water all across the country just to have the BASICS of society.

Back onto topic, same applies for Australia if they ever decide to make northern Australia into an alternative retirement place for boomers who are tired of having to live in the swamp known as Florida or even the deserts of Arizona. Same with Portugal, which the country itself, like Australia, is mostly dry and opened up for immigrants. However, Firebird told me that Australia really is a closed off country, so maybe my words don't mean as much for this purpose, but maybe growth within can occur .

Australia is surprising, considering they got even an entire aquifer in the northeastern parts of its vast, ugly desert, but the subtropicality really doesn't mean a whole lot if we want to have a balance with nature and humanity. I guess you can say that the desert serves as a purpose of doing the natural immunity solution to climate change: don't create growth.

However, compared to New Zealand, Australia really doesn't have the potential that New Zealand does, but even then, New Zealand is just like Wales, but more subtropical than oceanic really. It's where to both countries in the lush areas, that outside of the temperate rainforests and the eucalyptus forests, is nothing but sheep farms and a few interesting type of farms in between. Kiwis and Aussies really don't know how good they really have it when all they do with the area is just farm sheep. Imagine what it could be if they just realized of how subtropical both countries really are, despite Australia being vastly arid in terms of land area.
Huh, check out the hilly areas of Queensland for huge amounts of rainfall and tropical climate. Very lush. NZ is no where as warm as Australia.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-17.771...!7i8230!8i4115

Old 11-08-2021, 05:59 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonside421 View Post

I'm not so sure that I'd agree with Wales as a comparison for NZ for lushness - NZ has quite a sharp divide between lush and dry (one of the most pronounced rain shadows in the world), and the driest areas have only half the rain days of the the driest areas in Wales. Even where I live has higher rainfall than any city or town in Wales, yet would still have less rain days than the driest areas of Wales, and by a good margin...... plus Wales has no skiing - not cool!

While NZ does have plenty of lush areas, and some extremely lush areas, the level of dryness in these photos is still pretty common for much of the country.

Last edited by Joe90; 11-08-2021 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-08-2021, 10:06 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Quote:

I mean you could make it a HOT thread by posting something in it that causes a long and interesting discussion. Though knowing this forum it would inevitably lead to a discussion on subtropical climates and palm trees.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:54 AM

927 posts, read 586,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Not quite. Because a lot of the good, reliable users here were permabanned in an unwarranted banning spree back in 2017-18 by one relentless mod. I don't think you were around back then. The forum was pretty wholesome and engaging between 2011 and 2016. And these users didn't do much wrong. They just had a lot of arguments, which were pretty interesting and more in the likes of heated debates, really. They were not nasty or anything. But this mod didn't like that.
What happened then and is it still a problem today? I have noticed Google no longer lists this site unless you type it in manually where as Reddit is HEAVILY listed meaning searching for topics sucks as the website's own internal search engine you only get one or two results and a bunch of garbage WORSE then Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather