Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:23 PM

671 posts, read 890,627 times

Advertisements

Lets keep this simple,,,winter snow,,summer heat....case closed..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 09:15 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
holy moly.

There's some seriously basic science "fail" in full display on this thread.

Y'all need to read up on the effects of the the earth's "tilt" and "orbit". It will help most of you immensely.
Geez, Iknowright? This is like, 4th grade science stuff. Did some of these people not go to elementary school? Or do they simply lack the cognitive ability to understand it? Very disturbing, either a sad indictment of the school systems, or...

Old 10-11-2014, 09:17 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Geez, Iknowright? This is like, 4th grade science stuff. Did some of these people not go to elementary school? Or do they simply lack the cognitive ability to understand it? Very disturbing, either a sad indictment of the school systems, or...
No kidding. The same type to go out with sunscreen on a warm February day even though the sun it too weak to do any damage at all. Or the same type to say the sun is really strong because it is hot outside.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:51 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I keep hearing talk about how the "strength" of the sun declines as we go into winter, which I don't think is entirely accurate. I do know that as the sun slants, the solar energy is spread out over a wider area, leading to a decline in temperatures, but if you hold up a board (or solar panel) to match the angle of the sun, its rays would be just as strong as you would get in summer - perhaps even more so due to clearer skies and the sun being closer to the Earth in Jan than in July.

Like when I was in the mountains the other day, being out in the sun felt downright warm, while the shade was on the brisk side. I do suppose the UV is lower due to the sun traveling through more atmosphere, but the way it feels on the skin is like how it feels in summer - with the cooler air temps taking the edge off the heat, if that makes sense. Indoors, the sun feels just as hot as it does in summer - so I can't tell any difference there.

What do you folks think?
I still wear sunglasses in the winter. I guess I might have sensitive eyes, but the reflection of the sun from the snow bothers them sometimes.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:34 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
No kidding. The same type to go out with sunscreen on a warm February day even though the sun it too weak to do any damage at all. Or the same type to say the sun is really strong because it is hot outside.
Winter sun can cause minor sunburn. I've seen it a few times at work, during periods of prolonged high pressure.

Last edited by Joe90; 10-11-2014 at 11:12 AM..

Old 10-11-2014, 10:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I keep hearing talk about how the "strength" of the sun declines as we go into winter, which I don't think is entirely accurate. I do know that as the sun slants, the solar energy is spread out over a wider area, leading to a decline in temperatures, but if you hold up a board (or solar panel) to match the angle of the sun, its rays would be just as strong as you would get in summer - perhaps even more so due to clearer skies and the sun being closer to the Earth in Jan than in July.

Like when I was in the mountains the other day, being out in the sun felt downright warm, while the shade was on the brisk side. I do suppose the UV is lower due to the sun traveling through more atmosphere, but the way it feels on the skin is like how it feels in summer - with the cooler air temps taking the edge off the heat, if that makes sense. Indoors, the sun feels just as hot as it does in summer - so I can't tell any difference there.

What do you folks think?
The strength of the sun is pretty constant. It's where you are on the planet and your current inclination of the sun.

I mean, you realize that when the strength of the sun is waning for you in the Northern Hemisphere, its waxing for someone at an antipodal point in the Southern Hemisphere, right?

Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Yep. And usually to the point that you can't feel it in Britain because it's so low in the sky!

Old 10-11-2014, 02:44 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Here in MD the sun is near 90 degrees in the sky on a summer afternoon.

Fast forward to winter and it is usually around 30 degrees.

Axial tilt comes into play. It's now spring in the southern hemisphere.

The big dipper usually hides until spring as well. The different star constellations you see during the year are evidence of axial tilt.

Earth is doing a polar shift and it plays havoc on weather as well.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:19 AM

284 posts, read 282,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Winter sun can cause minor sunburn. I've seen it a few times at work, during periods of prolonged high pressure.
They must have been very pale. It takes me a couple of hours of complete exposure to get burnt in 11+UV
Winter sun here in Melbourne rates around 1 on the UV index...

Old 10-12-2014, 05:08 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The strength of the sun is pretty constant. It's where you are on the planet and your current inclination of the sun.

I mean, you realize that when the strength of the sun is waning for you in the Northern Hemisphere, its waxing for someone at an antipodal point in the Southern Hemisphere, right?
Yes, I understand all of that - the N Hemisphere tilts away from the sun in winter, etc. But when I stand behind that window on a sunny Dec day, it feels just as warm on my skin as it does in July - so yes, the "strength" of the sun is the same in that regard.

So I guess the explanation for the "weakness" of the sun is particularly acute in the high latitudes when it fails to rise high enough above the horizon for its heat energy to be felt on the skin, or through a window or what-have-you.

One thing's for sure - if it gets up into the 70's here in January, and if it's sunny, it's gonna feel hot out in that sun, regardless of what the UV index is. In South Florida, sunscreen is needed all winter long if you have sensitive skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather