Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 12:58 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
Yeah, those palms look awesome. Windmills, IMO, are underrated. My issue is they are fairly slow growers compared to many palms but that of course would depend on certain factors.
Not a fan of windmills, see quite a few of them now in Seattle and London, they've become the high latitude palm for places where palms shouldn't grow. They look like the sad relatives of fan palms, especially because you don't see many windmills in places that can reliably grow tall fan palms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 10:01 PM

208 posts, read 152,526 times
Since I currently live in the Southern Hemisphere, I’ll predict from the last place I’ve been in the Northern Hemisphere.

Moscow, Russia
Lowest daytime high: -12C
Lowest nighttime low: -25C

Old 12-04-2020, 01:13 AM

346 posts, read 199,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Not a fan of windmills, see quite a few of them now in Seattle and London, they've become the high latitude palm for places where palms shouldn't grow. They look like the sad relatives of fan palms, especially because you don't see many windmills in places that can reliably grow tall fan palms.
I like windmills when they are tall (at least about 15 feet tall) and healthy (deep, bright green) with drooping fronds. When they are shorter with flat fronds that stick out - I'm honestly not big into that look but that's how they start out. We got some in a city park near a state university here BUT hey are mature trees and look great imo. What I really don't like about windmills, though, is that are they ARE slow growers, I read they only grow one foot a year.

I do strongly agree with you that windmills are all the rave in colder climates and yeah, places that can grow something like washies or queen palms, which are faster growers from my understanding, are not big on windmills. Unfortunately, windmills is the only option for palm trees (not counting sabal minor or needle palm) for a lot of people in the Eastern US who are in hardiness zone 7 (sabals are next for people living hardiness zone 8 and 9 - zone 9 supports Cali fan palms and very marginal in zone 8). I honestly hate the fact in NC we are very limited on the palms we can grow.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We are 23 miles east of Seattle at 600' elevation. I'll go with:

Lowest Daytime High: 30F/-1C
Lowest Nighttime Low: 17F/-8C

Old 12-04-2020, 02:51 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Coldest max: 60F
Warmest min: 58F

Today the air temp is 72F. The water temp is 58-61F, depending on how far out you take the temp. (It's always 2-3 degrees warmer in the "outside" waters.) That's about 5-6 miles out...

Old 12-04-2020, 10:27 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
25/12f
-4/-11c

Edit: Lol I just noticed that mets guy has the same prediction. I only noticed this after the fact.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:21 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
I like windmills when they are tall (at least about 15 feet tall) and healthy (deep, bright green) with drooping fronds. When they are shorter with flat fronds that stick out - I'm honestly not big into that look but that's how they start out. We got some in a city park near a state university here BUT hey are mature trees and look great imo. What I really don't like about windmills, though, is that are they ARE slow growers, I read they only grow one foot a year.

I do strongly agree with you that windmills are all the rave in colder climates and yeah, places that can grow something like washies or queen palms, which are faster growers from my understanding, are not big on windmills. Unfortunately, windmills is the only option for palm trees (not counting sabal minor or needle palm) for a lot of people in the Eastern US who are in hardiness zone 7 (sabals are next for people living hardiness zone 8 and 9 - zone 9 supports Cali fan palms and very marginal in zone 8). I honestly hate the fact in NC we are very limited on the palms we can grow.
While I will say they aren't the most attractive palms, I don't think they look that bad either. Certainly agree that juveniles grown under shade are completely different looking, and can rival just about any palm imo - probably got a hundred or more young ones in the deep dark gullies around the house, not sure how they established, by probably by rats

Washingtonias are almost extinct here - people just don't like them. Queen plans are pretty popular for the speed and low maintenance, but Windmills will always be the most common (even if they're constantly getting chopped down about the place), just by virtue of the seed being spread so easily.

Here's some I drive by most days

Spoiler

My prediction for my coldest maximum this coming winter, will be 9.3C.

Coldest minmum will be -4.1C - both are the averages since 2008.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-05-2020 at 12:43 AM..

Old 12-05-2020, 04:46 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Coldest high... -2
Coldest low... -20

Old 12-06-2020, 03:28 AM

559 posts, read 748,241 times
Coldest daytime high: 24
Coldest nighttime low: 3

Old 12-06-2020, 04:57 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Coldest high: 3c/37f

Coldest low: -2c/28f
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather