Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The hottest or the coldest place in Australia?
Wyndham 15 38.46%
Mount Wellington 24 61.54%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:02 PM

633 posts, read 661,175 times

Advertisements

I have to choose Wyndham. As bad as Wyndham is, it is objectively better than Mount Wellington (at 4,170 ft).
Mount Wellington can't support a forest at that elevation. The inability to grow crops is a deal breaker for me.

------------------------------

I think your assessment of the hottest and coldest places is a bit flawed. Although averages matter, you can't ignore record lows, especially when there is a difference of 25°F... and the time of year for which these places are being picked for.

Isn't Charlotte's Pass the coldest place in Australia?
Charlotte Pass, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technically Mount Wellington has a slightly lower annual mean (difference of 0.2°F) but Charlotte's Pass has a much lower record low (-9.4°F vs 15.6°F!) and a lower winter average than Mount Wellington...

I think Oodnadatta currently holds the highest recorded temperature in Australia but the averages aren't nearly as high as Wyndham so it is understandable why it wouldn't be picked.
Oodnadatta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also i find it hard to believe Wyndham can maintain an average high of 98.4°F in January and 96.8°F in February during the rainy season with half of each month recording substantial rainfall. it doesn't look right. i guess since its not 8" of a constant drizzle but in the form of quick thunderstorms that come late in the day after peak temperatures have been reached

Marble Bar, AU is a good contender as well...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_...tralia#Climate

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 05-26-2015 at 11:24 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 01:09 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
I think your assessment of the hottest and coldest places is a bit flawed. Although averages matter, you can't ignore record lows, especially when there is a difference of 25°F... and the time of year for which these places are being picked for.

Isn't Charlotte's Pass the coldest place in Australia?
Charlotte Pass, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Technically Mount Wellington has a slightly lower annual mean (difference of 0.2°F) but Charlotte's Pass has a much lower record low (-9.4°F vs 15.6°F!) and a lower winter average than Mount Wellington...

I think Oodnadatta currently holds the highest recorded temperature in Australia but the averages aren't nearly as high as Wyndham so it is understandable why it wouldn't be picked.
Oodnadatta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also i find it hard to believe Wyndham can maintain an average high of 98.4°F in January and 96.8°F in February during the rainy season with half of each month recording substantial rainfall. it doesn't look right. i guess since its not 8" of a constant drizzle but in the form of quick thunderstorms that come late in the day after peak temperatures have been reached

Marble Bar, AU is a good contender as well...
Marble Bar, Western Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Normally, people would go with the average yearly highs and lows. Records are just, well, records. They can be a fluke. I went for places that were thoroughly hot or cold. Don't see why this is "flawed"...

Oodnadatta is rather chilly in the winter, especially at nights. I find it surprising that you suggested it as the "hottest climate" in AUS. I mean, its winter lows are akin to the winter highs of Denver.

Marble Bar sees mild "winters", which are pretty much springlike and comfortable overall (despite its scorching hot summers). Wyndham was the kind of a climate that was hot all year round, without "relief" (that MB provides). Charlotte Pass was an alright suggestion but, as you know, Mount Wellington had lower average temps all year round.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:31 PM

633 posts, read 661,175 times
i shouldn't have used the word "flawed". i guess my point was that you have a place like Mount Wellington which has never seen 14°F/-10°C but Charlotte Pass probably sees 14°F/-10°C every year...

i was just thinking that maybe averages aren't everything and the extremes should play some kind of role in the decision. Say you compare Reykjavik, Iceland to Fargo, North Dakota:

Reykjavík - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reykjavik Annual Mean: 41.9°F/5.5°C
Reykjavik January Mean: 33.6°F/0.8°C
Reykjavik Record Low: -3°F/-19.4°C

Fargo, North Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fargo Annual Mean: 42.2°F/5.6°C
Fargo January Mean: 9.2°F/-12.6°C
Fargo Record Low: -48°F/-44°C

so... Reykjavik is colder? i know its coming to a vague conclusion for two places that are very different. i just don't like to look at a place as colder or warmer just because of the averages...

in fact, i'm curious about what most people think. i'm going to create a thread about it.

--------------------

I wasn't really suggesting Oodnadatta, just mentioning its record for giggles...

But as for Marble Bar, it does have a hotter summer average and a higher record high. so it has a few months of simply very warm weather, but when the heat comes, it hits harder than it does in Wyndham (probably because it has a weaker wet season).

Some snippets regarding Marble Bar:

"The town set a world record of most consecutive days of 100 °F (37.8 °C) or above, during a period of 160 days from 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924."

"During December and January, temperatures in excess of 45 °C (113 °F) are common."

Can't say the same for Wyndham...

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 05-27-2015 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
But as for Marble Bar, it does have a hotter summer average and a higher record high. so it has a few months of simply very warm weather, but when the heat comes, it hits harder than it does in Wyndham (probably because it has a weaker wet season).

Some snippets regarding Marble Bar:

"The town set a world record of most consecutive days of 100 °F (37.8 °C) or above, during a period of 160 days from 31 October 1923 to 7 April 1924."

"During December and January, temperatures in excess of 45 °C (113 °F) are common."

Can't say the same for Wyndham...
That's, of course, true.

However, it's just that Wyndham is consistently hot. And not just hot, but very hot - over 35C+ most of the year. Marble Bar, whilst hotter in the summer (40C+), has lukewarm and rather pleasant "winters".

Old 02-22-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
Obviously Mt.Wellington, Wyndham is reminiscent of the worse parts of India. (I hate India's climate)
Exactly my thoughts. Wyndham is not only hot, but also very humid.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:40 AM

44 posts, read 36,021 times
Wyndham lol. Mt Wellington is a polar hole. Wyndham should be the site of the largest and most important city in Australia, but alas the early settlers drank too much ****en rum and steered their ships in the wrong direction.

Not only is it one of the best climates in Australia, but also has some of the best and most unique scenery in Australia.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:21 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
Mount Wellington,im tired of hot climates.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:22 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,644 times
Mount Wellington. It's not nearly as extreme as Wyndham. The summers in Mount Wellington are comfortable, while Wyndham doesn't get comfortable weather.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:26 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Wyndham is a town, while Wellington is a mountain. Wyndham should be compared to Hobart, to which it would lose famously.

Also loses to Wellington, IMO.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Wyndham is a town, while Wellington is a mountain. Wyndham should be compared to Hobart, to which it would lose famously.

Also loses to Wellington, IMO.
The poll wasn't about populated places. And Hobart is relatively warm compared to actual cold places in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather