Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more livable?
A tropical climate without air conditioning 45 59.21%
An oceanic climate without heating 31 40.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:47 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,755,344 times

Advertisements

What LA mex said is very true. I am up early this morning to volunteer at a race. I have a weather station at my house (67) my car temperature in bil baggs park (south area of key biscayne in 66). The airport is 68. The urban heat island has a larger effect than the ocean which is less than 74 degrees right now. If you want to check the SST search 'virginia key composite plot'. The effect is even more noticable in the day time. For example yesterday at 2pm my house was 77 and the airport was about 82. This was due to the wind swinging around from the east and drawing in mild ocean water. The only time of year in my experience that we are warmer than the airport is summer low temperatures (usually upper 70s airport around 80 here) we almost never hit 90 here on key biscayne though it only happens a few days every year. So yes G8RCAT A small island on the immediate coast is cooler than a location 10 miles inland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:21 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,376,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
If we compared London to Miami, I would say Miami without a/c by far is more liveable

Really? I'd like to challenge that haha. Miami has horribly oppressive heat, and London is extremely mild year round. Their winters don't go below freezing for long and their summer's don't stay above 80 for long. If you wanna keep cool you open a window, if you wanna keep warm you put on a sweater.

I'm from Miami and I cannot last a night without AC let alone a year or more. It is too hot here.

Funny thing, I was just in Texas this past week, and on Wednesday afternoon it was 38 Fahrenheit and I had to tell my boyfriend to put on the AC in the car because I felt hot with my jacket on and the sun beaming down, even though the air was cold outside. The cold is just much more tolerable to me than the heat

Old 11-13-2014, 10:22 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,376,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Mankind is originary from the tropics. Tropical climate is the only one to which humans are naturally adapted.
Living everwhere esle need some kind of heating during the cold season. Humans are not made for cold, without clothes they are well around 25-30c. Below this needs clothes and beliw 20c need heating.

Whitey is from temperate Europe, honey. Maybe if you go back thousands of years ago you'll find tropical ancestors, but there's a big old ice age in the way.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:42 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,649,888 times
An oceanic climate without heating.
You can always dress heavier.

You can't do much in 90 °F/32 °C temperatures without A/C.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:25 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,516,443 times
An Oceanic climate without heating would be worse, if you lived in a shack- the humidity would be an even worse than it would be in tropical climates. At the same time, modern technology, materials and design mean that heating can almost be done away with - at least in a warmer, sunnier Oceanic climate like mine, and in a decent house.

I only use heating at night time in our house, during winter (other than rainy days) The design means that the low angle sun shines in the house, all day.The other 8 months of the year are heating free. The last few nights have had minimums of 1-3C, with ground temperatures of -4C (our lovely late spring weather ), yet the house will be around 19C in the morning. Tiles and paving are a good way of storing the sun's heat.

People have lived in tropical climates without A/C for a long time and still do. Passive cooling systems were often built into dwellings, Lifestyle and clothing were adapted to cope better.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:21 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,745,014 times
Tropical climate. Heat baths are good for you.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:00 PM

2,468 posts, read 2,610,817 times
Oceanic without heating.
I'm used to cool and even cold houses.
My average high for January is just below 7ºC and I never use central heating(although I have it), I just use the fireplace, and deal just fine with the chill of thee rest of the house (10ºC in the garage, 13/15ºC kitchen/bedrooms).

Now the cold part
When I was a kid I used to spend my 2 week christmas and easter holidays in my grandparent's stone(granite) house, and I think I'm not exaggerating if I tell you the bedrooms (far away from the living room fireplace), were a mere 7/10ºC warmer than the outside.
I recon there were some mornings the room temperature was 7ºC or so, the condensation formed when I exaled was very very clear

Old 11-29-2014, 03:15 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,755,344 times
Oceanic without heating...You can always dress for the cold. Cant say the same for a muggy 85f night

Old 05-02-2015, 10:38 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,640,773 times
insulation?

Old 05-03-2015, 05:54 AM

824 posts, read 685,786 times
Oceanic without heating, all you really need is a jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather