Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more livable?
A tropical climate without air conditioning 47 60.26%
An oceanic climate without heating 31 39.74%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Melbourne is not what I had in mind; it's like Santa Monica with more rainfall spread throughout the year. It's record lows are warmer than many locations on the Southern California coast.
Honolulu is also not what I had in mind for "tropical" just because it's less humid and gets more breeze.

I specified Seattle, London, and Paris for oceanic.
I specified Miami, Bangkok, and Acapulco for tropical.
Santa Monica is not like Melbourne, its warmer than Melbourne, sunnier, never has recorded a low below freezing, its frost free, a much better climate.

Melbourne Lows are colder than anything recorded in the LA basin, not just the coast. 27 F record low, USC's record low is higher than that, 28 F. Melbourne has seen 30s in summer, nowhere in SoCal does that happen. the Southern CA coast is much warmer in the night, Melbourne's yearly avg low is 50, Santa Monica's (on the pier, DTSM would be warmer) coldest monthly low on average is 51 F, so warmer than Melbourne's yearly low.

Honolulu isnt Tropical to you? you include Miami, a humid subtropical climate, and not Honolulu? Honolulu, bangkok, and Acapulco all have year round heat, with all months in the 80s/90s. Miami's average winter lows have rarely or never been seen in these other locations, if anything Honolulu should be grouped with the other two. Ive been too Miami and Honolulu and lived in Acapulco and can easily tell you that honolulu feels more alike to Acapulco than Miami to Acapulco, actually Miami and Acapulco only feel alike 4 months out of the year. Miami's July is Acapulco's December.

no harm intended, i just think its odd for you to think this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 02:48 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,725 times
Option B. Here (tropical), without AC means realfeel/heat index indoors can reach 40-45 C.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:14 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Santa Monica is not like Melbourne, its warmer than Melbourne, sunnier, never has recorded a low below freezing, its frost free, a much better climate.

Melbourne Lows are colder than anything recorded in the LA basin, not just the coast. 27 F record low, USC's record low is higher than that, 28 F. Melbourne has seen 30s in summer, nowhere in SoCal does that happen. the Southern CA coast is much warmer in the night, Melbourne's yearly avg low is 50, Santa Monica's (on the pier, DTSM would be warmer) coldest monthly low on average is 51 F, so warmer than Melbourne's yearly low.

Honolulu isnt Tropical to you? you include Miami, a humid subtropical climate, and not Honolulu? Honolulu, bangkok, and Acapulco all have year round heat, with all months in the 80s/90s. Miami's average winter lows have rarely or never been seen in these other locations, if anything Honolulu should be grouped with the other two. Ive been too Miami and Honolulu and lived in Acapulco and can easily tell you that honolulu feels more alike to Acapulco than Miami to Acapulco, actually Miami and Acapulco only feel alike 4 months out of the year. Miami's July is Acapulco's December. Miami is more similar to those other tropical places in summer so I'm guessing you were there in winter.

no harm intended, i just think its odd for you to think this.
Okay: Melbourne winters are a little bit colder than Santa Monica but the summers on the pier are comparable. As for record lows, many parts of the L.A. basin (the valleys, especially) have seen record lows lower than 27F. It's only the places that have the coolest summer average daytime highs that are totally freezeproof. Laguna Beach has even seen a record low of 21 F! Downtown L.A. has accumulated snow which is something Melbourne has failed to do.

The reason I excluded Honolulu from this poll is that their summers are nowhere NEARLY as humid as Miami and the other tropical places in this poll and that's when the AC factor kicks in. Honolulu is very similar in winter and summer; temperatures in the low 80s, moderate humidity, and a constant seabreeze to take the edge of the heat. Miami has MUCH hotter and more humid summers than Honolulu (but cooler winters) while Bangkok and Acapulco stay hot and humid year round.

Miami's average winter low is 60 F; the same as Laguna beach's average summer low. It's only the fact that Miami gets cold snaps that keep it from being truly tropical. The L.A. basin's average winter lows range from the 40s to very low 50s at those moderated coastal microclimates. Some parts of the inland empire have average winter lows in the upper 30s/low 40s. Sorry; but L.A. could never qualify as tropical based on temperatures just because the places that stay "warm" at night in winter don't have hot enough summers. The places that get hot on a regular basis in summer get too cold at night in winter.

Just to stay on topic, FYI to the other forumers (I'm sure L.A-Mex knows this): the vast majority homes in all of the L.A. basin have central heating and most residents use it during the night and early morning hours from December through March. On the immediate coast, most homes do not have AC. It's only when you go inland or so, that AC becomes more common. Even inland, the nights cool off nicely enough to sleep with a window open and AC is only in widespread use during heat waves.

A real tropical climate would not even need to think about central heating or space heaters.

Back to the topic, I'd choose a tropical climate without AC. Yes, it would be uncomfortable but I'd have fans in every room and would find it far more bearable than bundling up indoors.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 11-04-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 11:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Miami's average winter low is 60 F; the same as Laguna beach's average summer low. It's only the fact that Miami gets cold snaps that keep it from being truly tropical. The L.A. basin's average winter lows range from the 40s to very low 50s at those moderated coastal microclimates. Some parts of the inland empire have average winter lows in the upper 30s/low 40s. Sorry; but L.A. could never qualify as tropical based on temperatures just because the places that stay "warm" at night in winter don't have hot enough summers. The places that get hot on a regular basis in summer get too cold at night in winter.

A real tropical climate would not even need to think about central heating or space heaters.
I don't think anyone has claimed Los Angeles is a real tropical climate. People have described it as subtropical, which it obviously is by temperature (though its precipitation makes it a different category. Miami is technically tropical by Koppen, Koppen classification doesn't factor in extremes. Frosts are infrequent and mild enough that most tropical vegetation survives. Brazil has a few similar tropical climates that are prone to cold snaps.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think anyone has claimed Los Angeles is a real tropical climate. People have described it as subtropical, which it obviously is by temperature (though its precipitation makes it a different category. Miami is technically tropical by Koppen, Koppen classification doesn't factor in extremes. Frosts are infrequent and mild enough that most tropical vegetation survives. Brazil has a few similar tropical climates that are prone to cold snaps.
One poster has claimed that its tropical if you classify by temperature only and that coconut palms could thrive with irrigation.
I agree that it's subtropical Mediterranean.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:39 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,290 times
A tropical climate without air conditioning, and it's not even a contest, guy, for god's sake!

People have lived and prospered in such areas for millennia. The expansion towards cooler areas was indisputably aided by artificial heating beyond clothes. Air conditioning is a fairly new invention and even today most people living in tropical areas do it without it. What about people living in Oceanic climates without heating? Much rarer, almost unheard I'd say.

Obviously house types play a role. As many modern constructions seem to be very prone to heat retention, I guess it may have lead to the belief that cool weather without heating is better...

(It has nothing to do with the type of climate you like most. I personally don't like tropical climates at all.)

Old 11-04-2014, 02:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Okay: Melbourne winters are a little bit colder than Santa Monica but the summers on the pier are comparable. As for record lows, many parts of the L.A. basin (the valleys, especially) have seen record lows lower than 27F. It's only the places that have the coolest summer average daytime highs that are totally freezeproof. Laguna Beach has even seen a record low of 21 F! Downtown L.A. has accumulated snow which is something Melbourne has failed to do.

The reason I excluded Honolulu from this poll is that their summers are nowhere NEARLY as humid as Miami and the other tropical places in this poll and that's when the AC factor kicks in. Honolulu is very similar in winter and summer; temperatures in the low 80s, moderate humidity, and a constant seabreeze to take the edge of the heat. Miami has MUCH hotter and more humid summers than Honolulu (but cooler winters) while Bangkok and Acapulco stay hot and humid year round.

Just to stay on topic, FYI to the other forumers (I'm sure L.A-Mex knows this): the vast majority homes in all of the L.A. basin have central heating and most residents use it during the night and early morning hours from December through March. On the immediate coast, most homes do not have AC. It's only when you go inland or so, that AC becomes more common. Even inland, the nights cool off nicely enough to sleep with a window open and AC is only in widespread use during heat waves.

Back to the topic, I'd choose a tropical climate without AC. Yes, it would be uncomfortable but I'd have fans in every room and would find it far more bearable than bundling up indoors.
Your tropical climate example, Miami, gets cold enough to need heat in the winter. I was there when it was in the low 30's at night. That's why Honolulu is a better example.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Your tropical climate example, Miami, gets cold enough to need heat in the winter. I was there when it was in the low 30's at night. That's why Honolulu is a better example.
Once every 5-10 years, they'll get an overnight freeze but they get heat and humidity every single day from May through October. It would be a lot easier to live without heat in Miami than AC. The cold spells are so short lived that you can bundle up indoors for a day or two before you go back to 70s during the day and upper 50s at night.

Honolulu's summers are a lot less humid and oppressive than Miami's. Their winters are also always warm without any chance of cold spells. IMO, Honolulu requires no climate control whatsoever because of it's moderate humidity and trade winds. I wanted to specificially choose places with hot and humid summers with heat indexes of 100 F on a regular basis for at least 4 months out of the year without the relief of cooling at night. Honolulu is too moderatred.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:

A little bit, more like 10 F colder than SM. you really cant use the pier to describe SM, but i would say that DTSM would be a good degree or 2 warmer at night and day in winter and about 4 to 5 in summer.

Hey, i know you are unaware of SoCal's geography but the LA basin and the valleys are two separate things. So what are you implying by saying that Melbourne hasnt seen snow but DTLA has, keep in mind that Miami has also seen snow, so think carefully of how you respond to this.

you finally seem to akckowledge that honoulu's summers arent quite as humid, since in a past thread you argued that miami and honolulu saw humid heat, but LA saw dry heat, so that would make LA more like seattle, that logic though.

anyways, honolulu's summer temps and Miami's summer temps are quite identical, varying by one degree making honolulu warmer (F temps, it depends what you think is hotter many people prefer humid heat, many prefer dry heat).

im pretty sure Laguna beach sees warmer lows than 60 F, but whatever.

again showing your knowledge of LA and metro area, most homes "heating system" is the same as the cooling/AC system, it has it for heat and for AC. and again to show how little you know of this i in all my years living in Socal (Costa Mesa, Downey, Avocado heights, LA) have used heating less times than i have fingers on my hands. AC is used near the coast (ocean to about 5 miles inland) on about 10 to 20 days yearly (90 F+), heating is used 0 days (below 45 F). and inland places like san bernardino, woodland hills, perris, glendora, sun city, etc... can use Ac from late May to early October and use heating from late Nov to early March. I probably use heating about 5 to 10 days a year mainly in Dec and Jan (below 45 F) and use AC from May to October (90 F+). if you actually lived here you would know that most homes from East LA and Montebello inland (Inland LA basin and valleys) have the big roof AC unit systems, while most of the LA basin has the AC unit on the ground toward the side of the yards or in the "hallways" between your homes and the fence separating your neighbors and your property. AC is used most every day, as normal average highs in some LA Metro microclimate average mid 90s to 100 F. heat waves would just keep the AC's running longer.

true a true tropical climate wount need to think about heating, this is why i dont refer to LA as tropical, nor do i refer to miami as tropical, is as simple as that, you worded it perfectly.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Once every 5-10 years, they'll get an overnight freeze but they get heat and humidity every single day from May through October. It would be a lot easier to live without heat in Miami than AC. The cold spells are so short lived that you can bundle up indoors for a day or two before you go back to 70s during the day and upper 50s at night.

Honolulu's summers are a lot less humid and oppressive than Miami's. Their winters are also always warm without any chance of cold spells. IMO, Honolulu requires no climate control whatsoever because of it's moderate humidity and trade winds. I wanted to specificially choose places with hot and humid summers with heat indexes of 100 F on a regular basis for at least 4 months out of the year without the relief of cooling at night. Honolulu is too moderatred.
really because just this weekend Miami experieced lows in the upper 40s and low 50s. now lets see what winter holds for them.

if you are really implying that Miami is warmer than honolulu just because it "needs" AC while Honololu doesnt (also a big misunderstanding) you must really be confused, since Honolulu doesnt drop below 82/65, yet Miami sees 74/59 or 75/60 (conflicting sources but really the same thing) in Jan and sees freezes biannually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather