Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more livable?
A tropical climate without air conditioning 47 60.26%
An oceanic climate without heating 31 39.74%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times

Advertisements

I don't need a/c when the temperature is 30C/86F during the day and 20C/68F at night, I enjoy the pleasantly warm nights and windows are enough to cool down the room mostly. I found this to be true when I was near Nice in late August where highs were 28C-31C and nights were 19C-24C with constant sunshine.

Here, when the average max temperature drops to around 15C for a few days, that is when you start to need heating.. we put ours on the other day for the first time when the max temperatures dropped radically from 17C-23C to the current 10C-13C with lower minima.

I would like to see someone survive a winter in the UK without heating.. it would not be pleasant. Our boiler broke this January, and even though it was a mild January (10C/5C) the house quickly cooled down and it became unpleasant quite quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I don't need a/c when the temperature is 30C/86F during the day and 20C/68F at night, I enjoy the pleasantly warm nights and windows are enough to cool down the room mostly. I found this to be true when I was near Nice in late August where highs were 28C-31C and nights were 19C-24C with constant sunshine.
I don't either, though it often comes down to construction and sun exposure. And of course personal preference. Most tropical places are hotter than that. Brisbane summers and Honolulu are at the mild end for tropical climates. A place like Hong Kong would be stuffy and steamy inside without A/C in the winter.

Quote:
I would like to see someone survive a winter in the UK without heating.. it would not be pleasant. Our boiler broke this January, and even though it was a mild January (10C/5C) the house quickly cooled down and it became unpleasant quite quickly.
I'd say the limit when a house gets too cold without heat is when the outside mean temperature is around 50°F.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Tough..

All comes down to that thing called layers. You can just keep layering up with no heat but how long can you stay in water with no a/c. Using the extreme ends of temps.

Do fires count as "heat"?

To stay warm you need layers or a fire.

To stay cool you need water or a fan. Without electric your screwed or a prune in heat. lol

Old 11-06-2014, 01:12 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I can tell the difference.

+1. Well said. I bet those announcers wouldn't be raving about if it they had to stay in Miami without air conditioning. There's definitely a huge difference between a climate like Miami and one that gets dry heat in the lower 80s with nights in the 60s. The latter is somewhat tolerable without AC to most people (though still not tolerable for me). But to live in Miami without air conditioning? Forget it.
I grew up in NYC and lived in Miami a few years a long time ago. If you can get the median for the day below 75, keep the humidity reasonable and cool off to the mid 60's at night you can usually get away without AC. That is not Miami weather for at least 7-8 months. Looked at Acapulco coldest month averages 87/74 so unless you live way up in a high rise facing the ocean breeze will be even tougher there..

Coldest month in Seattle is still warmer than the four coldest months in NYC of Dec-March. Would not be easy being without heat a few months of cold grey 47/36 mid winter days but far easier than being without AC in Miami's endless humid 90/79 days that stretch from May through Oct.. Best climates in the east coast more comparable to the Mediterranean or California are found in the mid Atlantic states between DC and Atlanta IMHO....

Old 11-06-2014, 05:32 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,884 times
I quite enjoy reading this weather forum! Especially the climate battles. Just decided to join so I could be a part of these discussions. Anyway relating to this thread I live just of the coast of Miami on a island called key Biscayne. Through my experience living here I would definitely say tropical without A/C is worse. However there are only about 4-5 months here where we need A/C. As someone else already pointed out last week (just after Halloween) in the neighborhood where I live we had a low of 52 and a high of 68. Right now it's about 74 and should reach the upper 60s tonight so I defiantly could do without A/C. However I dont think Miami is a fair place to use as a tropical climate. Pretty much every year has a high below 60 where I live. Partially because our highs year round tend to be lower than the airport. EX (MIA high 71 Key biscayne 68) this was last Sunday. Our lows tend to be around the same. A better tropical climate to use for these examples would probably be somewhere like Manaus. Anyway I hope to be active on these forums and am wishing for a cold winter!

Old 11-06-2014, 05:42 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,276,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I quite enjoy reading this weather forum! Especially the climate battles. Just decided to join so I could be a part of these discussions. Anyway relating to this thread I live just of the coast of Miami on a island called key Biscayne. Through my experience living here I would definitely say tropical without A/C is worse. However there are only about 4-5 months here where we need A/C. As someone else already pointed out last week (just after Halloween) in the neighborhood where I live we had a low of 52 and a high of 68. Right now it's about 74 and should reach the upper 60s tonight so I defiantly could do without A/C. However I dont think Miami is a fair place to use as a tropical climate. Pretty much every year has a high below 60 where I live. Partially because our highs year round tend to be lower than the airport. EX (MIA high 71 Key biscayne 68) this was last Sunday. Our lows tend to be around the same. A better tropical climate to use for these examples would probably be somewhere like Manaus. Anyway I hope to be active on these forums and am wishing for a cold winter!
Me too. Welcome!

Old 11-06-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Me too. Welcome!
Thanks tommy! Hoping for a winter like 2010

Old 11-07-2014, 04:46 AM

In my "Tropical" location near Miami A/C is off temperature is 66

Old 11-07-2014, 10:23 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
In my "Tropical" location near Miami A/C is off temperature is 66
I'm sure it is! Seeing the even the airport only got to 68.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I'm sure it is! Seeing the even the airport only got to 68.
The airport and downtown tend to be warmer than most of the suburbs and rural areas. (Urban heat island). So 66 where I live makes perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather