Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more livable?
A tropical climate without air conditioning 47 60.26%
An oceanic climate without heating 31 39.74%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 01:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times

Advertisements

Mankind is originary from the tropics. Tropical climate is the only one to which humans are naturally adapted.
Living everwhere esle need some kind of heating during the cold season. Humans are not made for cold, without clothes they are well around 25-30c. Below this needs clothes and beliw 20c need heating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 02:58 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,455,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Mankind is originary from the tropics. Tropical climate is the only one to which humans are naturally adapted.
Living everwhere esle need some kind of heating during the cold season. Humans are not made for cold, without clothes they are well around 25-30c. Below this needs clothes and beliw 20c need heating.
First humans were evolved in Western Africa, which is in the tropics, but in the highlands, so humans' native climate is cool, not hot.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
The airport and downtown tend to be warmer than most of the suburbs and rural areas. (Urban heat island). So 66 where I live makes perfect sense.
You said you live on Key Biscayne

Old 11-07-2014, 03:42 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Probably tropical with A/C, but they'd both be uncomfortable.
I found Honolulu surprisingly not that hot in summer (high rise probably helps though), so tropical oceanic may be bearable.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:27 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
You said you live on Key Biscayne
I do... Your point? Look at a map of miami

Old 11-07-2014, 05:35 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,110 times
tropical isnt too good,here at 7 S is hot all year round.. i dont like it

Old 11-07-2014, 06:51 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I do... Your point? Look at a map of miami
So a small island right at the immediate coast is cooler at night than 10 miles inland. Okay

Old 11-07-2014, 07:02 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
So a small island right at the immediate coast is cooler at night than 10 miles inland. Okay
if he says so then yes, he obviously lives there, so he is the expert on his climate, really funny how often other forumers here disregard contributions from other posters on their climate through personal experience (unless if the claim is absurd, which this one isnt).

I have a fair understanding of Miami's Climate and urban heat effect so a completely concrete covered area, larger than the size of key Biscayne, with lots of vehicle and air traffic, and all that asphalt and lack of greenery contributing to hotter day temps than the "real" Miami neighborhoods, with landscaping and greenery, and terminal buildings and runways releasing heat at night cause for hotter day temps.

when i arrived in MIA the airport felt hotter than the neighborhoods i explored and visited (inland and coastal), so yes his/her statement makes sense.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:20 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Which is more livable?

A) A tropical climate without AC

Hot, humid summers like Bangkok, Miami, or Acapulco. Some have comfortably mild winters while others stay hot year round.

or

B) An oceanic climate without heating (central or space heating)

Chilly, overcast, damp and drizzly 9 months a year with a little bit of snow in winter but comfortable summers like Seattle, London, Paris.
4 me it depends on the tropical climate vs which oceanic climate. If it's an inferno like Ahmedabad Ahmedabad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia vs a mild oceanic climate like Mossel bay Mossel Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia than I obviously chose mossel bay. But if It's a mild tropical climate like Armenia,Colombia Armenia, Colombia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Against a fregid oceanic climate like the price edward islands Prince Edward Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia then the choice is obvious. Overall however I'd much rather be without AC in a tropical climate then without heat in an oceanic climate, scratch that even if I had heat in an oceanic climate I'd still prefer the tropics...

Old 11-07-2014, 11:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
if he says so then yes, he obviously lives there, so he is the expert on his climate, really funny how often other forumers here disregard contributions from other posters on their climate through personal experience (unless if the claim is absurd, which this one isnt).

I have a fair understanding of Miami's Climate and urban heat effect so a completely concrete covered area, larger than the size of key Biscayne, with lots of vehicle and air traffic, and all that asphalt and lack of greenery contributing to hotter day temps than the "real" Miami neighborhoods, with landscaping and greenery, and terminal buildings and runways releasing heat at night cause for hotter day temps.

when i arrived in MIA the airport felt hotter than the neighborhoods i explored and visited (inland and coastal), so yes his/her statement makes sense.
Yea it also depends on the time of year, during the spring coastal areas are slightly cooler than inland areas even at night. But during the fall they are warmer than inland areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather