Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 12:01 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
1989 had generally good weather in London; May had 310 hrs of sun and there were about 60 days above 25c.
Apparently in July 1911, Much of Southern England had between 350 - 380 hours, in fact Bognor Regis (near Portsmouth) received something like 384 hours of sunshine, which is a record for the UK. Much of Southern England sore above 350 hours again in 1976 and 2006, but not like in 1911! Also 1911, like 1976, was an actual summer, that lasted 3 months!! LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1911_Un...gdom_heat_wave
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Un...gdom_heat_wave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:25 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Apparently in July 1911, Much of Southern England had between 350 - 380 hours, in fact Bognor Regis (near Portsmouth) received something like 384 hours of sunshine, which is a record for the UK. Much of Southern England sore above 350 hours again in 1976 and 2006, but not like in 1911! Also 1911, like 1976, was an actual summer, that lasted 3 months!! LOL
1911 United Kingdom heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1976 United Kingdom heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hehehehe I wish you to have such these summers every year! Summer 1976 for here was the wettest and coolest here. :P

Old 11-06-2014, 01:04 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Yes London seems to have the biggest climate misconceptions of any other place in the world on this forum & despite others repeatedly pointing out facts, these misconceptions don't stop...
Ah the old 'British weather is terrible' misconception, it won't matter what the reality is, what the facts are or even how often local people point out otherwise you will NEVER change this ole stereotype, just look at how many people on here from the other side of the world seem to think they know better than the English people themselves! Look at people from Finland telling us how 'crap' the British weather is when they themselves live in a freezer for half the year! Let's look at the truth of the matter shall we - British weather may not be the best in the world but its FAR from the worst! I cycle to work all year but if I wanted to take the car in the winter time I wouldn't have to dig it out of the snow first, British weather boring? Just think of that the next time you're standing at a bus stop and its minus 10, or the next time you're working hard and its 40 degrees C! Just think how 'bad' the British weather is if you live in a part of Africa where the rains keep failing and the people are starving to death, Or you are sheltering underground because a hurricane is ripping your house to bits! I know a Canadian woman who while in Canads lost her toes from frostbite because her bus late, she would still have them if she was waiting for a late bus in Bristol! Yeah the British weather really is 'the worst in the world' isn't it!

Old 11-06-2014, 01:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,385,502 times
Oceanic climate has it's minuses and as well it's bonuses.Bonuses are mild warm early springs (haha, I remember once I saw a there was a news about an early daffodil in a park of London-and it was in the middle of January...) and long autumns. Certainly that type of climate is perfect for gardeners, for instance.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:17 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Look at people from Finland telling us how 'crap' the British weather is when they themselves live in a freezer for half the year!
Your harping on about peoples misconceptions of the British Climate yet you're spouting out a misconception.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helsinki#Climate

Quote:
Let's look at the truth of the matter shall we - British weather may not be the best in the world but its FAR from the worst! I cycle to work all year but if I wanted to take the car in the winter time I wouldn't have to dig it out of the snow first, British weather boring? Just think of that the next time you're standing at a bus stop and its minus 10, or the next time you're working hard and its 40 degrees C! Just think how 'bad' the British weather is if you live in a part of Africa where the rains keep failing and the people are starving to death, Or you are sheltering underground because a hurricane is ripping your house to bits! I know a Canadian woman who while in Canads lost her toes from frostbite because her bus late, she would still have them if she was waiting for a late bus in Bristol! Yeah the British weather really is 'the worst in the world' isn't it!
Riddled with stool.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:28 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Look at people from Finland telling us how 'crap' the British weather is when they themselves live in a freezer for half the year! Let's look at the truth of the matter shall we - British weather may not be the best in the world but its FAR from the worst! I cycle to work all year but if I wanted to take the car in the winter time I wouldn't have to dig it out of the snow first, British weather boring? Just think of that the next time you're standing at a bus stop and its minus 10, or the next time you're working hard and its 40 degrees C!
Our November right now is like a British winter. Is it nice? No. I cycle most of the year and no problem with that. -40 degrees? Come on, the worst winter days have like -10C during the day, and it lasts for a couple of days.

And if you had enough of crap, Finland has been at times warmer than the UK from May to September many times the past 30 years.

Oh, you have worked in a 40C environment? I have worked in a 50C environment. For 13 hours straight.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:30 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
Quote:
Ah the old 'British weather is terrible' misconception, it won't matter what the reality is, what the facts are or even how often local people point out otherwise you will NEVER change this ole stereotype, just look at how many people on here from the other side of the world seem to think they know better than the English people themselves! Look at people from Finland telling us how 'crap' the British weather is when they themselves live in a freezer for half the year! Let's look at the truth of the matter shall we - British weather may not be the best in the world but its FAR from the worst! I cycle to work all year but if I wanted to take the car in the winter time I wouldn't have to dig it out of the snow first, British weather boring? Just think of that the next time you're standing at a bus stop and its minus 10, or the next time you're working hard and its 40 degrees C! Just think how 'bad' the British weather is if you live in a part of Africa where the rains keep failing and the people are starving to death, Or you are sheltering underground because a hurricane is ripping your house to bits! I know a Canadian woman who while in Canads lost her toes from frostbite because her bus late, she would still have them if she was waiting for a late bus in Bristol! Yeah the British weather really is 'the worst in the world' isn't it!

Could you please remind us when it was last 40°C?

That guy from Finland that you mentioned, will undoubtedly know more about our climate than you do.
You've intended to defend the climate of the UK, yet by posting nonsense, it's completely backfired lol!

Good effort though!

Old 11-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Could you please remind us when it was last 40°C?

That guy from Finland that you mentioned, will undoubtedly know more about our climate than you do.
You've intended to defend the climate of the UK, yet by posting nonsense, it's completely backfired lol!

Good effort though!
Oh really and why EXACTLY is it nonsense?

Old 11-06-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Your harping on about peoples misconceptions of the British Climate yet you're spouting out a misconception.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helsinki#Climate

Riddled with stool.

Average Jan and Feb HIGH below freezing yeah f*cking wonderful!

Old 11-06-2014, 01:37 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
Popcorn time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather