Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your experience with bith dry and humid heat, what do you prefer?
Humid 18 34.62%
Dry 34 65.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:07 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Miami and Phoenix are the two most brutal hot weather climates in the country. Pick your poison cause long term either will wear most people out to where they become prisoners to the AC..
i wouldnt call Miami brutal, its not even the worst summer climate in Florida, most of Florida in summer is hotter than Miami, Miami's hottest month is 89 F, while Orlando and other central florida and gulf coast cities are hotter. Miami gets alot of relief from sea breezes too. Also Phoenix isn't the hottest climate in the Arizona, places like Yuma and Lake Havasu are hotter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 05:47 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Think about your question this way. When you are warm, do you feel better in front of a fan or in a room with no circulation?
The fan does not lower the temperature nor the humidity, but it certainly feels cooler. There is an explanation as to why, but for the sake of discussion, common sense tells you a breeze is better than no breeze.
And a breeze in 115 is worse than no breeze in 115. Anyone experienced that? Cactus have follicles on them to protect from the hot wind.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
And a breeze in 115 is worse than no breeze in 115. Anyone experienced that? Cactus have follicles on them to protect from the hot wind.
Agree- above 100 F, breeze can make it feel even worse. In the 90s, wind still helps take the edge off. Wind is actually more effective in moderate humidity than in very low humidity. A good example would be the Santa Ana winds in Southern California in fall vs. the trade winds in Hawaii in summer.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Dry heat and humid heat both suck. That is why when the debate over which s more tolerable comes up, my standard response is that I would rather have a short summer than a long one regardeless of atmospheric moisture.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 AM

211 posts, read 294,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
That's not true, I live down here and 90F(which is nothing, it gets up to high 90's in the summer) feels like 100, 95 feels like 115, etc. It's brutal.
Miami isn't brutal by any means. People all over the east coast experience similar humidity and higher heat during summers during heatwave. It does not feel like 115 if you eexperience 115 you would agree. Especially in PhoenIx where the sun constantly shines. Realistically there are are very few tropical places that can be compared to the heat of a hot desert. South India is amongst one of them but I cant really think of much else

Old 11-06-2014, 07:30 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlyftafullest View Post
Miami isn't brutal by any means. People all over the east coast experience similar humidity and higher heat during summers during heatwave. It does not feel like 115 if you eexperience 115 you would agree. Especially in PhoenIx where the sun constantly shines. Realistically there are are very few tropical places that can be compared to the heat of a hot desert. South India is amongst one of them but I cant really think of much else
agree.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 AM

16,550 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Your statement was "places along the coast get less humid than places in the middle of the state because of the breeze", that is false.
You are correct as I did say that, but meant it felt cooler because of the breeze just as much of Hawaii has the trade winds which makes it more comfortable.

That said, I wonder if the coast line is less humid than areas that are not getting any breeze. However not being a climatologist or someone in a related field, I don't know.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:39 AM

16,550 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I have not, but it makes sense. That would be a strange sensation, getting breeze which normally would help to cool you off, but instead would be helping to bake you.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:57 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,449,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You are correct as I did say that, but meant it felt cooler because of the breeze just as much of Hawaii has the trade winds which makes it more comfortable.

That said, I wonder if the coast line is less humid than areas that are not getting any breeze. However not being a climatologist or someone in a related field, I don't know.
No it isn't. Taking MIA and MCO as the examples, Miami (in terms of relative humidity) is a little higher in the afternoon, Orlando is a little higher at night/in the morning. This is simply because usually Orlando is hotter than Miami in the day and cooler at night. There is practically no difference in summer dew points.

Orlando:

Relative Humidity

Dew Point Range

Miami:

Relative Humidity

Dew Point Range

Old 06-08-2015, 08:20 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,655,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Phoenix would feel hotter as the sun is blazing down constantly. Also in Miami you get relief from clouds and thunderstorms. No comparison really IMO.
This, i also feel that drier heat make the sun more intense, when back in Jogja (dry season)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather