Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 02:47 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times

Advertisements

Bangor Maine has never had a snowpack of 54". They are currently at 51" with lots of snow coming.

Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 AM

Default Top 20 snowfall totals

Top 20 Locations for Season Snowfall Total for all U.S Climo Sites through Feb 7th.
Boston made it into Top 20!

Maine with 4 locations in the Top 10 and 2 of them about to enter the 100"+ Snow Club.
Michigan with 3 in Top 10.

Burlington Vermont was in 14th spot last week, now moved up to 12th.
Worcester was in 11th spot last week, now moved into 8th

Syracuse below normal for the season!
Bangor with insane departure amount. Normal snowfall to date is 40 inches.. NOT 94! Holy smokes!

Old 02-08-2015, 08:48 PM

115 posts, read 213,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Snow totals this season so far.

1st thing you might say is, Wow, Philly with only 5" & Islip with 3 feet?!?!

Next thing you might say is, Wow, Boston with 54" and Detroit with only 37"?!?

Anything else you see?

These are from the official NWS Climo sites. Don't you wish more "official" records were kept for the "in betweens"???
How is it surprising that Boston has more snow than Detroit? Boston gets a bit more snow and has far larger year to year variation. Three feet to Islip on the other hand is pretty crazy, although that area like boston is also prone to some years with very heavy snow. It seems like Philly has been pretty unlucky (or lucky depending on how you look at it) with snow this season.

If you want my unofficial "in between" snow total, it's about 35 inches just north of New York City. I'd say this number is slightly conservative as I usually measure after the snow has already compacted/melted a bit.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8p123 View Post
How is it surprising that Boston has more snow than Detroit?
Detroit's normal snowfall to date is 26.6"
Boston's normal snowfall to date is 26.3"

So I thought seeing Boston with 54 would be shocking and considering it's only Feb 6th.

Quote:
If you want my unofficial "in between" snow total, it's about 35 inches just north of New York City. I'd say this number is slightly conservative as I usually measure after the snow has already compacted/melted a bit.
Cool, bit north meaning Poughkeepsie area? We've had our share of snow so far and most came within like 1-2 weeks time. Lets see if we can add to it tomorrow.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Detroit's normal snowfall to date is 26.6"
Boston's normal snowfall to date is 26.3"

So I thought seeing Boston with 54 would be shocking and considering it's only Feb 6th.

Cool, bit north meaning Poughkeepsie area? We've had our share of snow so far and most came within like 1-2 weeks time. Lets see if we can add to it tomorrow.
Yeah, I guess Boston typically sees more snow later in the season. The 54 inches is crazy, especially considering before january they were close to zero.

No, Southern Westchester. I live about 20 miles north of Manhattan, but outside of the urban heat island which I assume accounts for most of the difference. Today we had maybe half an inch of snow. It's been plenty cold to snow, but we have been just South of the precipitation.

My guess for Poughkeepsie would be it's at a similar amount as here because they weren't hit as hard by Juno (We got 12ish inches) but have gotten a couple more inches of snow from the other storms. In my experience, Poughkeepsie gets hit more consistently by snow, but down here we get hit harder by the big storms. That's only anecdotal though, good snow data for my area is not to be found. Two weather stations maybe 10 miles away from each other differ 25 inches per year in snow. Something about that doesn't add up...

Old 02-09-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess Boston typically sees more snow later in the season. The 54 inches is crazy, especially considering before january they were close to zero.
Exactly, that's whats making this insane that it's been falling just in the past couple weeks. So it's not like 4+ feet fell since November. Crazy!

Boston is having its 6th snowiest season on record and its only Feb 9th. That's not including the snow that's been falling for 2 days straight now.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Exactly, that's whats making this insane that it's been falling just in the past couple weeks. So it's not like 4+ feet fell since November. Crazy!

Boston is having its 6th snowiest season on record and its only Feb 9th. That's not including the snow that's been falling for 2 days straight now.
It seems unreal to have something like this happen.

Where do you live in Connecticut? Close to coast means a very different thing weatherwise if you live in Groton than if you live in Stamford.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,160,979 times
Quote:
It seems unreal to have something like this happen.

Where do you live in Connecticut? Close to coast means a very different thing weatherwise if you live in Groton than if you live in Stamford.
As I recall, west of Bridgeport, west enough to be consistently looking up GFS output for Danbury

Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 PM

BDR currently has their 7th longest streak of 10"+ snowpack. Whats Amazing is that out of the last 67 yrs on record, 5 of the Top 10 were in the last 5 yrs

Whats sad is that 10th most is only 6 days with 10"+. lol

Old 02-09-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
BDR currently has their 7th longest streak of 10"+ snowpack. Whats Amazing is that out of the last 67 yrs on record, 5 of the Top 10 were in the last 5 yrs

Whats sad is that 10th most is only 6 days with 10"+. lol
I feel like those have to be wrong. They sound WAY low.

Unless there is some massive difference between where I live and Bridgeport, which i doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather