Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a climate more like Atlanta?
Miami 48 80.00%
Montreal 12 20.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:49 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Atlanta winters are comparable to winters in Eugene, Oregon - a city that is nearly 10 degrees further north!
Atlanta winters are also not too far away from winters in London which is 17.5 degrees further north.. we have milder minimum temperatures in winter but lower max temperatures. the benefits of being on the western side of a continent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 08:43 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Closer to Miami because the summers are almost identical and the even the winter temperature overnight lows average above freezing. I do admit Atlanta has a lot more variation in winter than tropical Miami. Still, the main factor is that Atlanta gets only 1-3 snow events each winter that melts the next day and can reach 80 degrees in winter even 3 or 4 days after a snow or ice storm. Montreal has 5 months of constant snow cover and stays below freezing all winter long.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Closer to Miami because the summers are almost identical and the even the winter temperature overnight lows average above freezing. I do admit Atlanta has a lot more variation in winter than tropical Miami. Still, the main factor is that Atlanta gets only 1-3 snow events each winter that melts the next day and can reach 80 degrees in winter even 3 or 4 days after a snow or ice storm. Montreal has 5 months of constant snow cover and stays below freezing all winter long.
Right. I don't even like snow but even I know that 7 inches is WEAK. I guess to a Floridian, anything above the Florida state line is polar.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Atlanta winters are also not too far away from winters in London which is 17.5 degrees further north.. we have milder minimum temperatures in winter but lower max temperatures. the benefits of being on the western side of a continent.
Not sure how using London or Oregon helps to make OP's main point. Two places known for having mild winters.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:46 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Not sure how using London or Oregon helps to make OP's main point. Two places known for having mild winters.
I was just pointing out that he used Oregon as an example of somewhere 10 degrees further north with similar winters, when there are places up to 18 degrees further north with similar winters.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I was just pointing out that he used Oregon as an example of somewhere 10 degrees further north with similar winters, when there are places up to 18 degrees further north with similar winters.
Oh I know. Guess he doesn't realize how latitude doesn't necessarily increase harshness of winters.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:42 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
A cold winter day with snowfall in Atlanta will feel more like Montreal. Atlanta occasionally experiences brutal winter weather that is more comparable to Montreal than Miami, but on the whole I would say Atlanta's climate is more similar to Miami due to the long, hot, and humid summers.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:22 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Miami, I'd say. Winters are just not wintry enough in Atlanta to be able to compare it more to Montreal, occasional winter storms notwithstanding. And summers there are also more similar to Miami's than to Montreal's.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:16 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
Miami by far, Asking which city is more similar, Montreal would probably be a closer cousin climatically to Minneapolis than to Atlanta or Chicago, although I have heard that Chicago isn't that different than Minneapolis other than their winters being shorter in duration and warmer with the warming of Lake Michigan have some influence on their climate.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,165 times
Montreal

Unlike Miami, both cities most trees lose their leaves in winter
and Atlanta does get some very cool days where the even the high does not go about freezing.
In Miami I can walk around in T-shirt and shorts in winter,
not so in both Atlanta and Montreal....I'm wearing a jacket in winter,
except for occasional way above normal winter day in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather