Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a climate more like Atlanta?
Miami 48 80.00%
Montreal 12 20.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 04:10 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Montreal

Unlike Miami, both cities most trees lose their leaves in winter
and Atlanta does get some very cool days where the even the high does not go about freezing.
In Miami I can walk around in T-shirt and shorts in winter,
not so in both Atlanta and Montreal....I'm wearing a jacket in winter,
except for occasional way above normal winter day in Atlanta.
I agree with you. Miami is a tropical climate, while Atlanta is a warm temperate climate and Montreal a cold one. Atlanta is more like Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 06:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,048,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I agree with you. Miami is a tropical climate, while Atlanta is a warm temperate climate and Montreal a cold one. Atlanta is more like Montreal.
Miami is tropical monsoon
ATL is humid subtropical
Montreal is humid continental

Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
It's a tough call, temperatures year-round are more in line with Miami despite much colder winters, however it shares the continentality of Montreal but then lacks the consistently cold winters.

My vote is that Atlanta's climate is closer to Miami on the basis that temperatures stay nearer to that experienced in South Florida throughout the year when you compare it to Montreal, but there is definitely a case for the opposite view in terms of the "style" of climate.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:07 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,172,756 times
Another way to look at is is this: Does Atlanta get more Miami-like days (highs in the 70s) or Montreal like-days (Highs in the 20s and snow) in its winter months? We know the summers are pretty much the same so if the warm winter days exceed the snow days, Atlanta is a hands down winner.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:59 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,969,896 times
Atlanta is closer to Miami.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:24 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,358 times
Atlanta for sure. Though, Atlanta and Miami summers aren't exactly the same. Atlanta lows are cooler and cold front pass through from time to time even if its not a big drop. Of course that doesn't compare to the winter difference between Montreal and Atlanta and even summers between those two are pretty wide.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:46 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Montreal

Unlike Miami, both cities most trees lose their leaves in winter
and Atlanta does get some very cool days where the even the high does not go about freezing.
In Miami I can walk around in T-shirt and shorts in winter,
not so in both Atlanta and Montreal....I'm wearing a jacket in winter,
except for occasional way above normal winter day in Atlanta.
That's quite true, too. That's why I find this an interesting question. Atlanta's winters are much more wintry than Miami's. Atlanta is orders of magnitude more likely than Miami to experience real winter weather. Miami experienced just flurries once in recorded history. Atlanta is capable of much more. But if you just look at the numbers, it would be easy to compare Atlanta's winters to Miami's than to Montreal's.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:19 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeimglowinginthedark View Post
BTW, aren't Southern US winters really variable?
Yes, but such variation is seen in every single subtropical environment on Earth during the cool season, to atleast some extent. When will you people learn that winter time variation is not unique to the US South?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Winters all over the eastern US are variable. It just gets less as you go down into the FL penisula due to all the surrounding water.
The only place in the US that truly is variable is the Great Plains region, given the inland location, altitude, and the geographic location that allows for different climate patterns to come around. The rest of the Eastern US, especially in a natural climactic state without any disturbances, does not vary all that much in relation to the rest of the world during winter. The entire Gulf and South Atlantic Coast receive a reasonable amount of ocean moderation, not just Florida; they are just as ocean moderated as other subtropical regions in the Northern Hemisphere, and even some of the Southern Hemisphere.

There are lots of elements that would be present in Eastern North America if it really was the region with the most variation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Atlanta winters are comparable to winters in Eugene, Oregon - a city that is nearly 10 degrees further north!
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Atlanta winters are also not too far away from winters in London which is 17.5 degrees further north.. we have milder minimum temperatures in winter but lower max temperatures. the benefits of being on the western side of a continent.
Atlanta is high up in the mountains, and far inland, while Eugene, and London are lower in elevation, and closer to the ocean, allowing them to get more moderation in their climate. You amateur climatologists just never seem to take these things into consideration.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:55 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yes, but such variation is seen in every single subtropical environment on Earth during the cool season, to atleast some extent. When will you people learn that winter time variation is not unique to the US South?

The only place in the US that truly is variable is the Great Plains region, given the inland location, altitude, and the geographic location that allows for different climate patterns to come around. The rest of the Eastern US, especially in a natural climactic state without any disturbances, does not vary all that much in relation to the rest of the world during winter. The entire Gulf and South Atlantic Coast receive a reasonable amount of ocean moderation, not just Florida; they are just as ocean moderated as other subtropical regions in the Northern Hemisphere, and even some of the Southern Hemisphere.

There are lots of elements that would be present in Eastern North America if it really was the region with the most variation.

Atlanta is high up in the mountains, and far inland, while Eugene, and London are lower in elevation, and closer to the ocean, allowing them to get more moderation in their climate. You amateur climatologists just never seem to take these things into consideration.

Why don't you tell us just what this latest cold air invasion is going to do to your beloved South. I'll tell you. Widespread freezes and temps in the 20'sF while Europe basks in warmth. The temps in Mobile, AL will be colder than Warsaw, Poland lol. Give it up, North America is one giant climate fail. The huge standard deviation here makes it impossible to grow decent subtropical vegetation, and makes winters miserable for any warm lover in the entire southern US save the bottom of Florida.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,404,486 times
Thinking about this more and I think Atlanta is more similar to Montreal. Temperature wise it is closer to Miami, but then the winters in Atlanta would feel cold to me, whereas in Miami I'd be in shorts almost every day in winter.

I guess it comes down to the feel of things - Moscow is closer to Miami temperature wise than Vostok, but the colder winter in Moscow would make it feel more similar to Vostok than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather