Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,466,263 times

Advertisements

Maritime climates have not been very popular with the most of the regulars on this forum. Most maritime climates are neither cold enough for cold/snow lovers, not warm enough for heat lovers. The lack of sunshine doesn't help either. I'm kind of curious, though, what would be some of the best examples of climates in this category (obviously answers will differ based on personal preferences).

Defining a maritime climate could be problematic. For the purposes of this thread, lets say that the average temperature of warmest month cannot exceed 72F (22C) while the coldest month cannot be below 32F (0C). Some coastal Mediterranean climates like Santa Barbara fall under this definition. I don't have a good way to exclude them. Perhaps we could limit this discussion only to places that average at least .5 inches of precipitation in every month of the year. But this is open to discussion.

Another subset is the tropical highland variety (like Quito, Ecuador). I suppose this type of climate would have to be included although I was primarily thinking of temperate maritime locations.

I'm guessing the cold lovers will go for Reykjavik or something similar. I'm more curious about what the warm weather loves will go for. If I had to guess it would be somewhere in Australia (Sydney fall just short I think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,560,493 times
Muroran, Hokkaid would be my pick for best Cfb.

Muroran falls below the 0C isotherm though...so it is borderline Dfb/Cfb.

Here's an interesting one in a place you wouldn't expect to find a Cfb climate:
Constanza, Dominican Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of Europe's Cfb climates aren't good at all...I haven't found any that I like. Munich isn't bad at all though Munich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (0C again ). Munich's not bad at all especially considering most of Germany isn't great.

Reykjavik is a Cfc by the way.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
Interesting thread... if we're just going on temperature only, then the best maritime climate for me would be somewhere like Santa Barbara.. I would choose it over Sydney marginally as I prefer the drier climate of Santa Barbara.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:22 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,560,493 times
As for the best Cwb climate my favorites are:

1. Merida, Venezuela
2. Kunming, China
3. Antananarivo, Madagascar
4. Shillong, India
5. Murree, Pakistan (most seasonal Cwb I've found so far)

Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
A climate in East Anglia where it can snow and get cold in winter with, on average, over 14 days of thunder a year.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:36 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,070,523 times
It's true that most heat lovers will go for the borderline humid subtropical climates and cold lovers the borderline oceanic subpolar climates with both groups feeling rather unsatisfied. Naturally, the continental climate loving minority (one or maybe two posters here?) hate oceanic climates for their narrow seasonal range.

However, for those, such as myself, who love mild warmth (or mild coolness, though this preference doesn't seem to have any representation on this forum) temperate oceanic climates are a godsend.

Some of my favourites:

Wollongong Climate Guide, New South Wales, Australia | World Climate Guide

Port Elizabeth Climate Guide, South Africa | World Climate Guide

Harare Climate Guide, Zimbabwe | World Climate Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Nice find! I think I may have a new favourite climate.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Considering I am a cold lover in winter and a warm lover in summer, I'll pick the one with the most variation. Somewhere like Munich or Hamburg, if you consider them oceanic. Subpolar places like Lerwick or Bergen are not places I'd really enjoy most of the time.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:03 AM

914 posts, read 2,104,513 times
Is Gambell considered an oceanic climate? It's situated on the coast of St. Lawrence Island, in the Bering Sea. I am a huge fan of its climate.
GAMBELL, ALASKA - Climate Summary

Old 04-08-2012, 02:45 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,028 times
It's kind of hard to say where Cfb subtropical highland ends and Cfb mid-latitude temperate begins. With example likes Quito versus Amsterdam, it's pretty clear, but there are a lot of grey areas like highland southern Brazil, south China, or eastern Australia where it's kind of vague, as their temperate nature is due to altitude but they have clear seasonal temperature variations all the same.

Picking a spot at or near sea level, I'd choose Port Elizabeth, South Africa:

Port Elizabeth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, it's a very good climate, not just for an oceanic climate, but in general. I give it an A-

Old 04-08-2012, 02:59 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,796,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Muroran, Hokkaid would be my pick for best Cfb.

Muroran falls below the 0C isotherm though...so it is borderline Dfb/Cfb.

Two really great climates, new to me!

I love Hokkaido's weather pattens, not in the sense of I like the climate ( I don't ), but in the sense that they're very diverse in terms of precipitation, temperature, and especially, sunshine hours, within very small distances, and have some patterns I've seen no-where else ( like Muroran's double-barreled sunny seasons ).

I like Constanza's climate, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather