Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the climates of Seattle/Portland, OR more like London or L.A.
Seattle/Portland, OR are more like London climate-wise 63 90.00%
Seattle/Portland, OR are more like L.A. climate-wise. 7 10.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,012 times

Advertisements

London.

I have lived in ALL these places - husband is an EEU citizen who gets moved around at work . I will say that at least during the years I lived there that Portland rained THE most of all . Yes there were some nice really beautiful days but mainly it was a 2 year monsoon. I've seen far more shockingly bright days here in Seattle. It is a gorgeous bright white sun (to my eyes anyway - I grew up in Texas) and still cool while it is bright . ( again though I grew up in a blast furnace so who am I to say whats hot ). Love London, Seattle and LA . I can do without Portland .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 10:33 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,885 times
During the summer, it almost never rains in Portland and gets on average about 30 more hours of sunshine per month than Seattle. To answer the OP, the climates of seattle and portland are more like London than LA.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:04 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,406,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Cloudy compared to what?

London percentage possible sunshine:
July:45%
August: 48%

Portland percentage possible sunshine:
July: 70%
August: 68%

Maybe you meant cloudy compared to a really sunny place like Denver...but nope, pretty similar -- even though Seattle is on the ocean and Denver is semi-arid:

Denver percentage possible sunshine
July:71%
August: 72%

Or maybe you meant compared to other large US cities in the northern/mid tier:

NYC percentage possible sunshine
July: 59%
August: 63%
Don't forget that the methods of calculating sunshine hours are different in the UK to the US, so summers in the UK are above 50% sunshine by US methods, although the other places are still quite a bit sunnier.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:48 PM

855 posts, read 771,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Don't forget that the methods of calculating sunshine hours are different in the UK to the US, so summers in the UK are above 50% sunshine by US methods, although the other places are still quite a bit sunnier.
Even if you increased the UK's sunshine percentage by 10% it would be substantially lower than Seattle (especially since London is quite a bit further north and has longer summer days, so the actual number of hours of sunshine is way way less). And when comparing Seattle and NYC the same methods are being used.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Cloudy compared to what?

London percentage possible sunshine:
July:45%
August: 48%

Portland percentage possible sunshine:
July: 70%
August: 68%

Maybe you meant cloudy compared to a really sunny place like Denver...but nope, pretty similar -- even though Seattle is on the ocean and Denver is semi-arid:

Denver percentage possible sunshine
July:71%
August: 72%

Or maybe you meant compared to other large US cities in the northern/mid tier:

NYC percentage possible sunshine
July: 59%
August: 63%
I think sunshine stats are really variable. In the UK it seems like their measure of a sunny day is a lot more stringent than what the US considers a sunny day. I've read stats saying Portland only gets 45% of potential sunshine during the summer.

The confusion comes, I think from partly cloudy days and how they are counted.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I think sunshine stats are really variable. In the UK it seems like their measure of a sunny day is a lot more stringent than what the US considers a sunny day. I've read stats saying Portland only gets 45% of potential sunshine during the summer.

All US locations are counted the same. So if Portland only gets 45% of possible sunshine during the summer, what does Manhattan get? 20%?

Old 11-11-2014, 08:49 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
All US locations are counted the same. So if Portland only gets 45% of possible sunshine during the summer, what does Manhattan get? 20%?
Using the most recent data (1998-2012) for Vancouver, Washington a suburb of Portland it's clear or mostly clear 70% of the time in the summer. This would I suppose be typical of Portland's climate in the 2000s.

For New York City the closest and most recent I could find is Teterboro, New Jersey (1981-2012) and it was clear or mostly clear about 43% of the time during the summer there. This would be typical of the 1990s.

So yes I stand corrected Portland is considerably sunnier in the summer time than New York and it seems like it's becoming sunnier due to climate change. Its summer sunshine is actually similar to somewhere like Omaha, Nebraska these days.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Using the most recent data (1998-2012) for Vancouver, Washington a suburb of Portland it's clear or mostly clear 70% of the time in the summer. This would I suppose be typical of Portland's climate in the 2000s.

For New York City the closest and most recent I could find is Teterboro, New Jersey (1981-2012) and it was clear or mostly clear about 43% of the time during the summer there. This would be typical of the 1990s.

So yes I stand corrected Portland is considerably sunnier in the summer time than New York and it seems like it's becoming sunnier due to climate change. Its summer sunshine is actually similar to somewhere like Omaha, Nebraska these days.
Yes which is very unusual for an oceanic climate. Which is why, combined with the summer drought, I think rainshadow zones of the PNW have to considered hybrid oceanic/med. climates. (Still more like London than LA of course - I keep forgetting which thread we're in.)

Old 11-11-2014, 05:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:

From what I can tell, Pacific Northwest tends to go from clear to cloudy with less partly cloudy than most places. So the type of instrument shouldn't make as much difference.

Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vancouver records 59% sunshine in July, 62% in August using the same instrument as the UK. Portland is definitely sunnier than Vancouver, especially in the summer.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
From what I can tell, Pacific Northwest tends to go from clear to cloudy with less partly cloudy than most places. So the type of instrument shouldn't make as much difference.

Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vancouver records 59% sunshine in July, 62% in August using the same instrument as the UK. Portland is definitely sunnier than Vancouver, especially in the summer.
Yes, I can back this up. The really remarkable difference is between Vancouver and Victoria, which gets 68% in July and 67% in August. Vancouver is squeezed up against the North Shore mountains, and the clouds tend to build up against the ridges and hang around. In Victoria clouds just pass over. In the summer, skies are often very clear over Victoria and the Gulf Islands. When I moved to the eastern United States I was blown away by how cloudy the summer seemed. Even when it's sunny, there are *always* clouds moving through, especially when it's hot and humid. Very different from the PNW which is crystal clear blue skies during the summer (or at least that's how I remember it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather