Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to get half an inch of rain rain in drizzle or downpours
Non stop drizzle for 24 hours 13 17.33%
20 minute torrential downpour 62 82.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:37 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times

Advertisements

B

Part of the reason I could never enjoy Portland. Days and days of constant drizzle. Sure it's beautiful up there but how can you enjoy it if it drizzles all the time.

Yes, the PNW gets less rainfall than other areas but it's not the volume, just the constant drizzle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:55 PM

240 posts, read 239,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Would you prefer to get half an inch of rain as?:

A) cloudy and overcast with non-stop drizzle for 24 hours.

or

B) A 20 minute torrential downpour followed by clearing skies an hour later

Just to make things fair assume the temperature is around 60 during the day and 50 at night during both of those scenarios.
C) a full day of cool greyness with wicked torrential sheets and buckets of water

Old 11-06-2014, 01:03 PM

340 posts, read 645,645 times
Drizzle. A quck downpour followed by sun just means erosion and more of it gets evaporated before plants' roots can absorb it. PLUS, unless you constantly check weather radar, you won't know when the downpour will happen. It could be while you're sitting at home, or it could be when you're in that white-knuckle construction zone on the interstate.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:07 PM

91 posts, read 115,614 times
I love downpours, they make me feel warm inside. Much more enjoyable than annoying drizzles.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:21 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
An ebullient downpour with high humidity and 25°C or hotter, and explosive close cloud to ground lightning & thunder.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:13 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
We have drizzle all day today it's the most annoying thing. I Rather have 10 inches fall in an hour and watch nature make its own rivers on and around our paved roads..
same here although it looks like we are in different parts of U.S. Its been all drizzle and gloomy here today

Old 11-06-2014, 02:45 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
I like both. A good storm sweeping in brings lots of energy and cleans the air. I lov e to listen to the rain and thunder and the scent of the breeze. However where I live this can also bring flash floods which wash out roads and from time to time kill a few people who get caught upprepared. And most of the water jsut ends up in the ditches and rivers runing of ratehrt han soaking in and providing wate for plants.

A long steady drizle can make for a cozy day with a book and some hot tea. It has a more earthy smell and to me brings comfort and relaxation. And the added bonus that the long slow soaking gets water dee into the gound so that trees and crops are well watered. So because it has more overall environmental benefits I chose the drizle over the storm.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:56 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
B. Downpour, for sure. Rain like you MEAN it. If it's so dry--fine, bring it on, stop poking like a farmer clogging up the roads going 20 mph below the speed limit while looking at their crops. Do it quickly and get the heck out of here. There's no need to take all day pitter-pattering around, do your business and get off the dance floor already.

"That causes run-off." TOUGH. So be it. Darned if I care to have the entire freaking day ruined by it raining so freaking SLOWLY the ENTIRE freaking day. The soil and such can learn how to deal with the sudden onslaught or just do without, oh well. That's my feeling on the matter anyway. (Yes I realize soil doesn't have the capacity to think or adjust etc.)

One exception I'll allow--if it's raining at night. Then, take your time, rain slowly. During the day, though--do your business quickly, then get the heck out of here. Period.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:57 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
I don't mind drizzle since it doesn't interfere with too much. I can do just about anything outside in drizzly weather, but not really in heavy rain and thunderstorms.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:10 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
steady drizzle all day = cozy times, with a good book or classic movies on TCM, fire going and ordering in some Chinese food!!

then I start feeling sorry for all the homeless animals outdoors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather