Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which fictional climate do you prefer?
Sakura no Giri 2 20.00%
Naraku no Hana 2 20.00%
Kempeitan 3 30.00%
Divergence 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 03:03 PM

524 posts, read 485,518 times

Advertisements

This will be the first climate battle in a 4-part series. Each battle features 1 fictional climate inspired by each of the 4 anime series I used for inspiration. Feel free to rate, and vote for the climate you would most enjoy/least hate living in!

I used to make a ton of fictional climates when I was a teenager, but grew out of it during college. In 2014-2015 I watched 4 anime series my college friends recommended, and was inspired to make 4 sets of 4 fictional climates based on each anime. Thought I'd share them with this forum now.

Anime #1 is a sci-fi anime set in Tokyo during summer 2010, Anime #2 is a murder mystery anime set in 1980s rural Japan, Anime #3 is set in a post-apocalyptic fictional universe, and Anime #4 is based on a slice-of-life visual novel that I have no interest in playing and will not describe further. I'll let the Japanese pop culture enthusiasts guess what they are. [NOTE: Climate #1 doesn't necessarily correspond to Anime #1, Climate #2 doesn't necessarily correspond to Anime #2, etc.]

Hell Climate #1: Sakura no Giri

Low-latitude end of a hypercontinental, longitudinal, low-altitude plain on the poleward side of an abrupt, steep mountain range. The idea was to make a climate that has 8 months of average temperatures above 10 C, while still having a coldest month below -3 C. Natural vegetation is a mosaic of semi-arid scrub and lush deciduous subtropical forest.

Hell Climate #2: Naraku no Hana

Same idea as Sakura no Giri, but with a more intense monsoon and farther from an inland arid subtropical plateau. The idea was to make a climate that has 9 months of average temperatures above 10 C, while still having a coldest month below -3 C. Natural vegetation is some sort of evergreen subtropical forest with simultaneously heat-loving and freeze-hardy species.

Hell Climate #3: Kempeitan

Semiarid montane plateau surrounded by a towering mountain range, with a Mediterranean-like precipitation pattern. Out of the 4 climates I put in this series, I think this one is the closest to a RL climate somewhere on Earth. Natural vegetation consists of dry conifers + deciduous trees in riparian areas, with sparse sage scrub elsewhere.

Hell Climate #4: Divergence

Elevated subtropical-west coast intermontane plain, surrounded by high mountains on all sides. (Average relative humidity readings are unrealistically high considering the diurnal temperature range and sunshine levels, they should be half of what's shown here). Natural vegetation would be mostly barren ground, with pocket of xeric steppe and parkland in favorable microclimates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 03:19 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Higurashi? I watched like half of that. Still need to finish it. That **** was creepy af.

I guess I'll pick number 3.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Higurashi? I watched like half of that. Still need to finish it. That **** was creepy af.
Yup, Naraku no Hana is the name of the Higurashi season 2 opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMiIn44qciU

This trance remix is what inspired me to make that hellish monsoon climate

I only saw seasons 1 and 2. Season 1 laid out all the questions, and season 2 answered them. Seasons 3 and 4 didn't seem appealing enough to keep watching.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:00 PM

For the post apocalyptic one, my guess would be Trigun, Ergo Proxy, Gurren Lagann, or Punk Desert. Seen the first two but not the last two (heard they sucked). Not particularly confident about those guesses. Your names don't sound familiar.

Also I think I want to change my vote to climate #1. Might as well go with more interesting weather if we're doing completely absurd climates.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche_da_mike24 View Post

Hell Climate #1: Sakura no Giri

Low-latitude end of a hypercontinental, longitudinal, low-altitude plain on the poleward side of an abrupt, steep mountain range. The idea was to make a climate that has 8 months of average temperatures above 10 C, while still having a coldest month below -3 C. Natural vegetation is a mosaic of semi-arid scrub and lush deciduous subtropical forest.
https://i.imgur.com/mEyaeeo.png

Hell Climate #2: Naraku no Hana

Same idea as Sakura no Giri, but with a more intense monsoon and farther from an inland arid subtropical plateau. The idea was to make a climate that has 9 months of average temperatures above 10 C, while still having a coldest month below -3 C. Natural vegetation is some sort of evergreen subtropical forest with simultaneously heat-loving and freeze-hardy species.
https://i.imgur.com/aj5fLdu.png

Hell Climate #3: Kempeitan

Semiarid montane plateau surrounded by a towering mountain range, with a Mediterranean-like precipitation pattern. Out of the 4 climates I put in this series, I think this one is the closest to a RL climate somewhere on Earth. Natural vegetation consists of dry conifers + deciduous trees in riparian areas, with sparse sage scrub elsewhere.
https://i.imgur.com/vGl5itA.png

Hell Climate #4: Divergence

Elevated subtropical-west coast intermontane plain, surrounded by high mountains on all sides. (Average relative humidity readings are unrealistically high considering the diurnal temperature range and sunshine levels, they should be half of what's shown here). Natural vegetation would be mostly barren ground, with pocket of xeric steppe and parkland in favorable microclimates.
https://i.imgur.com/Yysk6X4.png
Sakura no Giri (#1) Classification-
Köppen: Dwa/Cwa, Trewartha: Dca/Cw, Psyche_da_mike24: Dwa/Cwa

Naraku no Hana (#2) Classification-
Köppen: Dwa/Cwa, Trewartha: Dca/Cw, Psyche_da_mike24: Dwa/Cwa

Kempeitan (#3) Classification-
Köppen: BSk, Trewartha: BS/Dca, Psyche_da_mike24: Csa/CZ.a

Divergence (#4) Classification-
Köppen: BWk, Trewartha: BW, Psyche_da_mike24: CR.a

Old 08-11-2020, 11:55 AM

Oh the sci-fi one is probably Steins;Gate.

For the post apocalyptic one, I'll guess Shinsekai Yori (From the New World).

Those are basically the best anime in those categories.

But I don't see how that's related to the climates lol.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:35 PM

Interesting to see who voted for which climates. I wasn't expecting there to be a 4-way tie.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:05 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,984 times
Kempeitan for having the most tolerable summers out of any of the non-deserts.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:13 AM

Kempeitan is halfway to a desert. It's loosely based on the Great Basin area and the mountainous part of West/Central Asia between northern Iraq and Kyrgyzstan-ish.

Divergence is kind of a fusion of the Atacama Desert in South America, the neighboring altiplano, and California's seasonal temperature range.

Sakura no Giri are both hypercontinental mashups of the Indian subcontinent, the central/southern Great Plains, and Inner Asia- but in different ways.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:02 AM

679 posts, read 359,126 times
All of them are F climates, because of extreme heat. Let's choose the least bad.
Sakura No Giri has 5 great monthes (Nov - Mar), 2 good monthes (Oct, Apr), 1 bad month (Sep) and 4 horrible monthes (May - Aug). Acceptability is 5*4+2*3+1*1+4*0=20+6+1+0=27.
Naraku No Hana has 4 great monthes (Nov - Feb), 1 good month (Mar), 1 acceptable month (Oct), 1 bad month (Apr) and 5 horrible monthes (May - Sep). Acceptability is 4*4+1*3+1*2+1*1+5*0=16+3+2+1+0=22.
Kempeitan has 5 good monthes (Nov - Mar), 3 acceptable monthes (Apr, May, Oct), 1 bad month (Sep) and 3 horrible monthes (Jun -Aug). Acceptability is 0*4+5*3+3*2+1*1+3*0=0+15+6+1+0=22.
Divergence has 1 good month (Mar), 6 acceptable monthes (Oct - Feb, Apr), 3 bad monthes (Sep, May, Jun) and 2 horrible monthes (Jul, Aug). Acceptability is 0*4+1*3+6*2+3*1+2*0=18.
Overall, Sakura No Giri is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather