Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:07 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
LOL, not possible here, as our houses and flats are so insulated that it's almost always hotter inside. My flat was hovering at 27-28C from July to late August. And Finland and AC? Only malls are AC's.

Our outside highest lows were 20.9C, 20.1C, 20.0C, 19.8C and 19.7C this summer, and it didn't help to cool down much... I like summer heat, but our insulation is a bit too good during a warm summer.

Look at these lows in the southern tip of Finland in July-August:
Synop report summary

17 nights above 20C, 9 in a row.
Pretty impressive considering the latitude... Yea all the homes here are to insulated to and most people don't have AC's (Malls, Cinemas, Ice skating areas, restaurants, and many pubs do - so there are places to cool down if to hot...), though when temps are in the high 20s and 30s we are advised to close all the windows and curtains in the house during the day, and open them at night, keep the fans on, if fans are blowing out hot air then put ice in front of it... That's what they've recommended on the news and I do that anyway if I need a cool down - its all very effective... But 30 degrees is gardening weather!
The only thing I hate about +30C in the UK, is the overreaction from the media... Though much of it is sarcastic and funnyish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HakFsxdyYiU

(also embarrassing - that Irish woman at 0.48 really annoys me - we seriously don't need heat health alerts in this country if temps are just in the High 20 low 30s - which is a fairly normal thing in a British summer!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sacfh_mfGZ8

My dad said that all the news we get on hot weather during a "Heatwave" is ridiculous! A sunny 30 degree day was never a big deal prior to 2003... It was just a nice summers day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 07:40 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times
In Argentina the NWS has a system in which all areas work the same way.

In case of heatwaves, it's defined as a period of at least 3 consecutive days in which both daily lows and daily highs are above the 90th percentile out of all the daily records of the 'warm season' (October to March) from 1961-2010.

In case of cold snaps, it's exactly the opposite. At least 3 consecutive days in which both daily lows and daily highs are below the 10th percentile out of all the daily records of the 'cold season' (April to September) from 1961-2010.

For instance, there is a heat wave in Buenos Aires when the Central Observatory (that has a huge UHI) records at least three consecutive days in which both the low is 22.0ºC or above and the high is 32.2ºC or above. On the other hand, there is a cold snap when in at least three consecutive days both the low is 3.8ºC or below and the high is 12.6ºC or below.

Areas of the country where summer averages are below 20ºC don't qualify for heatwaves, whereas areas where winter averages are above 15ºC don't qualify for cold snaps.

For me, the system is a bit flawed for certain cases, as it's not rare that one of the values fail to reach reach the threshold and prevents a very hot/cold period from being considered a heat wave/cold snap, and on the other hand, more moderate events do meet the criteria. However, there is an intermediate concept for the first case, which is 'extended period of high/low temperatures', which would work as a lower degree of warning. It occurs when only the daily high (for hot weather) or daily low (for cold snaps) meet the criteria.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Luckily our state broadcasting company doesn't do those sensationalist reports, but one notorious example of the tabloids was in 2011 when the early June heat was coined as the "sex-heatwave", because some few people started shagging in parks during that.

I've told this sometimes before, but I was at the cathedral park with my ex-gf that June (we weren't shagging), it was 31C, and an English guy came to ask for a light. He asked "is it always like this in summer, this is amazing!", and I said "well, dream on, it will pass soon". Four days later the high was 17C.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:03 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
In Malta a high of 35C is used to issue a heat alert & in winter a high of 13C is considered a cold snap

Old 11-23-2014, 08:09 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,746,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
The heatwave criterion is three days above 30/24°C (hi/lo) in my department (sorta county). Thresholds vary from a department to another. In the neighboring departments, it's 35/23°C and 35/19°C.
Hello Rozenn
It´s incredible than in most part of France, meteorologist make quite high temperature tresholds (compared to averages of these locations) to defined a Heat wave while in NYC for example (which has similar average of Southern East French cities) a Heat wave is defined by only 32.2 °C !
Or maybe the Heat wave is not defined by the temperature but by the heat index ?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:22 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Is a heatwave defined as 30C in Brittany? They shouldn't get much of those. Didn't find any news with the search "canicule bretagne".

Old 11-23-2014, 08:43 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
I would say for here, a heat wave would be multiple days above 97F (36.1C) and a cold snap would have highs below 50F (10C).

Old 11-23-2014, 08:44 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,804,442 times
heatwave: 17C to 20C
coldwave: -8C to -12C

Old 11-23-2014, 09:30 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,291,749 times
I don't know about here, really, but my guess would be 35c for heatwave... and for coldwave, max below 0c ??

Old 11-23-2014, 10:34 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Luckily our state broadcasting company doesn't do those sensationalist reports, but one notorious example of the tabloids was in 2011 when the early June heat was coined as the "sex-heatwave", because some few people started shagging in parks during that.

I've told this sometimes before, but I was at the cathedral park with my ex-gf that June (we weren't shagging), it was 31C, and an English guy came to ask for a light. He asked "is it always like this in summer, this is amazing!", and I said "well, dream on, it will pass soon". Four days later the high was 17C.
Haha... Kinky!

17 degrees is a massive difference to 31! Luckily this part of the UK rarely sees highs in July and August below 20...

But yer, the news shouldn't report hot weather in the UK unless there something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xplD7mvgTy8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk3EiM93xZ8

It should be at least 35C in summer before the news starts annoying people! Sun creme, shutting windows and curtains, and putting on fans is just common sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather