Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaheatfan View Post
I think it's odd that a lot of posters think that some cold nights during the fall and winter months automatically disqualifies a place from subtropical classification.
I'm not sure who's trying to disqualify the US South from being subtropical. (Disqualify Washington DC and New York City? Yes, but those are different threads).

What we're trying to do is refute are claims like the following:

Quote:
Those single digit cold snaps in the South only occurred due to the Cold Epoch being at peak strength.
Quote:
Cold snaps in the South are no more severe than what is seen in other subtropical climates.
Quote:
Only the far inland parts of the South exhibit the conditions you describe.
I personally am also trying to figure out how certain posters dismiss the obvious winter lows as being irrelevant and attribute them to some ephemeral "cold epoch" without providing a shred of evidence that such a things ever actually existed.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
While I agree that most of the South has far too cold records and cold snaps in comparison to their averages, I also think most of the South has a far superior climate to any oceanic climate because the cold snaps ARE short-lived. A lot easier to take a few bone chilling windy subfreezing days when you know next week is going to be sunny and in the 70s. Much better than pesky, damp, and chilly overcast 40s for months on end. So the South does have its good points as a reasonable sunny and warm climate as the original point the OP might make. As for as those "cold epochs" causing these drastic temperature swings, extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:34 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
C'mon. Even Houston get more nights below freezing than London at 50N. Now that is telling you something.

Weather History for Houston, TX | Weather Underground

Jan 2014 was 3F below average in Houston while last winter was well above average in London. I wonder how London would compare to Houston if that was switched.

So what that Houston got more nights below 32F in a colder than avg winter. Why don't you go find streetviews in London that look like these random places around Houston area.

http://goo.gl/maps/byKUd

http://goo.gl/maps/1I6cE

http://goo.gl/maps/g8tQ5

http://goo.gl/maps/tZdf4

November in Houston.

November again.

Queen palm in Houston. Queen palms in London burbs?

More Queen palms in Houston burbs.

Here if the current forecast for Houston. This would be a record breaking forecast for London on the eve of December. Forecast calls for partly sunny and 77F on November 30th. How often does London reach 77F on November 30th? Lol, they can barely manage that temp outside of the three summer months.

This constant harping about how bizarre it is for places like Houston to get as cold as they do compared to that salubrious London climate gets old. London is cool to cold for most of the year, and their summer is weak. They may be in a fake 9a zone, but they look nothing like a zone 9a in the southern US due to the utter lack of any real heat there throughout the entire year there.

Heck even a zone 8a in the US like Las Cruces NM grows palms more impressive than London.

http://goo.gl/maps/SOuWX

Old 11-27-2014, 06:27 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
YoUaReAtWaT or whatever his name is is clearly a troll & a rude one at that...

He/she/it provides NO evidence at all, simply stating guff about "cold epochs" that have affected the entire world (apart from the US South of course) & claiming that all other sub-tropical type climates have seen similar or lower record low temperatures than the US South, despite NO EVIDENCE at all

And he has the nerve to call everyone else stupid amateur climatologists

There is little point in making claims about climates from thousands or millions of years ago, heck even what is now southern England had a tropical climate back then, with fossils of palms & cycads being found. The ENTIRE WORLD had a different climate

All we can go on is weather records from recent history & England has some of the oldest weather records in the world & many other countries have records going back well over 100 years. So please stop with all this nonsense & only use reliable factual weather records, not what you think happened in the distant past ******* idiot.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:30 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

He/she/it provides NO evidence at all, simply stating guff about "cold epochs" that have affected the entire world (apart from the US South of course) & claiming that all other sub-tropical type climates have seen similar or lower record low temperatures than the US South, despite NO EVIDENCE at all

There is little point in making claims about climates from thousands or millions of years ago, heck even what is now southern England had a tropical climate back then, with fossils of palms & cycads being found. The ENTIRE WORLD had a different climate

All we can go on is weather records from recent history & England has some of the oldest weather records in the world & many other countries have records going back well over 100 years. So please stop with all this nonsense & only use reliable factual weather records, not what you think happened in the distant past ******* idiot.
Agreed!

Old 11-27-2014, 06:47 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,305 times
Houston did get a somewhat long-lasting cold wave in December 1983. 10 consecutive days that failed to get above 46 F. The first week of January however, it did reach 70 F.

Attached Thumbnails
The US South is subtropical paradise: Part 2-untitled.png  

Old 11-27-2014, 06:51 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlex View Post
Houston did get a somewhat long-lasting cold wave in December 1983. 10 consecutive days that failed to get above 46 F. The first week of January however, it did reach 70 F.

How many times have Brisbane, Tokyo, Durban, Malta, etc seen that?

Old 11-27-2014, 07:09 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
How many times have Brisbane, Tokyo, Durban, Malta, etc seen that?
Coldest ever daytime high I can find in Malta is 7.9C/46.2F at Balzan & 8.7C/47.7F at Luqa Airport...

Old 11-27-2014, 07:40 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
How often and by how much do temps "swing all over the place"? I posted for three cities how often over a 30 yr period temps differ from the mean by 5F, 10F, and 15F.

As shown, Florida varies the least, but even Philadelphia and Charleston have 90% and 87% of winter days respectively where the min avg temp varies less than 15F plus or minus. I think every winter we get swings, but it is not as if temps just keep going 15F plus and minus all winter. That is not borne out by the averages. Maybe in an extreme winter, but there is no way this is borne out by the average number of days with those differences each winter averaged over 30 years.
It is quite clear that temperatures swing all over the place during the winter based on the standard deviation in the many locations in the south. I do agree that Florida is more stable, I never said otherwise, though the panhandle is the least stable of the entire state since it's farther north.

You yourself have said averages don't tell the whole story. They definitely don't in the case of the south with the extreme cold snaps and deviations from average they experience.

The majority of winter may be close to average, but that doesn't take away from the wild swings that do occur 10-20% of the time (whatever the percentages are). It's just like where I live in the summer...on average they're pretty benign, but those few weeks of extremely humid and hot weather tend to stand out.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:31 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

You have to ignore this cold epoch thing, and the exaggeration about what grows in the South. Trust me, I listen to the local gardening shows from around the country from podcasts. Mangoes grow in the desert SW, south FL, Hawaii and Puerto Rico, and no where in the rest of the country. No one is growing mangoes in Charelston or Mobile or Jacksonville or Houston. They don't live. People there grow citrus and bananas for backyard consumption.

These exaggerated posts about "paradise" are to be laughed off. No where in the US is paradise trust me.

Also, in regards to London I may have exaggerated a little in my last post. London does not have a weak summer, particularly given the latitude. Mid 70's temps for most of the summer is decent. But imo only, the other 8 months of the year are cool to cold. Not biting arctic cold that we get, but cold none the less. London and the coastal mild parts of the UK are indeed impressive for the subtropical palms that can long term survive there. US gardening experts note that all the time. Heck even when I visited in January London looked more garden like than here.

But to somehow claim that because Houston gets more 32F nights than London makes it somehow less of subtropical climate just seems ludicrous to me.

It does seem true though that London is in a heat island, while Houston is in a much more widespread 9a climate.

Plant Cold Hardiness Zone Map of the British Isles

And Houston

Interactive Map | USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather