Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:45 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Your winter highs are in the 30s and 40s (and 50s) though!
A lot more in the 50s than the 30s, though.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:28 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
What a pathetic and sophomoric response.
You are though.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:05 AM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Its pretty much a given that Malta had cold snaps at some time in history; if it was this perpetual zone 10b, or 11a that you say it is, then all its native plants and animals would be frost tender (and this goes for all of the Med as well). Instead, the native palms, even in the warmest parts of the Med, are quite cold hardy; the Med Fan Palm, for example, is rated down to USDA zone 8a:

PlantFiles: Detailed information on European Fan Palm, Mediterranean Fan Palm Chamaerops humilis

Same as the Cabbage Palmetto, native to the US South:

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Cabbage Palm, Sabal Palm, Carolina Palmetto Sabal palmetto

For both areas to have palm trees of the SAME hardiness means that both areas, in their time, have been exposed to cold of the same degree, thus causing the trees to EVOLVE towards being similar in their hardinesses.

Tropical plants, and animals all are supported by the US South. Tropical flora, such as Mahogany, and Ebony, and even mangrove swamps, grow wild and free throughout the coastal South. Furthermore, it is not uncommon to see jaguars, ocelots, coatis, ringtails, spider monkeys, , crocodiles, fire ants, africanized honey bees and parrots in the native landscape of the South.
That is like saying it's a given that Hawaii had cold snaps at some time in history Everywhere on earth had a different climate at some point, but where exactly are you drawing the line?? We can only go by reliable weather records from RECENT recorded history, not speculate what such & such may have been like thousands of years ago! The fact is the US south gets these very low temperatures NOW, Malta doesn't & as far as weather records go back (around 200 years) there has NEVER been a temperature below 0C/32F...

And I pointed out that Malta has little in the way of native vegetation full stop, as it is a tiny rock. But what plants that now do grow in the wild, many are tropical species...

And please stop with these ridiculous claims that Jaguars are 'not uncommon' in the US south! They are extremely uncommon, infact there are NO Jaguars in the US south There may have been some in the SW USA, but even these are now extinct, except for perhapsone or two in Arizona
The same is true for Ocelots, once found in Louisiana, but now extinct almost entirely from the US...
Same goes for Coatis, found only in the US SW, besides their existance proves nothing of a place being a 'sub-tropical paradise' as there is a population of Coatis living in Cumbria in the north of England!
Ringtails are found throughout desert regions of the US & even live in UTAH!
Spider monkeys are NOT found in the US south.
Anhingas are found as far north as Pennsylvania & Wisconsin
Only one type of Crocodile is found, in south Florida!
Fire Ants are found widely across the US...
Africanized Honey Bee's also found across the US, mostly again in the SW, but even as far as Utah
And parrots? Well not native ones, the only native parrot species that remains in the US are Thick Billed Parrots, whic are endangered & found only close to the Mexico border. And other parrots species are introduced, which again does not make somewhere a 'sub-tropical paradise' as parrots species have been introduced across Europe, including the UK!

So please stop with the bull**** & provide some evidence or FACTUAL data

Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
You then said 60s and 70s in summer though. We have a handful of days at the start of June with an average high of 68-69f. We don't average 60f lows in any summer month, apart from in Central London.

The avg low is close enough to 60F. I mean isn't around 58F?

Anyway, sorry for the confusion and I apologize for accusing you posting false info.

Point is, grass color depends on night temps also, not just day. But the grass in the UK that is very green in winter is fescue type or some mix of fescue and rye probably. The grass is much better if it is a mix of different cool types. But fescue really dries up in summer unless it get loads of water. I've seen the photos on here of the brown grass in the UK in summer. As soon as that grass doesn't get regular rains it turns brown. The warm season grasses take drought and heat a lot better. Personally I would want a cool season grass, cause I don't like that grass that looks like hay in winter. Summer doesn't bother me as much as there is so much other green vegetation.

On a side note, when I went to Penn State University I knew a few guys studying turf grass management lol. Wasn't a BS degree, more like a technical certification. The guys that majored in that field were hard core partiers cause their classes were much less rigorous than a BS program. They all end up working at golf courses and athletic fields as groundskeepers. Back then I thought it was a stupid thing to study, now I'm a lot more interested in it. Funny how your outlook changes.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:43 AM

5,730 posts, read 3,510,184 times
Quote:
Its pretty much a given that Malta had cold snaps at some time in history; if it was this perpetual zone 10b, or 11a that you say it is, then all its native plants and animals would be frost tender (and this goes for all of the Med as well). Instead, the native palms, even in the warmest parts of the Med, are quite cold hardy; the Med Fan Palm, for example, is rated down to USDA zone 8a:
For most purposes it doesn't matter what a climate was like in the distant past. What matters is the present climate, the climate in the recent past, and the climate in the near future. The practical timescale is measured on the order of human lifespan, say 100 years or so.

Millions of years ago Alberta was a subtropical paradise with lush rainforests supporting very large reptiles. Does that matter now? Perhaps that history provides jobs to petrochemical engineers and paleontologist but it really doesn't affect day-to-day life. It certainly has no bearing on Alberta's current biosphere.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
That is like saying it's a given that Hawaii had cold snaps at some time in history Everywhere on earth had a different climate at some point, but where exactly are you drawing the line?? We can only go by reliable weather records from RECENT recorded history, not speculate what such & such may have been like thousands of years ago! The fact is the US south gets these very low temperatures NOW, Malta doesn't & as far as weather records go back (around 200 years) there has NEVER been a temperature below 0C/32F...

And I pointed out that Malta has little in the way of native vegetation full stop, as it is a tiny rock. But what plants that now do grow in the wild, many are tropical species...

And please stop with these ridiculous claims that Jaguars are 'not uncommon' in the US south! They are extremely uncommon, infact there are NO Jaguars in the US south There may have been some in the SW USA, but even these are now extinct, except for perhapsone or two in Arizona
The same is true for Ocelots, once found in Louisiana, but now extinct almost entirely from the US...
Same goes for Coatis, found only in the US SW, besides their existance proves nothing of a place being a 'sub-tropical paradise' as there is a population of Coatis living in Cumbria in the north of England!
Africanized Honey Bee's also found across the US, mostly again in the SW, but even as far as Utah
And parrots? Well not native ones, the only native parrot species that remains in the US are Thick Billed Parrots, whic are endangered & found only close to the Mexico border. And other parrots species are introduced, which again does not make somewhere a 'sub-tropical paradise' as parrots species have been introduced across Europe, including the UK!

You are wasting your time. I'm sure that Yn0wahtever is doing this on purpose and to troll this forum.

Best just to ignore the false information he posts. No one in their right mind in this country believes coconut palms grow in Houston or anywhere outside FL, Hawaii and the very bottom point of Texas. Even the big box store garden centers, notorious for selling stuff that will not grow in your local zone, don't have coconut palms for sale in Houston or New Orleans or anywhere on the Gulf Coast outside those areas I mentioned above.

Also, complete made up crap about the coastal south all have mahogany, etc. Just not true.

I'm sure this guy has to be a pissed off Wavehunter since we all caught him trying to pose as a British Expat for the sole purpose of disparaging the UK climate. If you ask me, I think it is Wavehunter or the faux British expat that was really Wavehunter. Either that, or a 13 year old kid trying to wind everybody up.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:48 AM

5,730 posts, read 3,510,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
A lot more in the 50s than the 30s, though.
I can't believe yet another subtropical thread has been hijacked by oceanic, temperate, and staid London.

Here's what we know so far:

1. Much of the US South is subtropical.

2. London is not subtropical.

3. Very little of the subtropical South is a subtropical paradise.

4. London is not subtropical.

5. Very little of the subtropical paradise of the subtropical South is tropical.

6. London is not subtropical.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post

One note though, there were native parrots in the Southeast US, but the farmers wiped them out cause they ravaged their crops. Still having parrots doesn't make a place a climate "paradise".

Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I can't believe yet another subtropical thread has been hijacked by oceanic, temperate, and staid London.

Here's what we know so far:

1. Much of the US South is subtropical.

2. London is not subtropical.

3. Very little of the subtropical South is a subtropical paradise.

4. London is not subtropical.

5. Very little of the subtropical paradise of the subtropical South is tropical.

6. London is not subtropical.

No where in the South is a subtropical or tropical paradise. Miami isn't tropical. Maybe some of the better Hawaiian Islands are sort of a paradise.

All I know is Lipstick palms do not grow in Miami, but they do grow in Hawaii and other true tropical climates.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:52 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
"Paradise" is highly subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather