Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more tropical: Miami or Bermuda
Miami 54 64.29%
Bermuda 30 35.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
This is a record warm Feb in Miami tbf

not when I was there in Jan and the ocean was still 74F. I've been there multiple times in winter and the water is always 73-75F. The gulf stream is potent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 09:00 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
This is a record warm Feb in Miami tbf
Except it's not?

Mean temp for Feb 2019 so far is ~73F. Last year was a record at 76.3F (higher than Honolulu at 75.4F), but there have been plenty of years with mean temperatures at or above 73F. Honolulu's Feb mean temp so far is 72.4F.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Except it's not?

Mean temp for Feb 2019 so far is ~73F. Last year was a record at 76.3F (higher than Honolulu at 75.4F), but there have been plenty of years with mean temperatures at or above 73F. Honolulu's Feb mean temp so far is 72.4F.
In the 124 years of records this is the 9th hottest start to feb ever.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:06 AM

5,720 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You know that the Gulf Coast of Mexico gets those fronts as well, don't you? Tampico (sea level at 23°N) and even Veracruz (sea level at 19°N) see the same cold incursions as Florida does. Heck, Veracruz has had winter days in recent years with high temps in the low teens Celcius, despite an average January high of 24.5°C or so
Like I said, I'm talking about climate genetics not temperatures. Cold fronts, by definition, are not a normal feature of tropical climates. Any place that gets cold fronts every six days on average during winter is not tropical genetically.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:09 AM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Except it's not?

Nothing comes close to last Feb for my area. Soon 90's will be the norm in FL during the winter within 30 years. Just the last 30 years alone have warmed up so much that the coconut line has moved 30 miles more to the north on the west coast of FL.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:45 PM

1,503 posts, read 912,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveit View Post
They don't have a large affect on vegetation, they're relative to the biases of the surveying organizations of a particular country - since each country tries to have it's own gardening zones, there shouldn't be international USDA hardiness maps.

Bizarre conclusions are drawn from hardiness/gardening zones if you're comparing them internationally.

If coastal south England is 10A, it should have native subtropical flora at least, right? And you should pretty much be able to grow coconut palms, right?

No, of course not.

Hardiness zones are used for gardening, and they're designed to be pretty over-conservative - and what's even more ridiculous is that they don't take into account yearly means, average highs, mean maximums, and record highs - only mean yearly minimums and record lows. They don't even take into account the intensity and length of summer, sunlight, precipitation...I genuinely have no idea why people use hardiness zone maps.

So you're getting your hardiness zone information from a tracking of the coldest possible temperature in a given year, usually felt during the shorter nighttime period.

This means that hardiness zones don't even represent native environment and flora - in the US, the maps essentially tell you to grow plants that are more temperate or cold-climate oriented than the ones native to your region. It's really weird. This is why you get forums like this:

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/wea...l-climate.html

...where people suggest Brownsville can't grow any tropical flora - despite it having native tropical flora and fauna - because of a record low from the 1800s - completely ignoring that Guangzhou's native flora is more temperate than Brownsville's because it gets consistently cooler average highs in the winter.
Hardiness zones are useful when used for a particular region which has a broadly similar climate. They're not intended to compare very different climates.

For example, a hardiness zone map would be useful for say knowing where in Florida a coconut palm is likely to grow longer term. It would be useful so say compare Miami with Tampa. It wouldn't be useful to compare Miami with somewhere with a totally different climate, like San Diego or Brighton.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:50 PM

331 posts, read 182,080 times
Bermuda has the climate I wish Miami had. One of the best climates in the world imo. If you could somehow find a decently sized piece of land there it would be so easy to grow food... this thread makes me wish Bermuda was part of the U.S. lol but then it'd be even more crowded. I think Bermuda is more tropical simply due to the much higher record lows. Difference between average temps of the hottest and coldest month is similar to Miami but Miami is subject to more variability which is something I associate with temperate climates.

Miami is in the tropical/subtropical transition zone whereas Bermuda is in some kind of tropical/oceanic transition (oceanic in the sense of extremely narrow diurnal and seasonal temperature differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather