Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more tropical: Miami or Bermuda
Miami 54 64.29%
Bermuda 30 35.71%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
also lows in the 40s in NOVEMBER in some Miami Metro Area locales would be very weird for a so-called tropical climate right?
A true tropical climate would never see that.

I have been to places with a record low warmer than 60F, now that is tropical!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:19 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
A true tropical climate would never see that.

I have been to places with a record low warmer than 60F, now that is tropical!
Exactly. Places like Acapulco have seen record lows in the 60s and Singapore has seen record low near 70F

Old 12-05-2014, 10:56 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Exactly. Places like Acapulco have seen record lows in the 60s and Singapore has seen record low near 70F
I agree, even places closer to Miami like San Juan or Kingston have completely different winters. Or more correctly, no winter at all, simply a less hot/slightly drier season.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:09 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,884 times
Miami may see lows in the 40s next week.
Miami, Florida (33010) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground

And on NOVEMBER 2 my house on Key Biscayne (just off the coast) recorded a low of 49.7. Some inland stations in rural areas were in the LOW 40s. Not too tropical.

Also on november 19 temps were in the upper 50s and low 60s all day with a low of 55 and a high of 65 (high was recorded at 9 pm) very strange for a "tropical" climate indeed.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:37 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Miami is not a true tropical climate, but it's closest thing we've got to it in the continental US.

Days like today feel tropical where the highs are in the 80s and lows in the 70s, however everytime a cold front comes through and temps fall into the 50s and 40s.... I'm reminded we do not live in a truly tropical climate, but again....it's close, but not quite there. .

If cold fronts did not come through, I'd venture to say Miami has a true tropical climate, but it's those cold fronts that sag so far south that ruin it.

I wonder why that is? Other locales at the same latitude have truly tropical climates. Why do cold fronts go so far south in this particular part of the globe?

Old 12-06-2014, 11:39 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Miami is not a true tropical climate, but it's closest thing we've got to it in the continental US.

Days like today feel tropical where the highs are in the 80s and lows in the 70s, however everytime a cold front comes through and temps fall into the 50s and 40s.... I'm reminded we do not live in a truly tropical climate, but again....it's close, but not quite there. .

If cold fronts did not come through, I'd venture to say Miami has a true tropical climate, but it's those cold fronts that sag so far south that ruin it.

I wonder why that is? Other locales at the same latitude have truly tropical climates. Why do cold fronts go so far south in this particular part of the globe?
Because Florida is flat and connected to the mainland U.S. which gets its cold fronts from the north. The Caribbean islands are surrounded by warm water on all sides which protects it from the cold pockets of air that travel across the land south into Florida. Australia is surrounded by warm ocean all around. South Asia has the Himalayas to protect it from the cold air masses.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:07 AM

40s this week in miami.Miami, Florida (33010) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground. Bermuda wont even dip into the low 60s. http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/BE.html

POINT MADE!

Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Thought it be fun to show what the weather was like today..

Would you rather be in Miami or Bermuda right now?

About 12 below normal in Miami right now.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:37 AM

60 cloudy and windy at MIA right now. Low of 45 forcasted thursday morning. 7 Day Forecast for Miami, FL - WeatherBug Mobile. Lowest forcast for bermuda is 64 7 Day Forecast for Hamilton, Bermuda - WeatherBug Mobile

Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

Because we get deep low pressure systems due to oceans on either side of us, and a huge chunk of land straight to the Arctic. North America gets more active fronts per year than any other continent.

Also, no large east-west mountain chain like in Karachi Pakistan to block the cold air. Check out Karachi. Same lat as Miami, much warmer record lows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather