Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Clouds, NW Winds, Cold aloft, 11am and Binghamton is only 37°F and feels like 29°F.

So just thinking out loud.... that was pretty cool. Weather is about timing all the time right?

Well, if it wasn't for the Ocean storm and the stalled front all week we would of had well above normal temps because there was another storm that went to Canada which returned a southerly flow at the mid and upper levels which meant WARM...but because of the ocean storm and stalled front we had clouds and a Northeast flow at the surface, which kept the surface cool! COOL!

So in a sense we escaped being torched into the 70s up to New England and 80s to Mid Atlantic.

If there wasn't an ocean storm, we wouldn't of stayed in the 40s during the day here. Just perfect timing!

Then the ocean storm left, the front pushed through and now back to a NorthWest cooler/near normal flow. Perfect timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 11:06 AM

269 posts, read 237,606 times
High today is supposed to be 81F, but it's still cloudy and only 69F so I doubt it will make it.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
from yesterday. Where'd the polar vortex go? Jet stream must have moved to the north

via

http://cci-reanalyzer.org

but there was a dip at 500 hPa:

Meteociel - Archives des analyses NCEP de 1871 aujourd'hui

Old 04-11-2015, 11:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Ok. Here's the progress so far. Dark gray is patchy snow, map shows snow cover for me but I don't see any outside (closest station recording snow depth says it melted out a few days before the end of March — very shaded spots may have melted out later). Not that much left in the hills, deep snow is limited mainly well to the north. By the middle of next week, outside of Maine, snow should be gone below 2000 feet or so. There's probably going to somewhere that records upper 60s with snow on the ground. Millinocket went to 61°F on the 3rd, 2°F on the 6th. Still has 15+ inches of snow on the ground.

NERFC Snow Page

Old 04-11-2015, 12:06 PM

592 posts, read 460,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Clouds, NW Winds, Cold aloft, 11am and Binghamton is only 37°F and feels like 29°F.

So just thinking out loud.... that was pretty cool. Weather is about timing all the time right?

Well, if it wasn't for the Ocean storm and the stalled front all week we would of had well above normal temps because there was another storm that went to Canada which returned a southerly flow at the mid and upper levels which meant WARM...but because of the ocean storm and stalled front we had clouds and a Northeast flow at the surface, which kept the surface cool! COOL!

So in a sense we escaped being torched into the 70s up to New England and 80s to Mid Atlantic.

If there wasn't an ocean storm, we wouldn't of stayed in the 40s during the day here. Just perfect timing!

Then the ocean storm left, the front pushed through and now back to a NorthWest cooler/near normal flow. Perfect timing.
D*mned stalled front lol. How come the cold fronts always come storming through right on schedule around here, but the warm fronts keep getting suppressed? I know you might like it, but I'm getting sick of these lame sub-60 highs where it takes like two weeks to get anything green to start sprouting from the ground. At this rate of warming, it'll take until May yet again until I can see green in most places

Old 04-11-2015, 01:15 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
High of 19.0C yesterday, low of 2.8C last night and high of 8.7C today.

That's one of the biggest day-on-day changes I can remember here, extra impressive when you consider the weather station is on a hillside and not in the best place to capture big diurnal ranges.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
High of 19.0C yesterday, low of 2.8C last night and high of 8.7C today.

That's one of the biggest day-on-day changes I can remember here, extra impressive when you consider the weather station is on a hillside and not in the best place to capture big diurnal ranges.
Is that the warmest of the season so far? Is that rather early for you? We're forecast to reach 19°C tomorrow for the first time this spring.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:30 PM

1,011 posts, read 715,306 times
We made it to 17°C here yesterday. We maxed around 8°C today.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:31 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times

Also awesome video of the April 9th tornado

http://www.weather.com/storms/tornad..._No_3_20150411

We had at least 5 tornadoes in Northern Illinois between Rockford and Chicago on Thursday. If that EF4 was just 25 miles east it would have hit a very heavily populated area

https://twitter.com/NWSChicago/statu...70823757434881

Old 04-11-2015, 01:49 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post

We had at least 5 tornadoes in Northern Illinois between Rockford and Chicago on Thursday. If that EF4 was just 25 miles east it would have hit a very heavily populated area
Saw that EF-4 rating this morning (or yesterday) Sick. I was going to post but got tired of it. lol You got lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
At this rate of warming, it'll take until May yet again until I can see green in most places
Tulips seem to have given up (the early ones anyway). Soil still cold but watch things bolt once we get some 60s and a 70. Speaking of green, see photo from today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ok. Here's the progress so far. Dark gray is patchy snow, map shows snow cover

By the middle of next week, outside of Maine, snow should be gone below 2000 feet or so. There's probably going to somewhere that records upper 60s with snow on the ground. Millinocket went to 61°F on the 3rd, 2°F on the 6th. Still has 15+ inches of snow on the ground.
Love the updates!

I told some people that many areas of Maine haven't seen the ground since November, they were shocked then said "how depressing". That's just nuts. And it's mid April and they still have over half foot snowpack.

I love winter but I do love my seasons (except summer). I would adjust to northern winters but part of me would be itching to see some ground at least after 3 months....I think... maybe not. Maybe I say that cause I'm just so used to seeing it 11 months a year. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather