Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:23 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times

Advertisements

Brisbane C+
Sydney C
Darwin D
Perth E+
Alice Springs E-
Melbourne E-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,893 times
Sunshine Coast: A+
Brisbane: A-
Darwin: B+
Sydney: B
Canberra: C+
Perth: C
Adelaide: C-
Alice Springs: C-
Hobart: D+
Melbourne: F

Brisbane would be better if it were wetter. Don't like Melbourne at all...way too erratic in an annoying way. Denver is erratic but it's not annoying.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:22 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Melbourne and Sydney being referred to as 'humid' will be a funny joke to Americans on the east coast and Brisbanians. We actually need more humidity in the summer. Since the AUS east coast is proximate to a large desert, the summer humidity (or at least the dewpoint) is relatively low compared to other areas on the east coast (Buenos Aires, Shanghai, NYC, Washington, Charleston, etc)...
To someone living in the driest desert city in the U.S., Las Vegas, with our 3-4 inches of precipitation a year, with humidity levels as low as 3% in June, if the humidity levels rise to over 20% in Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne, particularly in summer, this desert rat would find that exceedingly uncomfortable!
Perhaps even painful!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
What about these?

Wyndham, Western Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Charlotte Pass, New South Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Darwin: F-
Brisbane: F+
Adelaide: D-
Perth: D-
Sydney: D+
Alice Springs: C-
Melbourne: C-
Hobart: C-
Canberra: C+ (probably one of the nicest Australian climates that I know of)
Charlotte Pass gets an F as a residential climate but it would be fine as a mountain climate for Aussies who want to spend some time just to experience the snow as we Southern Californians often drive up to the mountains to do the same.

Wyndham gets a C from me; better than Melbourne. I like heat.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:57 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Melbourne's lack of freezing temperatures combined with the fact that summers are actually not too bad albeit a bit bipolar is why it gets a C+ from me. I've been to both Melbourne and S San Francisco before in the warmer half of the year and I found the summers in Melbourne consistently warmer than SF despite not being as sunny. The biggest issue was more the changeable temperature more than anything. If the temps are going to be changeable, I much rather have it in summer rather than winter as long as there is no snow or frost, hence why I'd rate Melbourne higher than somewhere like Raleigh or Atlanta. I don't mind warm rain but given the choice I'd rather it be dry and sunny.

But year-round heat trumps the desire for a dry climate for you?

I've noticed you've picked Miami over L.A. and Singapore (and other tropical climates) over the Middle Eastern Deserts. Is it because you find Kuwait City and L.A's winters a bit too chilly for your ideal climate?

Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
But year-round heat trumps the desire for a dry climate for you?

I've noticed you've picked Miami over L.A. and Singapore (and other tropical climates) over the Middle Eastern Deserts. Is it because you find Kuwait City and L.A's winters a bit too chilly for your ideal climate?
Yes winter temperatures are the first thing I look at in a climate, the warmer the better. I do prefer drier climates over wetter ones but winter temperatures trump everything else. For example, I'd choose New Orleans over Las Vegas because winters are a bit warmer despite the fact that Las Vegas is much drier and sunnier overall.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:11 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
I hate most Australian climates because of low humidity.

Brisbane: B
Sydney: D
Darwin: D
Perth: E
Melbourne: F
Alice Springs: F

Old 12-17-2014, 03:02 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I hate most Australian climates because of low humidity.
You'll probably like this AUS climate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innisf...nsland#Climate

Old 12-17-2014, 06:42 AM

578 posts, read 591,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Charlotte Pass gets an F as a residential climate but it would be fine as a mountain climate for Aussies who want to spend some time just to experience the snow as we Southern Californians often drive up to the mountains to do the same.

Wyndham gets a C from me; better than Melbourne. I like heat.
If it's cold you hate then Melbourne, like most Australian locations, seems to be getting warmer and drier by the year, especially at night (and especially in summer). I've spent a few winters there and it's really not so bad, the wind (which can get quite chilly) is the main difference to here. Have a look at this chart over the last 30 years: Climate statistics for Australian locations

A lot of people rating Adelaide much higher than Melbourne when, taking the last 30 years into account, we are only on average 1C warmer by day while our minimum temps. are virtually the same. Compare 1980-2010 in Melbourne to the long term averages, even just the early years of settlement (when it averaged just 12 in July in some years) and the trend seems fairly promising, although there'll likely be more heatwaves in the years to come.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:50 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Perth
Brisbane
Darwin
Alice Springs
Adelaide
Sydney
Canberra
Melbourne,Hobart

The original post just asked for an order, so no ratings.
Brisbane
Sydney
Perth
Darwin
Adelaide
Alice
Melbourne
Hobart
Canberra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather