Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 08:09 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
@15:00

5.5C @ London Heathrow

3.2C @ Norwich, cloudy with light rain (where I am currently)

It feels absolutely freezing in the wind... even with a jumper and thick coat with gloves I was still cold walking into uni. How can people wish for -15C etc?!
Don't be such a wussie. Lol.... It all depends what you are accustomed to... Just like how some countries actually consider 30C a "heatwave" during the summer.

UK heads for heatwave with 30C temperatures forecast

Old 01-14-2016, 08:29 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Don't be such a wussie. Lol.... It all depends what you are accustomed to... Just like how some countries actually consider 30C a "heatwave" during the summer.

[URL="http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33331349?scrlybrkr=52386e3b"]UK heads for heatwave with 30C temperatures forecast[/URL]
Well I certainly don't call 30C a heatwave, the official definition here for a heatwave is two days in a row of 32C with the minimum not falling below 18C, that's just the media.

I've experienced -15C and lower too skiing and it is just not pleasant at all even wrapped up, why would somebody want that in day to day life? Cold enough for snow I understand, but this f***ing wind is freezing and the grey cloud and light rain just makes it worse. I'll take our December weather over this any day

Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Well I certainly don't call 30C a heatwave, the official definition here for a heatwave is two days in a row of 32C with the minimum not falling below 18C, that's just the media.

I've experienced -15C and lower too skiing and it is just not pleasant at all even wrapped up, why would somebody want that in day to day life? Cold enough for snow I understand, but this f***ing wind is freezing and the grey cloud and light rain just makes it worse. I'll take our December weather over this any day
It snowed here this morning and now it's sunny. Great day.

30C on its own wouldn't be a heatwave, but certainly a hot day by our standards.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It snowed here this morning and now it's sunny. Great day.

30C on its own wouldn't be a heatwave, but certainly a hot day by our standards.
See I wouldn't mind if it was sunny and calm, but here it is grey, windy and light rain.. coupled with temperatures just a few degrees above freezing it makes for the worst type of weather.

The Daily Mail and other trash newspapers have headlines of 'heatwaves' in March if the temperature is expected to reach 20C. Really it's just sensationalist rubbish

Old 01-14-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Still two days of 32C and 18C lows temps are a heatwave? From your Met office it seems that most of the UK defines a heatwave with temps over 30C.

Quote:
These thresholds vary by region, but an average threshold temperature is 30 °C by day and 15 °C overnight for at least two consecutive days. These temperatures can have a significant effect on people's health if they last for at least two days and the night in between.
Weather and climate change - Met Office

Media here wouldn't bat an eye at those temps. Actually a minimum of 15C is rather cool in the middle of the summer. Local officials prefer to go with heat indecies rather that actual air temperatures because dew points can make the real feel temps much much higher. The air temperature may be only 32C but the heat index could easily be 10C higher.

HEAT WARNING CRITERIA FOR CHICAGO

Quote:
- 3 days with heat index of 100-105(degrees) with 85% sunshine and nighttime lows above 75(degrees) or

- 2 days with a heat index of 105-110(degrees) or

- 1 day with a heat index greater than 110

Quote:
I enjoy temperature extremes because I realize that they don't last long. Hot or cold. Enjoy the variety in weather while you can.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:55 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Why the hell are you rambling on? Nobody gives a ****. Everyone knows Chicago is much warmer than the UK in summer - you have nothing to prove.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Why the hell are you rambling on? Nobody gives a ****. Everyone knows Chicago is much warmer than the UK in summer - you have nothing to prove.
irlinit said how can anyone want these temperatures. I said it all depends on what you are accustomed to. Different regions have different standards and perceptions on what is cold or hot.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Still two days of 32C and 18C lows temps are a heatwave? From your Met office it seems that most of the UK defines a heatwave with temps over 30C.

[url=http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth]Weather and climate change - Met Office[/url]

Media here wouldn't bat an eye at those temps. Actually a minimum of 15C is rather cool in the middle of the summer. Local officials prefer to go with heat indecies rather that actual air temperatures because dew points can make the real feel temps much much higher. The air temperature may be only 32C but the heat index could easily be 10C higher.

[URL="http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-06-15/news/0406150084_1_heat-advisory-excessive-heat-warning-degrees"]HEAT WARNING CRITERIA FOR CHICAGO[/URL]

I enjoy temperature extremes because I realize that they don't last long. Hot or cold. Enjoy the variety in weather while you can.
Come on you know the UK doesn't see 30C all the time, anyway I enjoy higher temperatures, 32C is a very enjoyable temperature for me. Comparing the UK and Chicago is silly as you are 10 degrees further south than London, and up to 13 degrees south from northern English cities.

I guess I enjoy extreme heat in the same way you enjoy both extremes, but you can escape from extreme heat in pools/on the beach/ with air con.. with temperatures as cold as -15C you'd have to stay inside to be comortable

Old 01-14-2016, 09:12 AM

336 posts, read 204,557 times
18:12
-12°C and flurries
60% humidity

Old 01-14-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Come on you know the UK doesn't see 30C all the time, anyway
Yeah I know, but is it really urgent to warn the public when it's 30C outside?

Quote:
I enjoy higher temperatures, 32C is a very enjoyable temperature for me.
It is for me as well, although higher dew points can certainly make it feel uncomfortable for many.

Quote:
Comparing the UK and Chicago is silly as you are 10 degrees further south than London, and up to 13 degrees south from northern English cities.
That argument works well during the summer, but not in the winter.

Quote:
I guess I enjoy extreme heat in the same way you enjoy both extremes,
I love my winters cold and snowy, but I don't want them to stay cold past the three month season which many times does happen here. I prefer a quick warm up in the Spring and extended summer during the Fall.

Quote:
but you can escape from extreme heat in pools/on the beach/ with air con.. with temperatures as cold as -15C you'd have to stay inside to be comortable
Well on the flip side, you can always add layers of clothing on to stay warm outside, but you can be stripped naked and still feel hot (if you aren't near a pool or beach).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather