Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 06:55 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times

Advertisements

There has to be.

I can't even imagine what -40°C feels like.

I have felt 0°C on 20-30 occasions, and it is very cold, but nowhere near -40°C. I've heard you can get frostbite in minutes in that weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 07:58 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
There is a very big difference between 0C and -40C. 0C while cold is manageable, -40C is unlivable IMO.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:09 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
I'm a cold hater but even I can manage 0 C. In the sun with calm conditions, it can even feel warmer than a cloudy, windy, and rainy 10 C. I just need a heavy jacket and gloves if I'm going to be out for any length of time. It's cold but not dangerous unless you're also soaking wet. I don't even want to find out what -40 C feels like but I know you can get frostbite in minutes if your fingers and nose are exposed. Anything outside freezes in seconds.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:19 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Look at the OP's location. I doubt she's ever experience 0 degrees. If this week wasn't so warm I could go outside and tell you exactly how long I last in just a Tshirt at 0C.

OP, at 0 degrees the immediate sensation is to wince and feel a stinging on your skin, but you can stay outside for hours if you have polar fleece gloves, hat and coat. Jeans let your leg skin get a little chilly, but it's not really an issue. Children are allowed outside with only coat hat, gloves. I'll leave my coat in the car and walk into a store, a little huddled.

I've only experienced -25, but you can't stay out for more than 15 minutes without experiencing risk of frostbite in exposed skin. A single layer of polar fleece anywhere feels like bare skin, and you're cold even under decent cold weather gear. Kids have indoor recess, even with snow pants and boots.

I don't even want to imagine -40.

http://montreal.about.com/od/frostbi...emperature.htm

Last edited by WildColonialGirl; 12-22-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
0C is obviously freezing cold, and so is -40C. Now if someone in a 0C temp were to step in a -40C room, would it feel like an extreme difference? Now 0C to 40C is a tremendous difference (the latter temperature is a scorcher); But what about -40C and 0C? Because both are extremely cold.
I know you don't live in a cold place? But seriously?

Quote:
Another question; At what temperature does a person's hair and eyebrows start to frost up or 'freeze'? According to the Titanic movie, at -2C your hair and eyebrows get frosted (despite the high salinity in the water).
Umm. That was probably because their hair was getting hit by water. Walking to class in college, I would leave before drying my hair. Was around -10°C in the morning, my hair would freeze on the way. Didn't notice much other than my hair is hard.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:36 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
0C is obviously freezing cold, and so is -40C. Now if someone in a 0C temp were to step in a -40C room, would it feel like an extreme difference? Now 0C to 40C is a tremendous difference (the latter temperature is a scorcher); But what about -40C and 0C? Because both are extremely cold.

Another question; At what temperature does a person's hair and eyebrows start to frost up or 'freeze'? According to the Titanic movie, at -2C your hair and eyebrows get frosted (despite the high salinity in the water).
Had it happen this year a few times when temperature below -25C.

Also, since this may be more comparable to you:

Is there is a dramatic difference between 10C and 50C?

10C is obviously warm, and so is 50C. Now if someone in a 10C temp were to step in a 50C room, would it feel like an extreme difference? Now 10C to 50C is a tremendous difference (the latter temperature is a scorcher)

You'll get the same answer either way.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:51 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I know you don't live in a cold place? But seriously?
Even though I've experienced nothing remotely close to -40 C, it's very obvious to me. A better question I'd like to ask to someone from Minneapolis or Fargo would be, "Does 0 C feel more similar to -40 C or +40 C?"

Old 12-22-2014, 11:12 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
I haven't experienced temps below -25C but a few times, but even then there is a dramatic difference to 0C or even -10C. 0C or -5C isn't even cold in physical exercise. I used to shovel snow without a jacket in -5C as I otherwise simply would start sweating. I've played football in -15C in a long-sleeved shirt and gloves, and it became cold only after you stopped. At those temps not even my stamina wasn't really affected.

People who don't know cold tend sometimes to exaggerate the cold factor tremendeously. If it's above -20C "normal" outside life is completely possible with normal proper winter clothing without any fear of hypothermia or anything other life-threatening . And you have to take acclimatisation into account. If you experience 0C now coming from Sydney, of course it would feel cold. But I haven't had 10C outside temps in a month, so obviously I'm acclimatised to 0C at this point. OTH 25C would feel as a scorcher, as I haven't experienced it since August, while obviously in summer 25C would be just a normal day at the office.

My eyebrows have never frozen.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:52 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
at 0C (32F) I don't really need any gear- I usually only wear short sleeves and shorts. It's a "pedestrian cold"

at -10C (14F) I need a fair amount of gear: at least a hoody and maybe some long pants & gloves

at -20C (-4F) (the lowest I've experienced) I need a full winter jacket and definitely long pants.

I've experienced wind chills below -25C (-13F) and the cold "bit my skin" - it penetrated through my thick gloves in a few minutes. It would have been dangerous not to wear anything but full winter gear.

At -40 C I cannot even imagine the sort of gear you would need, but it's obviously a lot.

If you think about it, the difference between -40C and 0C is the same as the difference between 0C and 40C. Hence, one may as well ask "is there any difference between 0C and 40C?" Yes, clearly.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:18 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,042,541 times
Well i have only experienced temperatures down to -17°C (outside), but there is indeed quite a dramatic difference. At 0°C its not really cold unless a sharp icy wind is blowing. But with sunshine and light winds i don't even need to wear gloves at that temperature and a light winter jacket will do.

At -10°C with the same weather conditions it will feel quite colder and even more so when a sharp wind is blowing, in that case gloves or even mittens are a must for me also a thick winter jacket and i plan to spend some hours outdoors i will also put on long johns.

I experienced -15°C with about 25 km/h winds in February 2012 once which was really biting cold, i took on my ski jacket that day together with long johns and mittens. Took a walk for about an hour and came back with icicles in my beard.

At -40°C, i suppose you have to dress up like at an Antarctic expedition, the probability to get frostbite is very high and at that temperatures i would probably avoid to go outside for more than a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather