Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:07 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times

Advertisements

How can someone even ask this question. -40 is insanely cold, like you will die if you don't have legit cold weather gear covering your whole body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:11 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,991,315 times
Of course there is a dramatic difference. You can 't walk outside when it is -40 C. You will have ice in your face! :P 0 C is freezing but bearable. -40 are unbearable!

Old 12-23-2014, 07:29 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Alcohol freezes at around -40c, you can still drink it at 0c.

Both will kill you if you are outside and not dressed properly.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:32 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
For people in mild climates like LA and Sydney, 0C is "extremely cold", just the same way 30C is extremely hot for those in Glasgow and Anchorage. It's pretty much all relative. Not everybody perceives the climate like you do.
OC is a temperature that is recorded yearly within greater Sydney limits, so I don't think it's accurate to say it's extremely cold for Sydney, unless you consider Sydney to get extremely cold every winter.

Some areas around my region don't ever see OC, yet people from those areas don't seem to talk of 0C as being extremely cold.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:05 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post

Both will kill you if you are outside and not dressed properly
But not anywhere near on the same scale to the point that you can even compare.

The amount of gear required for -40 C while many coldies can tolerate 0 C in just regular clothes.
0C can be dangerous if you're either soaking wet or if you're wearing summer clothes and out in it for hours. I personally need a heavy jacket and gloves to be comfortable and have done it up at Big Bear. We even have seen it in the wee early morning hours here in Mission Viejo but it quickly warms up during the day. I think many of the coldies on here can be out in 0C wearing jeans and a sweatshirt for a good bit.

-40 C is inherently dangerous on the merit of its own temperature and needs extreme winter clothing and the covering of the face just to go outside for even a few minutes. Even the hardiest coldies still need to up extensively bundled up for this sort of cold for their own safety.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:44 PM

436 posts, read 421,175 times
This might be a bit of a spin-off, but what about animals? Clearly, there are plenty of animals frolicking around at 0C. Deer, rabbits, even birds. What happens at -40C? I think the coldest I've experienced in wintertime is around -20C, and only for a week or two at a time. Are all the animals hibernating/hiding/etc in -40C? Or do some adapt and go outside? (I don't mean penguins or polar bears either, obviously they're made for cold.)

Old 12-23-2014, 05:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post

Both will kill you if you are outside and not dressed properly.
Yeah... malnutrition and a complete lack of food will both kill you too. One will just kill you much more quickly while the other gives you a much better chance to fix the problem before it's fatal. Get stuck outside in jeans and a T-shirt at 0c and you'll have many hours or even a couple days to find adequate shelter. Do the same at -40 and you'll be dead within minutes.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:39 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
This might be a bit of a spin-off, but what about animals? Clearly, there are plenty of animals frolicking around at 0C. Deer, rabbits, even birds. What happens at -40C? I think the coldest I've experienced in wintertime is around -20C, and only for a week or two at a time. Are all the animals hibernating/hiding/etc in -40C? Or do some adapt and go outside? (I don't mean penguins or polar bears either, obviously they're made for cold.)
Polar Bears, Arctic fox, Arctic Wolf, Caribou, Musk ox(subspecies of the Gray Wolf), Penguins, Siberian Tiger some types of Seals and hardy birds.

20,000 years ago add Mammoths, wholly rhinos, Sabre toothed Cats etc to the list

Old 12-23-2014, 07:21 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
OC is a temperature that is recorded yearly within greater Sydney limits, so I don't think it's accurate to say it's extremely cold for Sydney, unless you consider Sydney to get extremely cold every winter.
I know, and I mentioned that. But only at nights. Most of us are in bed when temps reach 0C. Yes, there are early commuters who'd experience such temps. Anyway, -3C is, on average, the lowest the Sydney region gets. In other words, that's the coldest we can get. Still extremely cold for our standards.

I really want to experience 0C temps. I'll try this winter.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:52 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
I know, and I mentioned that. But only at nights. Most of us are in bed when temps reach 0C. Yes, there are early commuters who'd experience such temps. Anyway, -3C is, on average, the lowest the Sydney region gets. In other words, that's the coldest we can get. Still extremely cold for our standards.

I really want to experience 0C temps. I'll try this winter.
Some of the coldies will laugh at you for saying 0C is extremely cold but I also want to remind you that there are places in the world that have never even gotten below 10 C or 50 F ever and that most years, they don't even go below 16 F or 60 F. Think of the large population that lives in tropical climates. I know people from Thailand, India, and Australia (northern) who thought their first winter in L.A. was really cold. I wonder how those from those tropical nations fare when they settle straight to places like Chicago rather than Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather