Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich climate do you prefer ?
Philadelphia 33 68.75%
Lille 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 11:23 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Only when the humidity is high or in a warmer summer. July 2014 was just around avg at -.1F off the monthly mean.

Dewpoints aren't that bad. Avg max dewpoint was 65.5F. According to Weatherspark 1974-2012 avg peak July dewpoint is around 70F, so that year was a little less humid. But even when we have an avg dewpoint that is higher there are still breaks.

I don't think summers in Philadelphia are too bad - I could certainly tolerate it - but, as most people already know, I don't see the point in having summers that warm. I don't find 30C to be a pleasant temperature. I find sunny, 23C days to be the epitome of 'perfection' as far as pleasant weather is concerned. Most people would probably disagree, but I will never understand the desire for very warm or hot weather, beyond going to the beach and warm evenings. I probably never will.

Much like having an average summer high of 23C can mean some days won't break 20C, having an average high of 30C will certainly guarantee some very unpleasantly hot days with high humidity, particularly on the east coast of America.

For me, I just find I can do far more at 23C than 30C, and find the former to feel nicer than the latter, with or without sunshine. I think if you bumped up the sunshine hours in the UK our perception of the summers here would be vastly different.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 04-09-2016 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 12:01 PM

753 posts, read 838,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
It's not true that Lille's going to be below 20 °C most of the day, during the 23-24 °C highs (the average ones), it usually starts from 12:00/1:00 P.M. (and even earlier) and lasts until 8:00/9:00 P.M. (and even later).
I didn't say it's going to be below 20°C most of the day, just a significant portion of it. If you're walking to work or school in the morning on an average day in Lille it's going to feel fairly cool. Likewise if you're staying out late and hanging outside at midnight.

Now I don't personally care all that much about it - as long as the daytime high is comfortably warm that's the most important thing for me and I don't mind cooler mornings/nights. But a lot of heat lovers on this forum want solidly, consistently warm weather day and night during the summer, and Lille does not provide this on many days.

Quote:
It's true that you can get highs below 20 °C, but you get highs above 26 °C with the same frequency. 29 °C highs (or even ≥30 °C) happen virtually every year in Lille, so it's not true that it never gets hot. It's not like Belfast or Prince Rupert. It's not even like Philadelphia that gets those temperatures very often. I think summers in Lille will please both cool and hot weather lovers.
I never said it doesn't get hot. I'm well aware that Lille will get a certain amount of hot days every summer. And for myself it's not even that bad (I would prefer summers a few degrees warmer than Lille but it's not a total fail for me unlike some other people on here).

However the problem a lot of people here have with Lille is with consistency - some days will be properly warm, yes, but others will be overly cool and you never know when you're gonna get hot weather or when a period of cool, cloudy, rainy weather is gonna come in. Whereas in Philadelphia there's no issues with that - it's going to be warm-to-hot all summer long without fail, you don't have to think about it. You won't need a jacket or sweater or even a long-sleeved shirt at any point during most Philadelphia summers. So heat lovers will obviously prefer it.

Quote:
I think you are more of a heat lover.
By your standards I probably am. By the standards of the other "heat lovers" on this forum I'm definitely not.

My ideal summer averages would be somewhere right in between Lille and Philadelphia. I could deal with the summers in either city, but they're very much borderline - wouldn't wanna go cooler than Lille, wouldn't wanna go hotter than Philly.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:34 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Philadelphia for me, because it's sunnier and the difference in winter isn't that much Lille can't still get some serious cold.

Lille has warmer summers than my climate, but I wouldn't choose a Lille summer. over summer here.

Philadelphia is almost an annual average climate twin for my climate, with rain days and sunshine about the same and temperatures close at 6.8C/18.4C and 8/18.1C. Rainfall is a bit less than here though.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:32 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartfordd View Post
Lille has not good summer, I live in this city and the weather can be pretty miserable during the summer with cool temperatures and grey sky because of the oceanic front.
Philadelphia at least get warm to hot days with sometimes convective thermal thunderstorms.
Well, Lille (as most of northern France and Benelux) sometimes experience heavy summer thuderstorms, especially when Spanish plume happens.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:39 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Why are you saying that Lille doesn't have a summer? An average high of 23 °C is pleasant for doing outdoor activities.
That's why I'm saying Lille doesn't have a summer.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:51 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,680,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
If summer is only above 30 °C, then I don't like summer.

Isn't it a positive thing that Lille doesn't get a summer (by somebody's standards)?

Old 04-09-2016, 03:00 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Isn't it a positive thing that Lille doesn't get a summer (by somebody's standards)?
Not mine. I like variety.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:08 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,680,097 times
Quote:
Not mine. I like variety.
Really?

Old 04-09-2016, 03:12 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
So you actually want summer to be uncomfortable? See, I don't get that.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:20 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
So you actually want summer to be uncomfortable? See, I don't get that.
With those highs, Lille is cool to comfortably have a nice summer barbecue.

While my location is better, it is still too cool aside from Late june-early august to have a bbq outside in shorts, sleev-less shirt and bare feet.

Daily Data Report for July 2015

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather