Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 10:59 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post

Yes we did. The thunder woke me once last night.

L.A Mex said it was 84 yesterday and mid-90s the day before
In downtown L.A. it was 75 F yesterday and 83 F the day before. It's possible that there are some microclimates that were a tad warmer but our winter microclimates are much less pronounced than our summer ones (in summer it can be 65 F in Santa Monica and 100 F in Woodland Hills!). In winter, it's usually only a 5 F spread at the sea level elevations, for daytime highs. For night time lows, the spread is bigger in winter. At 6AM, it can be 32 F and frosty in Woodland Hills and 48 F in Santa Monica. We may see some frost in the valleys this week.

I can only dream about thunder so loud that it wakes me up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 11:09 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
In downtown L.A. it was 75 F yesterday and 83 F the day before. It's possible that there are some microclimates that were a tad warmer but our winter microclimates are much less pronounced than our summer ones (in summer it can be 65 F in Santa Monica and 100 F in Woodland Hills!). In winter, it's usually only a 5 F spread at the sea level elevations, for daytime highs. For night time lows, the spread is bigger in winter. At 6AM, it can be 32 F and frosty in Woodland Hills and 48 F in Santa Monica. We may see some frost in the valleys this week.

I can only dream about thunder so loud that it wakes me up
That summer spread is amazing! In south florida the largest microclimate spread is on extremly hot winter/spring days where it can be 89 inland and 77/78 at the coast

P.S thunder like that at this time of year is relatively rare (once every 1/2 months) However, in the summer it happens weekly.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
That summer spread is amazing! In south florida the largest microclimate spread is on extremly hot winter/spring days where it can be 89 inland and 77/78 at the coast

P.S thunder like that at this time of year is relatively rare (once every 1/2 months) However, in the summer it happens weekly.
Yes, the beaches come in handy during heat waves but not so much on a normal June day when you have hot sun inland and want to swim at the beach and it's too cold there to enjoy the water.

You still get more thunder during your "dry" season than during our "rainy season". It usually rains about twice a week in winter but we only get thunder maybe twice during the entire winter if we're lucky.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Lol what about those "summer monsoons" L.A Mex raves about?

Old 12-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Lol what about those "summer monsoons" L.A Mex raves about?
Isolated and sparse thunderstorms happen a few times every summer but mostly only effect the mountains and high deserts. If you're a typical suburban valley or coast dwelling Southern Californian, you hear thunder and see lightning (with a few sprinkles or light rain shower) in the summer maybe once every 2-4 years. Last summer was a fluke with much warmer than normal SST so it reached the coast a whopping 3 times the entire summer and even then it was isolated in nature.

As a fellow Southern California weather geek, I love to set people straight about our climate.
Check out this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...y-weather.html
This is much more common than 90 degree Christmases in L.A (record high for downtown L.A. on Christmas Day is 85 F BTW).

Old 12-25-2014, 12:03 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,049 times
While most Canadians are experiencing a green Christmas, I am not. I have 2cm of snow on the ground with a slight dusting this morning. Environment Canada defines this as the perfect Christmas.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
While most Canadians are experiencing a green Christmas, I am not. I have 2cm of snow on the ground with a slight dusting this morning. Environment Canada defines this as the perfect Christmas.
Lucky Thats perfect!

Old 12-25-2014, 02:54 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
What's even worse is the endless above average weather in the forecast.
Yep nothing unusual about reaching these temperatures, but it's just how long this is lasting. I mean this could easily pass for a late December forecast in Miami...

Not even going to comment about being there Thanksgiving rather than now.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Yep nothing unusual about reaching these temperatures, but it's just how long this is lasting. I mean this could easily pass for a late December forecast in Miami...

Not even going to comment about being there Thanksgiving rather than now.
That forecast would even be ABOVE average for miami!

If I remember correctly where I live in miami thanksgiving had lows around 50 and highs around 70 with dry air.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:05 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,775 times
Fairbanks is 14 F (-10 C) at dusk (4pm). Still quite dry. And cloudy.

Fairbanks Alaska Web Cam - Golden Heart Plaza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather