Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 03:13 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
They are 1.2C ahead of us on the mean temp in March. In April we are 2.4C ahead of them. Based on their avg between March and April and our daily averages, I think we surpass them around March 29th. For the month of November we are .7C ahead of them. I assume sometime in late Nov early Dec they surpass us. Around 8 months total we are warmer vs 4 months colder.

I assume for your area it is more like 7 months vs 5. Your area would have to be later in April and not late March since we are far warmer than you in March and November.
Heathrow is warmer than O'Hare from October to April. O'Hare is warmer May-Sep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 03:23 PM

29,512 posts, read 19,610,114 times
Quote:
They are 1.2C ahead of us on the mean temp in March. In April we are 2.4C ahead of them. Based on their avg between March and April and our daily averages, I think we surpass them around March 29th. For the month of November we are .7C ahead of them. I assume sometime in late Nov early Dec they surpass us. Around 8 months total we are warmer vs 4 months colder.

I assume for your area it is more like 7 months vs 5. Your area would have to be later in April and not late March since we are far warmer than you in March and November.
My local average high (IKK) is 55.0F/12.8C on April 1st and 57.6F/14.2C on April 7th which is the entire monthly average high for Heathrow. The mean for April 7th is 52.4F/11.3C. The mean for Heathrow in April is 9.9C... So it's safe to say that I surpass London within the first couple of days of April if not last couple days of March..

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Heathrow is warmer than O'Hare from October to April. O'Hare is warmer May-Sep.
By means yes. By average highs no.

MDW and UofC are warmer than Heathrow April through October in both means and average highs. So is my local station.

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 03-24-2017 at 03:38 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 03:49 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Every summer is beach summer here. Beggars can't be choosers and take a case of beer to the beach, after 12 lagers the 20C water is quite OK.

Throw a sauna in, a 10C water is ok.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
U
Quote:

I just looked thru the buoy data for San Luis vs LaJolla. For early August 2016 San Luis was reading 17C while LaJolla was reading 24.9C. You think LaJolla would feel colder at 24.9C than your waters around NZ? I wonder what a shock it would feel for someone swimming at LaJolla at 24.9C and then jumping in your waters.
it's hard to compare Bouys if they aren't in the same approximate distance/depth. The bouy(a marine research institute one) I use for Motueka showed 20C about 6 days ago- and that is 8km offshore. If the LaJolla buoy is at the same distance then it's a valid comparison, but for actual beach water temperatures, 24C wouldn't be unusual for mid summer here.

La Jolla is actually only 1.3C warmer in summer than Motueka, and I'm at 41"S. Southern Californa sea temperatures are little different to northern NZ.

Last edited by Joe90; 03-24-2017 at 05:13 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 04:44 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,406,685 times
F**ck this thread and the loser who keeps bumping them.

I've read this type of discussion to death, London is what it is, it is at 51N so why people have to keep comparing it to NE USA which is much further south I don't know. I wish we had warmer and sunnier weather, but I'm just glad that we miss out on extreme cold. That's all there is to this discussion.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:11 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,729,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
The rest of the year is alright/meh in terms of sun, it's obviously no Med, but doesn't feel vastly different from the rest of Western Europe bar its southern fringes; the predominance of partly cloudy feels like (no scientific basis for this) it yields less completely sunless days than Paris/Brussels/etc.
I have a spreadsheet with sunshine and temps for the last few winters for Paris and London and was curious to see how both cities compare in terms of sunshine percentage in winter. I'm puzzled by the results. London appears to have more completely overcast days than Paris, something that I wasn't expecting at all.

Granted, it's only the last 10 winters but should give a good approximation of what one should expect.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
not a single clear day for either! I wonder what the Pacific Northwest looks like; I think I've done graphs before.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:17 PM

As mentioned in other threads, the sensor never records more than 90% even on completely clear days because of the low sun. Cloudless days do occur (albeit unfrequently), but they don't appear on such stats.

I think this is the thread you're looking for? Google > Imageshack.
//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...er-season.html

Old 03-24-2017, 05:20 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I have a spreadsheet with sunshine and temps for the last few winters for Paris and London and was curious to see how both cities compare in terms of sunshine percentage in winter. I'm puzzled by the results. London appears to have more completely overcast days than Paris, something that I wasn't expecting at all.

Granted, it's only the last 10 winters but should give a good approximation of what one should expect.
Our sun recorder must be dodgy then, it seems to miss out many more hours than it should. We have sunnier winters than Paris, and most people that have been to both would say that Paris has more overcast and sunny days, while London has more partly or mostly cloudy days. On the other hand, apart from the winter of 07/08, most have been very cloudy in the past 10 years.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 PM

I don't think the % of overcast days shouldn't depend much on the alleged dodginess of the sun recorder. If as little as one minute of sun is recorded around noon, the day won't fall into the 0% category, so the W/m² threshold shouldn't have much of an impact. Paris is cloudier than London in winter, but the difference is minuscule. Also, the graph is for 2008-2017, not 1980-2010. As you implied, the trend over the last few years might be different from the historical one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather