Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 12:28 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,958,279 times

Advertisements

I'd easily take London over any hot desert or tropical rainforest climate, and there are tons of big cities with those climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 01:03 AM

269 posts, read 198,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Well considering the question posed I fail to see why you answer yes? I would say 'trash' climates are ones that kill wouldn't you? London may not have the worlds best weather but it is a LONG way from being one of the worst, and it is almost identical to Paris for one example of many, are we to believe that Paris has a 'trash' climate too? I'm sure the next time people that live in cities that have been destroyed by hurricanes, typhoon's or tsunami's will count their lucky stars they're not living in the comfortable benign London climate, I reckon the next time somebody in Moscow is digging their way out of a 5ft snow drift just to get to work they will be thanking their lucky stars they're not having to put on a jacket to combat the mild winter air in London right? I think the woman I know who lost her toe's to frostbite in Canada just because of a late bus thinks how lucky she was being there instead of at a mild, cloudy bus stop in London. If we are to believe that London has the lousiest climate of any big city in this world we need to hear legitimate reasons why this is so.
I was replying to another persons post and then you quote me saying that I said London has the lousiest climate of any major city in the world, which I didnt.
I'm starting to question your knowledge of Londons climate, since you think it's so wonderful. Those 'stereotypes' which you deny are actually true believe it or not, London is a cool, cloudy place and there's no denying it.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:17 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,843,622 times
Let me take a bash at this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I would say 'trash' climates are ones that kill wouldn't you?
That's a subjective opinion. Some people enjoy diversity in a climate, like snowy winters and hot summers. Others like warm climate year round, or cold weather all year round, etc. Trashy to some can always be brilliant to others.

Quote:
London may not have the worlds best weather but it is a LONG way from being one of the worst, and it is almost identical to Paris for one example of many, are we to believe that Paris has a 'trash' climate too?
Sure, it's not Moscow-bad or Mecca-bad, but London to me really does have a really lousy climate. Yes, Paris, Amsterdam and Berlin too. I think they're all E+ climates at best. It's just a preference. Why should we have to be so emotional when it comes to personal opinions? Sydney is also an E climate to a few users in here. I don't get all phased about it and confront the people with such opinion.

Quote:
I'm sure the next time people that live in cities that have been destroyed by hurricanes, typhoon's or tsunami's will count their lucky stars they're not living in the comfortable benign London climate, I reckon the next time somebody in Moscow is digging their way out of a 5ft snow drift just to get to work they will be thanking their lucky stars they're not having to put on a jacket to combat the mild winter air in London right?
Is London so bad that you're comparing it to cities prone to natural disaster? Of course, everyone in a natural disaster zone would prefer London. But this is a feeble analogy, as aforementioned.

About snow, again, there are people who enjoy four season climates (for the record, I do not) with 5ft of snow and such. But those who don't wouldn't want to be in London either - Now I'm not speak for everybody. But me personally, a 'comfortable' climate is something like SoCal, Western Australia and the southern NSW coast. By the way, a climate having extremely gloomy winters is far from "benign".

Quote:
I think the woman I know who lost her toe's to frostbite in Canada just because of a late bus thinks how lucky she was being there instead of at a mild, cloudy bus stop in London. If we are to believe that London has the lousiest climate of any big city in this world we need to hear legitimate reasons why this is so.
Just because people get frostbitten in Canada doesn't mean a climate like London should get a pass. That's like saying Winnipeg isn't so bad when we have climates like Barrow and Vostok Station.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:27 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,544,936 times
Why are there no Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow, Bilbao, Dublin, Brussels-bashing threads ever set up, yet there are at least 10-15 London-bashing threads over the forum?

Old 10-28-2017, 07:54 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,648,592 times
I wonder what are the climatic tastes of people who think that.

They like hot climates? Why not Moscow?
They like continental climates? Why not San Diego?
They like cold climates? Why not Cairo?

Why London?

Old 10-28-2017, 09:08 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,864,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I wonder what are the climatic tastes of people who think that.

They like hot climates? Why not Moscow?
They like continental climates? Why not San Diego?
They like cold climates? Why not Cairo?

Why London?
I don't know what it is about London's climate that seems to make it the target of bashing. It's not a Dfb or Cfc climate (my faves) but it has an overall good climate with no miserably hot summers or dry spells. It's also not prone to natural disasters so that is also a big plus going for it I personally think that the lower sunlight hours is a positive.

Worst climate of any big city in the world would probably be Cairo, or any of the other hellish desert climates in a major city. Any of them would work; they are all awful. A close second are the ones with no seasonality like LA or San Diego and third would be Mediterranean climates.

My opinion seems to be in the minority though

Old 10-28-2017, 10:25 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,272,122 times
LA and San Diego do have different seasons, just because it's not -25C in the winter doesn't mean they don't have distinct seasons. The average high in the winter in LA is about 65F while in the summer the average in the deeper parts of the city is 95F, don't tell me that those two feel the same

Old 10-28-2017, 11:35 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,927,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Why are there no Paris, Amsterdam, Moscow, Bilbao, Dublin, Brussels-bashing threads ever set up, yet there are at least 10-15 London-bashing threads over the forum?
London seems to be the most globally relevant out of those. It's also an anglo country, there's heaps of UK users on the forum and many have a preconception that the place is just constantly rainy and cloudy all year.

It is stupid though, there is too much focus on London on this forum.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:11 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,843,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
London seems to be the most globally relevant out of those. It's also an anglo country, there's heaps of UK users on the forum and many have a preconception that the place is just constantly rainy and cloudy all year.
Yeah, pretty much this.

I would still prefer London over NYC, Chicago, Toronto and any other Df climates btw. London is bad, but it's not terribly bad.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:10 PM

7,021 posts, read 14,416,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
At least London gets a few sunny and reasonably warm days every summer. Northern UK (Glascow, Dublin) and any subarctic climate is much worse.

I'd think the coldies would like London over a tropical climate because at least it gets a little bit of snow in winter.

I think San Francisco would be the climate that would get nothing above of a C from any of the weather forumers. No summer warmth for warm sunshine lovers and no snow or even frost for winter lovers. Unusable beaches where windy and foggy and 55 F in July which felt colder to me than sunny and 30 F with no wind in January at Big bear. No thunderstorms or any type of exciting weather phenomenon either.
Thing about San Francisco is even if you don't like the weather there, you can drive somewhere within a single day during the summer to experience blistering heat or snow in the mountains in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather