Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kind of cold weather do you prefer?
Sunny, no wind 17 45.95%
Sunny, windy 6 16.22%
Cloudy, no wind 6 16.22%
Cloudy, windy 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 10:01 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,042,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You Europeans really are getting all the good winter weather so far this year at our expense.
True but for Germany only for the Southern and Central parts , while here at the coast i haven't even seen genuine snowflakes the winter, the closest was a mix of rain and snow on christmas day.
However looking at Europe has a whole it does look great for most parts, especially Scandinavia and (North)Eastern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:05 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Not me. I LOVE and need wind UNLESS it's cold enough. Sometimes wind = air mixing too much and therefore air temp doesn't get colder. but give me wind any day!

For me not to need wind it has to be below 5F/-15C. And then I wouldn't mind a sunny day. Otherwise Cloudy and Windy is what I prefer.

Also remember, wind chill is temporary. meaning it only feels colder when the wind blows. So unless its constantly windy, its not feeling cold enough with just the gusts.

interesting.
I don't have much need for wind since the thread makes it known that it's cold already. If it's somewhat warm, on the other hand, then wind can give a much needed chill. When it's cold and too windy, it can make it harder to better layer up. If you layer up for the windchill, then when the wind's not blowing, you may feel too warm. And, likewise, if you don't layer up for the windchill, you may feel too cold. Furthermore, strong wind itself can be rather irksome in many ways. I love it when it's well below freezing, but I like a steady feel to the cold so I know what I'm up against when it comes to wearing the right clothing.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The East Frisian View Post
True but for Germany only for the Southern and Central parts , while here at the coast i haven't even seen genuine snowflakes the winter, the closest was a mix of rain and snow on christmas day.
However looking at Europe has a whole it does look great for most parts, especially Scandinavia and (North)Eastern Europe.
Yeah, being by the sea is often a bad deal for cold lovers. I'm well aware of that, myself, sadly...

Old 12-28-2014, 10:10 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,172,756 times
Sunny with no wind.
30 F with sun and no wind can feel warmer than 50 F, cloudy, and windy.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:22 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Sunny with wind. It stops frost forming if the temperature is around freezing.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:47 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
So far my suspicions are confirmed, where cold loving people only like it sunny with no wind (that option is +200% over the others so far). That means a good deal of the winter is not to their preferred liking unless they live in Colorado or other Steppe climates, even if they like cold weather. But even Steppe climates are very windy most of the time so really their preference would be mountain valleys protected from the wind in Steppe climates, but unfortunately those valleys would get fog at least in the mornings which would mean cloudy conditions not favorable to them either. Very interesting...

So maybe their preference really is "Cold conditionally". I think it really means that in the winter there are some tolerable temperature and sun conditions for many, just as I suspect there are many tolerable temperature and sun conditions in the summer.

If you plotted a 3D "comfort" graph out with temperature, sun coverage level, and wind speed I think you'd find an "oval blob" representing "comfort levels", with each person having a different base point but the same oval shape. Anyone understand what I'm getting at?

Last edited by cBach; 12-28-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 12-28-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
So far my suspicions are confirmed, where cold loving people only like it sunny with no wind (that option is +200% over the others so far). That means a good deal of the winter is not to their preferred liking unless they live in Colorado or other Steppe climates, even if they like cold weather. But even Steppe climates are very windy most of the time so really their preference would be mountain valleys protected from the wind in Steppe climates, but unfortunately those valleys would get fog at least in the mornings which would mean cloudy conditions not favorable to them either. Very interesting...

So maybe their preference really is "Cold conditionally".
Anyone who likes one kind of weather does so "conditionally." I may not like strong wind as much as I like cold weather, but my love of cold weather easily overrides my bad feelings for strong wind so that I'm more than willing to put up with it to get cold weather and snow.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:04 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Interesting the least favorite is a tie between cloudy no wind and sunny with wind. Why would that be?

Old 12-28-2014, 01:45 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Definitely cloudy and windy. That's the perfect combo. I love a cold refreshing wind on a cloudy day. Whether it's 40 F/4 C or 20 F/-7 C, I'll enjoy a brisk, invigorating breeze. Much of it has to do with the "interest" factor.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:52 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,036 times
I don't like cold weather.
But it's better when it's sunny and there is no wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather