Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich place is more subtropical ?
Atlanta 55 61.80%
Rome 34 38.20%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:07 PM

24,205 posts, read 24,644,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Deciduous climax trees in southernmost Scandinavia, especially in Denmark and Southern Sweden.
A small area along the southern coast of Norway have oak (Quercus robur) as climax tree.
That's true as well. Birch and linden will become the main climax species here if the climate continues changing. In the archipelago you might find oak as a climax tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 04:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,149,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well then the question is what is the difference between the climax community in Rome vs Atlanta.
Dunno. I'm rather sure Savanah would look more subtropical. I'm not that familiar with Italian vegetation. Looking a random forested streetview in the countryside outside each city.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Atlan...115.5,,0,-8.78

More pine, but doesn't look that different from some of the Mid-Atlantic? Some fall colors here…

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Atlan...91.3,,0,-15.57

I can understand winter looking bare somewhere subtropical but April?!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Atlan...17.8,,0,-11.76

Some of these may be tree plantations rather than native. Actually there's an old growth forest in Atlanta itself:

Fernbank Forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

===============================

Now Rome. In Italy the land use is high, it appears almost of the low lands have lost their forests; forests are in the hills and mountains with old growth in remote high elevation locations. This isn't that high elevation (about 300 m) and in public land:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fores...,41.07,,0,1.45

another:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=fores...72.29,,0,-3.87

Old 01-22-2015, 05:02 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,167,031 times
Native vegetation of Rome area is not "subtropical" or subtropical looking.
Native trees are mostly deciduous: maple, alder, beech, ash, hornbeam, poplar, willow, linden, elm. Evergreen native trees include various types of oaks. Native shrubs are hawthorn, dogwood, holly, box, strawberry tree, juniper, rosemary, phillyrea, viburnum.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:59 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,237,717 times
Rome is definitely the answer, though neither area is "subtropical". Rome is definitely warmer in the winter.

Rome is Mediterranean in feel and most similar to Coastal California.

Atlanta is like pretty much like the entire eastern half of the U.S., adjusted for latitude. It isn't remotely Mediterranean at all.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Rome is definitely the answer, though neither area is "subtropical". Rome is definitely warmer in the winter.

Rome is Mediterranean in feel and most similar to Coastal California.

Atlanta is like pretty much like the entire eastern half of the U.S., adjusted for latitude. It isn't remotely Mediterranean at all.
Neither is Savanah, Georgia but Savannah's obviously more subtropical than either. Mediterranean is very different from humid subtropical, which is what first comes to my mind for me when I hear "subtropical". Rome winter averages are about the same as Atlanta.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:03 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,542,941 times
I don't even understand what "more subtropical" is supposed to mean.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Native vegetation of Rome area is not "subtropical" or subtropical looking.
Native trees are mostly deciduous: maple, alder, beech, ash, hornbeam, poplar, willow, linden, elm. Evergreen native trees include various types of oaks. Native shrubs are hawthorn, dogwood, holly, box, strawberry tree, juniper, rosemary, phillyrea, viburnum.
Any images of a landscape with native vegetation?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,256,742 times
There is no such thing as "subtropical vegetation" to begin with, so it is pointless to argue Atlanta or Rome has a certain climate based on plant species. Not to mention these cities are on different continents. If this was a thread debating whether Virginia Beach or Nashville, TN was more subtropical, I could argue that VA Beach was more subtropical because it is within the range of live oak (Quercus virginiana), widely considered to be a subtropical species. However, Europe and North America have entirely different plant species, so this comparison cannot be made.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,312,471 times
I lived in far southeastern Florida for 12 years. The subtropical plants, trees and flowers that grow in that area would never survive here. In fact, today here in Atlanta, I saw a small palm tree planted in someone's yard. It was quite dead! A couple of years ago Atlanta had several inches of snow and some very cold temps (remember "Snowmageddon" when cars were backed up for miles on the interstate for 8 hours?). Many bushes that normally survive the winter here died that year.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:39 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,408,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
There is no such thing as "subtropical vegetation" to begin with
I think the deep south has a uniquely beautiful biome. But you're right that it's not inherent feature of subtropical climates, but probably just that particular region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather