Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 07:24 PM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times

Advertisements

nei, those are gorgeous pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 04:34 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Photos from a bike ride on Sunday. High in the mid 80s, dew points mid 50s, though slightly cooler where I was most of the time. All from my phone, brought my real camera with my but forgot to put the SD card in.

Waited a bit for the sun angle to go down so the road up the steep hill would be mostly shaded. Further up the river:

top of the hill

Nice colorful pics. That one looks familiar. Was that a spot you were at before? River looks low.

Nice tower. I like the rock one better than the fire one. That fire one looks like it could be a nervous climb or drop. lol

I wonder if anyone reported that car. Cops probably have it stolen and unfound. lol. Unless it was a private property?

Old 05-23-2015, 05:25 PM

Took advantage of potentially the last morning in the 40s and last day staying in the 60s. Went hiking in NorthWest corner of CT. Highest peak in the state, Mt Bear. 2200'

First, driving through northern Litchfield County was just so relaxing. Long stretches without electric wires, seeing cars, fresher air then near the coast, scents came alive like firewood, grass, trees, ect.

Started as chilly May morning in the mid 40s and was low 40s when I got there.

Past by farmland

Past by Cows

Past by Acres of Land for sale. "Open Fields and Wooded Hillsides"

Past by woodsy areas with Rivers nearby

Past by cute little towns where stores looked like houses. No tall buildings anywhere in sight!

NY Plates seen here. We are close to the border. (Salisbury, CT)

New England Village Centre

I past 2 awesome looking villages and wanted to snap a photo but the congestion there was disgusting and didn't have a chance to even pull over. I said forget it.

This was after I past the cool looking part of the village on a hilly corner. Way too many people. Back further with Google Earth.

Church

Last edited by Cambium; 05-23-2015 at 05:38 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 05:42 PM

The hike... 42°F. Clear Skies under High Pressure. 5.50 Mile Hike. Total time 2hrs 20 minutes. Burned 650 Calories.

Under Mountain Trail. Salisbury, CT

Won't bore you with the usual "woods scene" on a hike.. Here's first lookout point... Facing West over NY.

Getting up near the top the trees thinned out and the views were great in spots. Facing West still. Trail became all rock.

I saw these colorful flowers. Not sure what they are.

Those pink flowers closeup

Spoiler

At the top a pile of rocks to climb and sit on. Few people up there.

Closeup of that monument sign there next

From the top. Across is Mt Frissel which is in Massachusetts. CT's highest point is also on that mountain but the highest peak is here. So we're looking towards CT/MA border and MA in background

Winds were ripping. We were half way to 850mb level. LOL which was below freezing few hours ago. Found out it was in the upper 30s(F)

Another look from the top facing E towards Twin Lakes and Washinee Lake over Litchfield County, CT on the right, MA on the left.

Cool looking Bonsai trees at the top

What some of the trail looked like in the woods.

Spoiler

Last edited by nei; 05-24-2015 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-24-2015, 10:43 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,385,067 times
today evening shots

Old 05-24-2015, 10:56 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,538 times

Old 05-24-2015, 12:24 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The hike... 42°F. Clear Skies under High Pressure. 5.50 Mile Hike. Total time 2hrs 20 minutes. Burned 650 Calories.

Under Mountain Trail. Salisbury, CT

Won't bore you with the usual "woods scene" on a hike.. Here's first lookout point... Facing West over NY.

Getting up near the top the trees thinned out and the views were great in spots. Facing West still. Trail became all rock.

I saw these colorful flowers. Not sure what they are.

Those pink flowers closeup

At the top a pile of rocks to climb and sit on. Few people up there.

Closeup of that monument sign there next

From the top. Across is Mt Frissel which is in Massachusetts. CT's highest point is also on that mountain but the highest peak is here. So we're looking towards CT/MA border and MA in background

Winds were ripping. We were half way to 850mb level. LOL which was below freezing few hours ago. Found out it was in the upper 30s(F)

Another look from the top facing E towards Twin Lakes and Washinee Lake over Litchfield County, CT on the right, MA on the left.

Cool looking Bonsai trees at the top

What some of the trail looked like in the woods.

Spoiler

Very nice! Must have been a nice, cool day for a hike. Nice photos of the town and the surroundings, too. The northwestern extremity of Connecticut seems very pleasant.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:34 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Photos from a bike ride on Sunday. High in the mid 80s, dew points mid 50s, though slightly cooler where I was most of the time. All from my phone, brought my real camera with my but forgot to put the SD card in.
Neat shots. That ride is a classic of yours, right? How long is it? And how much elevation gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Past by cute little towns where stores looked like houses. No tall buildings anywhere in sight!
Cute town indeed. It looks warmer from the photos than it actually was. Why is centre spelled that way? Is it common? Though after all the area is called New England!

Few pics from last week at work. The glare of the sun is getting strong around midday.

Local wildlife?

The snowy backdrop is still there.

I visited a friend who's living in Normandy this weekend.

Spoiler

Cute village center

I was tempted to bring this palm back to Nice with me. Didn't see anything else than trachys, Normandy's chillier than Brittany.

The last town on the banks of the Seine. Samuel de Champlain, the founder of "New France" and Québec city, started his journeys to Canada from this port.

Spoiler

Last bridge on the Seine

Some people enjoyed their dip in the sewage of 15 million people and the waste of three nearby oil refineries.

Boat name "Samuel de Champlain". Neat coincidence. Maybe it's headed to Canada?

Gotta love the lush vegetation.

Spoiler

Monkey puzzle tree

Old houses in Rouen

Spoiler

This square was where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake by the English.

Narrow streets, but not quite as narrow as in Provence and Liguria.

People were enjoying cold beverages at café terraces. Brr.

Still newer than the Mayflower.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:32 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

[/spoiler]
Beautiful pictures. That fifth picture with the church in Normandy looks warm, perhaps because of the sun rays.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Very nice! Must have been a nice, cool day for a hike. Nice photos of the town and the surroundings, too. The northwestern extremity of Connecticut seems very pleasant.
Very. I'd love to live there. So many reasons. Population is one reason.. In fact, a lot of folks live there and work in southern NY. Take the train or car. Taxes are cheaper and you get more land. They sacrifice the 1.5-2 hour commute each way. Air is so much more fresher its amazing and the people are very friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

Cute town indeed. It looks warmer from the photos than it actually was. Why is centre spelled that way? Is it common? Though after all the area is called New England!
Not sure why its spelled like that. I thought it was funny too. I wonder why it looked warm? Sun angle? Green Trees? Blue skies? I don't have a knack for depicting weather just from looks. lol Maybe because we have a variety here and it can be deceiving?

Quote:
The snowy backdrop is still there.

Too awesome.

Thanks to everyone posting pics of their day or trips. Good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather