Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 04:06 PM

269 posts, read 237,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Wow! The forecasts for tomorrow night have changed from 7F to 2F. There's still hope to break the monthly record at KISP. Then another blast at the end of the week; forecast is 7F for Friday morning.

I don't even care anymore if the pattern is going to loosen its grip in March - this month has been so satisfying.
Wunderground is now saying a low of 1F Monday night in Islip, it would really be something if the record was broken this late in the month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 04:08 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
I don't even care anymore if the pattern is going to loosen its grip in March - this month has been so satisfying.
[quote=Qilin34;38552130]Same,quote]

Yup...my batteries are 90% recharged so Spring & Summer are more tolerable now and shouldn't drain the misery out of me as fast. Just need 1 more big snowstorm after this cold air coming and that will complete the charge. . Anything more is just a bonus

Old 02-22-2015, 04:09 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
from what I have read on accuweathers forums it seems the general consensus seems to be the pattern will start to change after this final week of February and above normal warmth during second half of march. I can only hope so. pna is going negative at last and epo neutral to slightly positive and wpo is supposed to go positive so overall a warmer look for the east but then again we can only hope.
It's about flow - like the arrow Cambium drew. If that is coming SW to NE from the Gulf then I'm happy as a clam.

Especially with summer dewpoints, it makes the difference between dry fall-like air or tropical magic:

Weather History for Lexington, KY | Weather Underground

Weather History for Lexington, KY | Weather Underground

Last edited by Wildcat15; 02-22-2015 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 05:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
I predict this arctic blast will keep going to mid March. Then we'll get a spell of weather in the 60s (or a few days in the 70s?) and everything will turn to marsh.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:24 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I predict this arctic blast will keep going to mid March. Then we'll get a spell of weather in the 60s (or a few days in the 70s?) and everything will turn to marsh.
Do you think that wetter ground would have any effect on dewpoints?

Old 02-22-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
It's about flow - like the arrow Cambium drew. If that is coming SW to NE from the Gulf then I'm happy as a clam.

Especially with summer dewpoints, it makes the difference between dry fall-like air or tropical magic:
Yup, the Polar Vortex dropping down near Hudson Bay again after curling back into Canada 2 days ago and a trough is getting carved out in the east again. Which means a NW flow again. Hard for a ridge to pop north with the vortex that far south.

We can see this using the 500mb heights. I'm shut down for the night and this link doesn't work on my phone but it should show HPCs forecast for the upper flow.

WPC 500 MB Height Pattern Preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There's now a few runs with signs that we moderate more then we have and the cold blasts are spread out. We'll see. I agree, 60s so easy to happen in march. 70s is stretching. Wouldn't that be near the extreme?

Quote:
Do you think that wetter ground would have any effect on dewpoints?
Interesting. Hmm. I Would assume it will and does. Lots of moisture sitting there and slowly melting through spring.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:42 PM

Haha. NWS Boston says what I been seeing with the models past few updates.

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
OVERVIEW...

UPPER LEVEL FLOW ACROSS THE LOWER 48 STARTS OFF WITH A CONTINUED
EASTERN TROUGH AND WEST COAST RIDGE.

HOWEVER...MODELS AND
ENSEMBLES STARTING TO SIGNAL CHANGE
...AS THE UPPER TROUGH LOOKS
TO MOVE OFFSHORE INTO THE WESTERN ATLC BY THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK
WITH BROAD TROUGHING SETTING UP ACROSS THE NORTHERN PLAINS AS A
BROAD RIDGE BUILDS ACROSS QUEBEC AND THE NORTHEAST BY LATE WEEK.

WITH BROADNESS OF BOTH THE EASTERN RIDGE AND UPSTREAM TROUGH...
WILL SEE FAST MOVING SYSTEMS IN THE NORTHERN STREAM FLOW THROUGH
MID WEEK.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:11 PM

https://twitter.com/TimBuckleyWX/sta...76982318985216

Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup...my batteries are 90% recharged so Spring & Summer are more tolerable now and shouldn't drain the misery out of me as fast. Just need 1 more big snowstorm after this cold air coming and that will complete the charge. . Anything more is just a bonus
Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels recharged by a cold winter. I need a winter that's adequately cold in order to handle a hot summer. Though the heat during the summer of 2012 was more extreme, the summer of 2011 was consistently hotter, but I was able to handle it better because the winter of 2010-2011 was nice and cold, whereas the "winter" of 2011-2012 didn't happen. In fact, 2012 is the only year during which I had to use the air conditioner in my bedroom at least once in all 12 months. This time around, I haven't had to use it since the first two days of December. There's only been one 70° day since then, which is how winter should be here.

By the way, I just found out that Pittsburgh had a low of -10° on Friday morning, which would be the first time since 2009, but also the coldest it's ever been so late in the winter season!

Quote:
I can handle right now, in fact it's kind of exciting. What I can't stand is that probably all we have to make up for it is another half assed summer with 50s dewpoints as the norm.
At least Lexington is low enough in elevation to be guaranteed a few 90° days per season. Pittsburgh is the king of half-assed summers at its general latitude. You pretty much have to have a Bermuda high locked in place with the core of the heat over the Deep South (east of the Mississippi River) for Pittsburgh to have more than five 90° days in a summer. Not even a Texas scorcher guarantees much since the heat that bubbles off it tends to bake the Great Lakes and misses Pittsburgh to the north. And KPIT is high enough in elevation to rub two degrees off every high temperature, so if cities to the west have tepid summers with only a handful of days in the low 90s, then Pittsburgh is prone to getting shut out as it did in 2014 -- and in 2004, 2003, 2000, 1992, 1982, 1979, 1976...

Old 02-23-2015, 05:41 AM

Current Surface Map. 1044 Arctic High dropping in, and the front now over this area and passing through. Temps dropping through the daytime.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Surface/Mixed.aspx

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather