Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:54 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times

Advertisements

Well, Western Europe can get heatwaves and coldwaves with heavy snow too. Remember two months ago ? Also, I've already known temps close to -20c in (albeit eastern) France, it's just pretty exceptional for there below 500 m elevation.

I'd say heatwaves are more possible than cold waves because the Sahara is closer than Siberia, and oh, climate change.

It just doesn't get them at the frequency of Eastern Europe because of the Gulf Stream that weakens any possibility of extreme weather.

At least if we're talking extreme events I bet (North) Western Europe gets more storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 07:18 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Well, Western Europe can get heatwaves and coldwaves with heavy snow too. Remember two months ago ? Also, I've already known temps close to -20c in (albeit eastern) France, it's just pretty exceptional for there below 500 m elevation.

I'd say heatwaves are more possible than cold waves because the Sahara is closer than Siberia, and oh, climate change.

It just doesn't get them at the frequency of Eastern Europe because of the Gulf Stream that weakens any possibility of extreme weather.

At least if we're talking extreme events I bet (North) Western Europe gets more storms.
Yes, its the frequency. When was the last time Western Europe had a heatwave of this magnitude? 2006? 2003? And I agree, extreme heat is a little more likely than extreme cold.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:18 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
I am glad that Western Europe is so mild..

Also, for the latitude we do get some extreme weather, Auxerre at about 48N IIRC recorded five 40C days in a row in 2003. In fact, if you compare the PNW to Western Europe, then Western Europe sees more extremes. East of the Rockies is a different matter, but then if Europe had a long north to south tall mountain range on the west coast then I'm sure it would be similar to PNW

Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,314 times
Quote:

We mean about the possibilities that West and East get cold waves. Of course sometimes in West Europe they get snow and cold.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
I am glad that Western Europe is so mild..

Also, for the latitude we do get some extreme weather, Auxerre at about 48N IIRC recorded five 40C days in a row in 2003. In fact, if you compare the PNW to Western Europe, then Western Europe sees more extremes. East of the Rockies is a different matter, but then if Europe had a long north to south tall mountain range on the west coast then I'm sure it would be similar to PNW
Hmm. That depends how far inland you would consider the "PNW". If the entire states of Washington and Oregon are considered the "PNW" then, they easily see way more extremes than Western Europe. No question about it.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Hmm. That depends how far inland you would consider the "PNW". If the entire states of Washington and Oregon are considered the "PNW" then, they easily see way more extremes than Western Europe. No question about it.
Yeah hence why I said the western side, you can't really compare east of the Rockies as there is no similar place in Europe. Places like Paris and London see more extremes than Seattle and Vancouver, if you go to southern France around 43N you see places averaging 32C highs and reaching 40s each year, certainly doesn't happen anywhere within 100 miles of the coast in PNW, likewise Portugal at the same latitude as Northern California sees 40C regularly not too far from the coast

Old 09-24-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah hence why I said the western side, you can't really compare east of the Rockies as there is no similar place in Europe.
Well even on the western side of the Rockies. Remember, there is also other mountain ranges right on the coast. On the east side of the Cascade Range, Priest Rapids has an average high of 33.1C in July at 47N, and that is is jaw dropping.

Quote:
Places like Paris and London see more extremes than Seattle and Vancouver,
That is debatable.

Quote:
if you go to southern France around 43N you see places averaging 32C highs and reaching 40s each year, certainly doesn't happen anywhere within 100 miles of the coast in PNW, likewise Portugal at the same latitude as Northern California sees 40C regularly not too far from the coast
Like I showed you above within about 150 miles, Western Europe gets blown out of the water, because of coastal range. I will see what I can find within 100 miles

Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
if you go to southern France around 43N you see places averaging 32C highs
I'm not sure there is a location in France that averages a high of 32C/90F?

Quote:
and reaching 40s each year
Really? Every summer?

Quote:
, certainly doesn't happen anywhere within 100 miles of the coast in PNW,

Cave Junction is located at 42.1N and only 33 miles from the coast. Is there any place in France that compares to their summer highs and record highs (or even Portugal 33 miles from the coast)?

Quote:
likewise Portugal at the same latitude as Northern California sees 40C regularly not too far from the coast

Happy Camp at 41.5N in California only 25 miles away from the coast

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 09-24-2015 at 08:59 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
they do have a 11c low in July though.

32c july high seems high, but places like Perpignan or Orange should not be too far, and their lows are much higher than that.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
they do have a 11c low in July though.
Very true, but we were only focusing on average highs

Quote:
32c july high seems high, but places like Perpignan or Orange should not be too far,
That's what I thought.

Quote:
and their lows are much higher than that.
That's a given

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 09-24-2015 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather