Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 12:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Yeah exactly, your climate is far superior to the likes of Orlando for example.
Yes, I certainly think so -more comfortable weather over the year, but aircon has leveled the field somewhat.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:10 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,548 times
There are still people on this forum that didn't add Ynhotna to their ignore list

Old 02-13-2015, 03:22 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
The South is just as vulnerable to continental airmasses as it is to those from the GoM, at least in the cooler months.
The continental air masses then get modified severely by the strong oceanic influence of the Gulf/South Atlantic, to the point that arctic outbreaks are reduced to nothing but cool, refreshing breezes, often accompanied by bright, sunny skies, making for the very beautiful sunny days that the South is famous for during winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
It isn't a subtropical paradise. End of thread.
Yes it is. The thread continues, for the purposes of refuting the strong misconceptions held on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
I can't wait until part 10 is out.
I will make as much threads as necessary, until you people finally see how wrong you all are about the Southern climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1138769 View Post
Even Koppen Tropical in US (S. FL) recorded a freeze.
Cold Epoch. Enough said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Current temps in F°
Confirms what I've been saying all along; large swaths of the South, especially in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida, still aren't even approaching freezing even with strong arctic outbreaks.

Quote:
So it's currently warmer in London than in the well known subtropical paradise locations of Houston, the Mississippi delta, and Central Florida.
Quote:
Any second now we should expect to hear the religious myth known as the cold epoch.

Sometimes it can be entertaining, this poster decided to start the same topic on the general US forum, and claimed a photo of an aquarium was actually from the waters of Biscayne Bay.

That's like saying this is a typical garden/street scene in London.
All of the Southern locations you named had warmer low temps this morning than London, and they are much warmer right now. They have been featuring day after day in the upper 60s, and low 70s, while London is struggling to get out of the 40s, dipping to the 30s every night.

The difference is that the coral reefs actually exist in Biscayne Bay (and that picture was that of a real coral reef, not an aquarium), while London doesn't even look anywhere near like the pic you posted, even in the depths of the UHI. Such coral reefs can be found further up the Gulf of Mexico, around Louisiana, and Texas, and tropical vegetation like mangroves line the entire Southern coastline naturally, up to even Georgia.

What does any of this have to do with religion?

Quote:
I know that on average, these places have warmer winters than here (everywhere south of Richmond VA does), but this troll thinks that Philadelphia and NYC are naturally warmer as well! He just wants to spread anti-science around the forum. In another thread he was going on about some holistic medicine nonsense.
Yes, at a natural climactic state, NYC and Philadelphia are warmer than London, not by a large degree, but quite substantial enough. Those areas see upper 50s, and 60s during winter, London can't even get out of the 40s. Such areas in their natural state are warm enough to support jaguars, which had their range reduced by poachers.

This isn't anti-science; this is pure fact that just so happens to shred everything you thought you knew about the climate of the US to dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I take issue with the word paradise, which implies idyllic conditions at all times. Take away modern technology, and the climate becomes something to be endured, with summer conditions that are hazardous.

When the zombie apocalypse comes, I'd much rather take my chances in my climate, which would have a far healthier climate. Comfortable year round temperatures, will be the new gold.
Actually, during a zombie apocalypse, the US South, and other such humid climates would actually be among the best areas to stay. Go watch Walking Dead just to see.

Quote:
London has never experienced a temperature swing like that, in any month! The record high in winter is 67f, and the record low is 9f. The forecast for the next 2 weeks has highs of 44-53, and lows of 34-41. Unthinkable stability compared to you.
That poster lives high upon the mountains; weather swings would therefore be expected. But in the Coastal South, such swings will never happen to such large degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Yeah exactly, your climate is far superior to the likes of Orlando for example.
Orlando can sustain pure tropical vegetation like coconuts, that place in Southern New Zealand can't claim such a feat.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:28 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

Yes, at a natural climactic state, NYC and Philadelphia are warmer than London, not by a large degree, but quite substantial enough. Those areas see upper 50s, and 60s during winter, London can't even get out of the 40s.
NYC might see the odd day in the 50s or 60s. London sees more days in the 50s than NYC does, and actually 40% of winter days are 50 or above. It's above 50 for about half of our forecast .

The UHI of NYC is colder than London's outer suburbs in winter.

We are still waiting for all this peer-reviewed evidence of such a thing as the Cold Epoch.

Quote:
That poster lives high upon the mountains; weather swings would therefore be expected. But in the Coastal South, such swings will never happen to such large degrees.
That poster lives in Apex, NC. A simple search reveals an elevation of 150m, hardly 'high up in the mountains' now is it?

Old 02-13-2015, 03:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Diseases like malaria would return to their natural state, and high humidity would be a good climate for everything from fungal infections to leprosy. A mild Oceanic climate is still a good environment for year round fruit/vegetable/livestock production, and provides more comfortable working conditions over the whole year. Far easier to stay warm for 2-3 months, than try and keep cool for half the year. I'd take my chances here .... plus the zombies probably won't stink as much.

Big Walking Dead fan here.

Quote:
Actually, during a zombie apocalypse, the US South, and other such humid climates would actually be among the best areas to stay. Go watch Walking Dead just to see.

Orlando can sustain pure tropical vegetation like coconuts, that place in Southern New Zealand can't claim such a feat.
I was talking about comfort rather than coconut growing. I think my climate would be comfortable for longer than Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather