Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:00 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times

Advertisements

It worked last year for me here but I'll start with this...

August 2014:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I don't know if there is any correlation by the way plants behave and what it portends for the winter season but may oak trees in central Indiana are already dropping their acorns, also, black walnut and hickory trees are already shedding their fruit onto the ground. What type of winter can the Indianapolis area expect? I am dubious as to this continuing discussion forum because if Indianapolis has another winter like last year, I AM GOING TO HAVE A COW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Actually many of the things you are witnessing are stated to be precursors to a harsh winter by the Old Farmers Almanac
20 Signs of a Hard Winter - Farmers' Almanac
September 2014

//www.city-data.com/forum/garden/2205767-squirrels-active-there.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hmmm.

Anyone else seeing squirrels running around burying nuts & acorns? They're moving around a lot and not at a slow pace either.

I just took these pics today. Saw same squirrels bury 3 different nuts in 3 different spots. Been seeing them do this for about a week or so now.

November 2014

Quote:
Maybe the squirrels are onto something. Burying/eating nuts since September. Building nests frantically now.

January 2015

Quote:
My dog has been shedding like crazy last few weeks. Usually does this before really cold weather or in late fall. She started end of December, got heavy in mid January and still going!
My Retriever has not failed me in the past 4 yrs when I finally realized intense shedding meant a blast of Arctic air, consistent cold, or long Heat waves coming in a couple weeks (for summer).

The thick coat that was coming in was very strange to see at the end of January. Typical sheds are October & March. She did not shed much in October/November and we had a Top 10 warmest December.

Only in January she started shedding..and in clumps...and here we are with a blast of arctic air, with a Top 10 winter an a frigid February with long standing thick snowpack.

She has let up on the shedding now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 04:54 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,649 times
In Greece we have a method called "merominia" to predict the weather of the year. Some people look what is the weather in 12 days of August and each day symbolizes 1 month (September, October.... till July). If one day is rainy or cool then we say that the month October for example will be cool and rainy etc...

Old 09-22-2015, 08:56 PM

My dog started shedding a lot in August. Was very strange to see... sure enough.. a historically warm September. Dont know how she does it.

Amyway... wooly worm time of the year?

https://twitter.com/Kentuckyweather/...16147559493632

Old 09-22-2015, 09:43 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
I haven't seen a squirrel in months, maybe it's a good sign (for me). But then again, the squirrel population here seems dramatically lower than in NYC, you'd think it'd be the other way around.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:51 PM

Last yr this time squirrels were insane with activity and they seemed frantic burying everything. Everywhere you looked there was one with a nut in its mouth. I never saw that much activity in my life. Sure enough longest and deepest snow pack on record we had and of course the historic cold Feb.

This year? They are slow moving and I dont see much activity.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:30 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,921,829 times
Well my parents, who are Russian, would always tell me that if at sun set the sky has unusual colors, very vivid, with deep reds and purple and what not than it means a storm is on the way. And one time I went camping in the mountains (baker lake) and we saw one of those sun sets and we packed our bags and left in a big hurry, and as we began to leave a huge down pore began with strong winds. I don't know if it's just luck, or if the color of a sun set can predict the weather. Another one they would tell me that seems obvious is that if the stars are out at night then it will be sunny the next day, and another one is that if the clouds are light grey and seem heavy then it's going to snow, and when my mom would tell me that it would always end up snowing (doesn't snow that often in Seattle) and my mom never followed the weather reports, and still doesn't to this day.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Well my parents, who are Russian, would always tell me that if at sun set the sky has unusual colors, very vivid, with deep reds and purple and what not than it means a storm is on the way.

I don't know if it's just luck, or if the color of a sun set can predict the weather.
Cool story. Actually the opposite...

Red sky at night, sailors delight. Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning.

When we see a red sky at night, this means that the setting sun is sending its light through a high concentration of dust particles. This usually indicates high pressure and stable air coming in. Basically good weather will follow.

A morning sky that is a deep, fiery red can indicate that there is high water content in the atmosphere. So, rain could be on its way.

I just posted a picture of the red sky here this morning. There is a storm moving in.

The sunset/sunrise is not so much a "predictor" but it's a reflection of what's currently happening.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:09 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,064 times
My great-grandmother would say that if you see the underside of the leaves on a silver maple, then a storm is coming. This works most of the time, but sometimes we just have strong winds. Also, I once read in a book as a child that when there are steak-like clouds in the sky a storm is coming, which also works (though I don't know that it counts as a folk prediction).

Old 09-26-2015, 06:52 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,429 times
Not to diminish the intellectual level of this thread but I remember a Peanuts comic strip, from the 70's maybe, that played off the "red sky" sayings.

Snoopy is sitting on his dog house roof making up sayings along these lines. I remember one being, "red sky at ten, big fat hen" and of course the silliness went on from there. I have searched a long time to try and find that particular comic strip but to no avail.

Why I remember that strip I'll never know.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:31 AM

I don't remember seeing so much wildlife like I am seeing right now all at once. I got Robbins, Blue Jays, sparrows, mourning doves, finches, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks.

it's as if they know it's going to be spring for a couple of days...or maybe they sense something colder coming?

Squirrels started to become active digging more. Caught a couple of them actually digging to find something to eat. Birds are chasing eachother playing, fighting, chirping and building nests
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather