Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate: Terraformed Mars 2315
A 1 5.56%
B 1 5.56%
C 5 27.78%
D 1 5.56%
F 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:12 PM

1,011 posts, read 715,735 times

Advertisements

F

.................................................. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 09:05 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,011,476 times
I don't think terraformed Mars around the equator would be like this. I think it would be more like a mild desert or Mediterranean climate.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:06 PM

D-

Old 02-14-2015, 09:28 PM

633 posts, read 661,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeimglowinginthedark View Post
I don't think terraformed Mars around the equator would be like this. I think it would be more like a mild desert or Mediterranean climate.
i suppose its possible, but it would need to be influenced by a large sea or ocean to regulate temperatures more. i seriously doubt Mars would ever have anywhere near the amount of water on the surface as Earth does. therefore it will be much drier, more sand, more haze, and a much thinner atmosphere even at sea level that would resemble a climate more like La Paz, Bolivia than a Mediterranean climate...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Paz

it is an entire planet we are talking about so interesting climates could emerge in certain topography like a more humid and mild climate situated in Valles Marineris.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valles_Marineris

either way the sun just wouldn't be strong enough to see average temps above 20C/68F... so i'm thinking Oceanic Cfc as a best case scenario for Mars assuming there is enough moisture...

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 02-14-2015 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 09:31 PM

I'm not sure about that. I think that if they were to terraform Mars, they would try to make the temperatures as comfortable as possible.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:34 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
One thing you didn't take into consideration with your climate table... the Martian year is 687 days long (almost twice as long as Earth's). Another thing to keep in mind is that the seasons aren't equal length on Mars as they are on Earth since Mars' orbit has a much larger eccentricity and so the seasons wouldn't be nearly as balanced as they are on Earth. No amount of terraforming can change that. In terms of proposed Martian calendars, there is no agreed upon system yet but this one looks promising:

Darian calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you could recalculate the climate averages with this in mind?

Old 02-14-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
One thing you didn't take into consideration with your climate table... the Martian year is 687 days long (almost twice as long as Earth's). Another thing to keep in mind is that the seasons aren't equal length on Mars as they are on Earth since Mars' orbit has a much larger eccentricity and so the seasons wouldn't be nearly as balanced as they are on Earth. No amount of terraforming can change that. In terms of proposed Martian calendars, there is no agreed upon system yet but this one looks promising:

Darian calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you could recalculate the climate averages with this in mind?
very good point i had the feeling i was missing something important lol, i'll create a new graph...

EDIT: looks like the weatherbox charts only work with the standard 12 months. i might have to use something different...

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 02-14-2015 at 10:12 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 10:23 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Nah. It's all about sucking money out of the government for all these studies.

Mars doesn't have a magnetosphere. And the magnetosphere is the thing that makes life - and reproduction - possible here on earth. Without a magnetosphere to protect us, the forming DNA of a fetus would be shredded.
Terraforming of Mars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But scientists know all that. They just want money to "study" it.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nah. It's all about sucking money out of the government for all these studies.

Mars doesn't have a magnetosphere. And the magnetosphere is the thing that makes life - and reproduction - possible here on earth. Without a magnetosphere to protect us, the forming DNA of a fetus would be shredded.
Terraforming of Mars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But scientists know all that. They just want money to "study" it.
lol yea your right... and there are probably hundreds of other problems that haven't been discovered yet in terms of terraforming Mars. one can dream though

obviously the most glaring issue would be the lack of magnetic field, without it protecting us on Earth we would all die from cosmic radiation. ugh a pretty terrible death as well. the only life that would be safe is the stuff in the deep caves! and the atmosphere would slowly decay from the bombardment of particles from space (solar wind). that is part of the reason why the atmosphere of Mars is so thin, it may have been more dense millions of years ago.

i do think terraforming Mars is possible (in the sense that anything is possible), but it may require some epic technological advancements before it can be done. maybe we'll need 500 or even 1000 years of advancement before we can tackle a project of that scale...

Old 02-15-2015, 01:16 AM

Also, I think that your vision of a terraformed Mars at the equator would be true at that point where certain parts of Mars are sort of livable, but even those parts are still not ideal for living. However, I think that a completely terraformed Mars would be warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather