Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:50 PM

13 posts, read 15,072 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a mild climate city without snow or extremely high temps. I was thinking somewhere in the Pacific NW.

I've lived in Northern Wisconsin most of my life and I'm sick to death of extreme cold, ice and snow 6 months of the year. Our winters are cold and dark, our spring is a disgusting mud ball, fall is cold and windy here too.

I love the outdoors. Ideally, I'd love a city where I can road bike year round, with no snow, some sunshine, mild temps fine. A place where I could hike, maybe with a national forest Park or mountains would be amazing too. Moderate or low cost of living would be a huge plus. I'm not picky about the city size but nothing too crazy-large.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 AM

633 posts, read 661,436 times
honestly the only place that really fits that description in the lower 48 would be coastal central-southern california...
(monterey southward)

San Luis Obispo, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Santa Barbara, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i really don't want to recommend california though, its just that there aren't any other good options...

-i don't think you would like oregon or washington state. too much cloud cover and too cool for half of the year...
-texas (and the rest of the south) too hot in the summer + bad cold snaps in the winter
-south florida too hot and too humid (trust me i know and i hate it). bike riding with 85F+ and very high humidity is actually dangerous for your health...

other than that, you'd have to look towards Europe for the type of mild weather your looking for.

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 02-15-2015 at 12:21 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 12:27 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,303,619 times
Albany, Western Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A town in SW Western Australia, quite cool in summer and can be a bit boring in winter weather-wise (cloudy), but it fits most of your preferences. Also, road cycling is quite good there, it is 30kms away from a National Park that has 1000m+ mountains (hills ).

Never gets above 35˚C most summers, and winter nights are mild (10-12˚C I believe).

Old 02-15-2015, 12:28 AM

Oh god, please not California recommendations. I'm from the Midwest, for Christ sake.

Pacific Northwest might be cool and grey but WI is frigid and dark most of the year. I can handle cool and grey... WI is a frozen hellish wasteland, I laugh at 36-60 being called "cool." That's downright warm compared to Northern WI.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit-biker View Post
Oh god, please not California recommendations. I'm from the Midwest, for Christ sake.

Pacific Northwest might be cool and grey but so is Wisconsin. WI is a frozen hellish wasteland, I laugh at 36-60 being called "cold." That's downright warm compared to Northern WI.
lol yea ok but your only thinking about Pacific Northwest as an inferior substitute to coastal california which has a milder climate with more sunshine... i mean if your ok with 35-45 degrees and a brisk wind and drizzle then be my guest move to Oregon/WA...

Old 02-15-2015, 12:36 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,303,619 times
Also, never snowed in Albany, only the mountains in the deep of winter, and that is becoming increasingly rare (once every 3-5 years).

Old 02-15-2015, 12:40 AM

you aussies have such nice weather, you guys don't know how good you have it

Old 02-15-2015, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
lol yea ok but your only thinking about Pacific Northwest as an inferior substitute to coastal california which has a milder climate with more sunshine... i mean if your ok with 35-45 degrees and a brisk wind and drizzle then be my guest move to Oregon/WA...
Yep! I'd be fine with that. Lol. That's what Wisconsin spring and fall is like, all the time. I don't mind that weather at all, I have all the biking and tech gear for it, already. Thank you for your suggestions. California weather does sound amazing but I don't think I could handle the price tag or the big city culture. Haha.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodleman556 View Post
Albany, Western Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A town in SW Western Australia, quite cool in summer and can be a bit boring in winter weather-wise (cloudy), but it fits most of your preferences. Also, road cycling is quite good there, it is 30kms away from a National Park that has 1000m+ mountains (hills ).

Never gets above 35˚C most summers, and winter nights are mild (10-12˚C I believe).
Aww, thanks for the suggestion but I'm definitely looking to stay inside the United States. All of my family lives here. But thank you!!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:24 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,143 times
L.A near the coast. How does this look?
Santa Monica, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather