Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When does spring start?
1st March 28 47.46%
21st March 6 10.17%
20th March 7 11.86%
1st Febuary 2 3.39%
1st April 7 11.86%
Don't have spring in this climate 5 8.47%
Don't really care! 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:22 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,329,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
21st March in the North and 23rd September in the South clear
So December 20th is "Autumn" to you?

Never understood people who go by Astronomical Seasons, how does Winter on the day with the lowest sun angle? As dhdh said, March is significantly warmer with many more daylight hours than December for nearly any location in the N.H. Unless the climate exhibits a significant seasonal lag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 11:44 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,881,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Great photos. The phoenix in the last photo is different.

Here you go Joe. Some more late winter photos from coastal Souhteast US.

//www.city-data.com/forum/38649450-post496.html

Old 03-02-2015, 11:49 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,793,985 times
2nd half of march. that's when you really start to notice the energy in the sun rays

Old 03-02-2015, 04:23 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,962,352 times
Here it feels like March 10 is about the time spring really gets going. Average highs are in the 60s by then and snow starts becoming close to an impossibility (maybe once/decade or something). Flowers start blooming and freezes become less common as well.

I picked March 1, though, because I like using meteorological spring for statistics.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:43 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
I'm forever arguing with various people that Spring always starts on the 1st of March, as it make so much more sense. However, plenty of my mates, or acquaintances argue that Spring always starts on the 21st of March.
Technically, if we go by the astronomical seasons, both sides of the argument is wrong - as astronomical spring starts on the 20th March this year. Some years astronomical spring can start on the 21st march, or 22nd of march, and even on the 19th of March - this depending on when the spring equinox is. But, this is where the meteorological seasons come in - in order for meteorologists to compare seasons, spring is between the 1st March to the 31st May, this is because the equinox's throughout the year changes - and comparing the seasons in the astronomical way is made much harder.

So when do you believe spring actually starts? Do the poll, and give your opinion.
Anyone who got this wrong has not read the calendar.
Any {good} calendar will show the first day of spring is March 20th. Here in the NE, I believe it will technically arrive around 6:18 pm.
Also; the "firsts" will always fall on or about the 20th,21st of: March, June, September and December, so it really should be no mystery.
Of course, I don't THINK of spring as "being here" until EASTER shows up, but this year Easter is early, it has been a harsh winter, and I expect "winter" will still be showing and snow will fall after the 5th of April {Easter DAy}!

PS> ANYONE here in the USA who changes clocks, this Saturday night/Sunday morning becomes DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME, so set your clocks AHEAD one hour before you go to bed. That is 10PM becomes 11PM!!! "Remember spring ahead, fall behind"

Old 03-02-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Any {good} calendar will show the first day of spring is March 20th. Here in the NE, I believe it will technically arrive around 6:18 pm.
Also; the "firsts" will always fall on or about the 20th,21st of: March, June, September and December, so it really should be no mystery.
Of course, I don't THINK of spring as "being here" until EASTER shows up, but this year Easter is early, it has been a harsh winter, and I expect "winter" will still be showing and snow will fall after the 5th of April {Easter DAy}!

PS> ANYONE here in the USA who changes clocks, this Saturday night/Sunday morning becomes DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME, so set your clocks AHEAD one hour before you go to bed. That is 10PM becomes 11PM!!! "Remember spring ahead, fall behind"
So you sincerely believe that December 20th is "Fall" and March 20th is "Winter" regardless of how the weather patterns are set up? What about in a place like Yakutsk, where December is a whopping 31.5 F colder than March?
Yakutsk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no logic behind this, besides "oh I look at my calendar and it's Spring!!!". For this to be logical, we have to focus on weather patterns and of course daylight hours.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,572,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

Haha, good luck with the snow... Have had hardly any, and hardly any sub zero nights!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:43 PM

750 posts, read 738,463 times
If you want to break up the year into four equal chunks, spring is probably about 3/6-6/6 In a typical 30N-60N location, although that varies from region to region.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 PM

It's hard to break up the year into four equal chunks because in continental climates the transition seasons tend to be shorter than Winter or Summer.

I would say Spring is roughly from about 3/15 until 5/25 or so. I would consider the last days of May summer, although very early Summer.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 PM

I'd be hard pressed to call March 1st "Spring". A lot of times the coldest cold snaps of the year can happen between Late February and about March 10 or so, especially for places with significant seasonal lag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather