Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 04:31 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times

Advertisements

To answer your question NO. The climate is NOT overrated. I lived there a year (Oahu). We lived on the desert side so it got hotter a couple of months when we wished we had air conditioning but we did like the natives do, kept windows open.

We left there on a Christmas night after spending Christmas morning on the beach one last time.

Here is a picture I took on New Years morning, two days after we got there. (taken from the Marine Base at K-Bay) I was in my pajamas .

No, not overrated at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Hawaii's climate overrated?-2013newyearsmorning-hawaii.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
The idea that Hawaii or Florida is a climate paradise originates from tourists visiting from cool climates during winter. Most of these people only see these places in the comfortable season, so that's all they have to base their opinion on. We always want what we can't have. Loads will say Hawaii's climate is great during winter when they're cold and miserable, but if asked at the end of August I bet some will say it would be too much for them. We need change in order to not dislike where we live. The tropics gets old fast.
Exactly. My gf has Hawaii lust all the time. She's been there a few times, and she acts like it's the best place in the world. Ironically, we live in Houston, TX, which has very similar weather to Hawaii's: hot and humid, with frequent rain showers. The only difference is we get kind of cold winters with occasional temps in the 40s and 50s. I believe Hawaii stays pretty temperate year round, at least the Honolulu and Waikiki area, which are the major tourist traps. Also, Houston is definitely not as pretty as Hawaii. I'm a cold weather lover, and make trips to Alaska frequently.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
A majority of your top athletes come from FL

Is it because we are just superior human specimens
Obviously.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:00 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
People act like it's room temperature all year but really it's not, it's actually uncomfortably warm and muggy all year. It's like having July in Minneapolis all the time. Doesn't sound very appealing to me at all.
Well that is just wrong.

The average humidity in Honolulu is 71% and it is 85% in MN in July.

The average high in HNL is 84° and average low 70°, MSP in July is 83° and 64°, but the kicker is that MSP in January the average high is 24° and the low, 8° while HNL is still 80°.

You are welcome to your snow and ice.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. My gf has Hawaii lust all the time. She's been there a few times, and she acts like it's the best place in the world. Ironically, we live in Houston, TX, which has very similar weather to Hawaii's: hot and humid, with frequent rain showers.
Y'all need to get a grasp on reality. Honolulu is a temperate zone (as is Hawaii in general). It is seldom, if ever above 90° in Honolulu and as previously stated, its average humidity is 71%.

Houston averages over 90° (93° to be exact) in July and 96% humidity (NINETY SIX FREAKIN' PERCENT).

Old 03-06-2015, 12:19 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,276,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Y'all need to get a grasp on reality. Honolulu is a temperate zone (as is Hawaii in general). It is seldom, if ever above 90° in Honolulu and as previously stated, its average humidity is 71%.

Houston averages over 90° (93° to be exact) in July and 96% humidity (NINETY SIX FREAKIN' PERCENT).
Yeah, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:59 PM

737 posts, read 1,462,176 times
I have lived on the Big Island for almost 12 years. Honoka'a to be exact. It all depends on what kind of weather you like. I personally can't stand it when the temperature is over about 72/73 degrees. There are so many microclimates here. Just 6 miles northwest of where I live is almost a completely different climate. So while I may think it is too hot most of the time here, other people think it's not hot enough. I grew up in New England and spent 23 years of my life there and miss the change of seasons. There is not enough variation in the weather where I live now. Some people love it, I can't stand it. Right now it is 66 degrees and raining and I am in heaven. As far as the trade winds go, it does feel more comfortable when they are blowing but it seems like they don't come around as often. We can have weeks and weeks on end of no breeze and warm and voggy weather. It is miserable to me. We are moving the Puget Sound area later this year and can't wait.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:20 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,456,795 times
Quote:
Well that is just wrong.

The average humidity in Honolulu is 71% and it is 85% in MN in July.
No , your numbers are incorrect (as TommyFL pointed out). Where are you getting these numbers?

Average RH in Minnie in July is 60-65%, same with Honolulu.
Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Honolulu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am pretty sure I'd love Hawaii. Besides not liking the cold, I don't like a lot of change. I don't find the same weather all the time "boring," and I have a hard time not calling people with that opinion downright idiots to be honest with you (I have to remember that we all have our own opinions and I wouldn't like someone calling me that). No, I like for things to STAY THE SAME, FOREVER. I take comfort in things such as people whom I know who have lived in the same place, the same phone number, the same personality, EVERYTHING, for the entire 35-odd years I've known them. That, to me, is the very essence of paradise--things staying the freaking darned same indefinitely, even if it's for the worse, so be it, but DON'T EVER CHANGE.

To that end, I absolutely cannot stand "wild swings" in the weather, especially freak things like 80s temps in December (if you're not in Hawaii) and the 50s in May (if you're not in Montana). I hate them. They are to me the antithesis of anything remotely resembling normal or even mentally stable. Constant change in the weather is like what George Bailey experienced in the "alternate reality of you were never born" in the movie "It's a Wonderful Life"--everything is totally wrong and it's frightening, or at least really annoying, and you are begging to "go back."

To me, the calendar is GOD. You do not EVER EVER EVER EVER have freak cold days in May, you do not EVER EVER EVER EVER have freak warm days in December. Ever, ever, ever, not even one-time in 25,000,000 years. I am absolutely serious. It's just not right, I'd even consider it downright evil, as if a crime has been committed or the like. (Yes, I know, I'm engaging in extreme hyperbole and you're going "wow," in a BAD way.) That whole thing of "if you don't like the weather in such and such, wait 5 minutes and it'll change"--no, no, you just DON'T DO IT. I cannot say it strongly enough just how much I despise that type of weather.

And here's the thing--it's ALWAYS doing this. Between these freak cold storms when it's still technically winter but it's almost over and it's supposed to be "winding down" now, and those days in the spring where it's 60 one day and 80 the next and 45 the next, and it rains for 5 days in a row when the temperatures are in the 70s but there's no rain to be found when it's almost 100 and you'd love some, I think pretty much all non-Hawaii weather is awful, frankly. To me, weather like Hawaii isn't "paradise" so much as it's MENTALLY SANE while the entire rest of the US (except maybe AZ and NM) are just INSANE.

So please--spare me this "I need variety in my weather"--that's fine if you do, but some of HATE variety. I know I do. I want it to be the stable, predictable, and NORMAL, not all over the place like the needle on a polygraph connected to a lying person.

I do like stable weather, particularly in winter around here which isn't stable at all. I guess I wouldn't word it as strongly as you did as I don't think mother nature works like that. Even Hawaii gets some change in the weather.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:07 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:

The difference is that Hawaii is hot and muggy all year. Houston is chilly for a good 40% of the year. In Hawaii you never feel cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather