Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:11 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times

Advertisements

Leadville is a mile above the Mile High City, and it sees temperatures about 12-13F lower in the winter and 17-18F lower in the summer.

If Denver was a mile lower and followed the same pattern this would mean its summers would be around 78-103F and its winters a balmy 30-57F! This is pretty much the same as Las Vegas and I'd imagine Denver would be even drier too since it would be deeper in the Rockies' rain shadow.

I find it hard to believe a city so far inland and relatively far north would be this warm. But then again Vegas is pretty far inland too, and not that much further south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 03:50 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,655,807 times
And Vegas is around 2000ft

Old 03-13-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1138769 View Post
And Vegas is around 2000ft
Good point, I forgot about that.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:06 PM

824 posts, read 688,530 times
Temperature decreases about 1*C for every 500 feet. This means Denver would be around 11*C warmer. (17*C in winter, 43*C in summer

Temps would be close to the Baghdad, in the Middle East!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad

Since Vegas is around 2000 ft, and Denver is only slightly further north, it is somewhat believable that Denver would be very hot. Also, if valsteele's rain shadow theory is true, it could be much like the middle east!

Last edited by Mr.Sir; 03-15-2015 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Grammar, from worse to bad!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post
Temperature decreases about 1*C for every 500 feet. This means Denver would be around 11*C warmer. (17*C in winter, 43*C in summer

Since Vegas is around 2000 ft, and Denver is only slightly further north, it is somewhat believable that Denver would be very hot. Also, if valsteele's rain shadow theory is true, it could be much like the middle east!
Wow, that's crazy!

Old 03-15-2015, 11:16 PM

269 posts, read 237,665 times
Wouldn't a lower elevation also mean cold air would pool in the valley that the city is now in, meaning that on calm clear nights in the winter in could get quite cold.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather Guy View Post
Wouldn't a lower elevation also mean cold air would pool in the valley that the city is now in, meaning that on calm clear nights in the winter in could get quite cold.
Possibly? I wonder if anyone knows better than me.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:50 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,183,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sir View Post

I don't think it would be that hot.
This general calculation is true but doesn't take in account thermal inversions that occurr at lower elevations and that heavily influence the climate.

Denver lies at 1600 m (5200 feet) and has an average mean of 10°C.

Dodge City, Kansas lies at an altitude of 800 m (2600 feet) and already has an average mean of 13°C. Its average high in January is the same of Denver despite being 800 metres lower; its average high in July is 2°C warmer. Overall, it is 3°C degrees warmer than Denver and not 5°C.

Wichita lies at 400 m (1300 feet) and has an average mean of 14°C. Its average high in January is already lower than Denver's. Its average high in July is still 2°C warmer than Denver's.
Overall, it is 4°C warmer and not 8°C.

So my guess is that Denver, located at sea level in the same geographical area (in a large plain, in the interior of the continent, just east of the Rockies, with foehn winds) would probably have averages like: -4°C/8°C in January, 23°C/35°C in July.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post

Denver lies at 1600 m (5200 feet) and has an average mean of 10°C.

Dodge City, Kansas lies at an altitude of 800 m (2600 feet) and already has an average mean of 13°C. Its average high in January is the same of Denver despite being 800 metres lower; its average high in July is 2°C warmer. Overall, it is 3°C degrees warmer than Denver and not 5°C.

Wichita lies at 400 m (1300 feet) and has an average mean of 14°C. Its average high in January is already lower than Denver's. Its average high in July is still 2°C warmer than Denver's.
Overall, it is 4°C warmer and not 8°C.

So my guess is that Denver, located at sea level in the same geographical area (in a large plain, in the interior of the continent, just east of the Rockies, with foehn winds) would probably have averages like: -4°C/8°C in January, 23°C/35°C in July.
Winters get cooler as you go east of the Rockies, very clear if you looked at a 850 mb map. Largely because the Rockies affect airflow patterns (pull arctic air to the east). And as you said, foehn winds. But yes, I agree you can't interpolate downward by altitude. One problem with the question is the mountains affect the local climate. Are we just changing Denver or removing all the western mountains (of which the Rockies are one of many). West of all the big western mountains at sea level and same latitude as Denver:

Chico, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the mountains affect the precipitation patterns, and make cold air rare in Chico; hard to say what no mountains would be. Or perhaps the OP means if the mountains were still there but Denver was at sea level instead of at a plain at 5000 feet (similar to how Po Valley northern Italian cities are on a plain about sea level and face mountains Rocky Mountain height)? If a foehn wind was coming and the air directly from the west, you'd get some very hot weather; the altitude rule that Mt. Sir posted would roughly apply. If the airflow was from the south, you'd get a slightly cooler version of Texan weather I think. I'd guess somewhere between 5-10°F hotter overall.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:50 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,183,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Winters get cooler as you go east of the Rockies, very clear if you looked at a 850 mb map. Largely because the Rockies affect airflow patterns (pull arctic air to the east).
I guessed that; however I don't think that a sea level Denver would have the climate of Baghdad or Las Vegas, which are located in a desert and much more southward. The temperature difference with Kansas would be too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather