Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:48 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,538 times

Advertisements

comfortable, but boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 01:59 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
We get 2600 hours of sunshine (Sydney Airport). That's 200 hours of more sun than Blenheim. Still a big improvement.

The reason why we are "wetter" is that we get heavy rain that would then give away to sunshine anyway. Since NZ is oceanic, they wouldn't get that much heavy rain, but instead they would get day long of light rain/drizzle with no possible sunshine. Rain hours count here.

I'd take a city that gets 1000mm of rain with around 130 rainy days, over a gloomy, drizzly place that only gets 600mm at the gauge with 150 rain days.
False. Blenheim and Nelson both average at least 2475 hours, in fact over the last 15 years or so Nelson has averaged over 2500. Neither Blenheim or Nelson come anywhere near the 600mm/150 days criterion.

Sydney (Obs. Hill) averages 100 days with 1mm or more - Blenheim averages 78. You seem to be under a misapprehension about the nature of rainy days in parts of NZ.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:01 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
^^^ drizzle isn't a feature of Oceanic climates. Lots of NZ climates have a higher rainfall/rainday ratio than Australia gets. 1000 mm at 130 days is nothing special - Wellington for example, has about 1200mm at 120 days. 600mm at 150 days -I don't think anywhere has a ratio that low (that I'm aware of). Sydney's ratio at 1162 mm for 100 days isn't that high -lower than my climate.

Pleasant is how I would describe NZ -pleasant in the extreme. Seldom hot or cold, generally reliable rainfall, and most places have an even amount of sunshine/cloud, which is fine by me. Best climates are BOP, EastCape/Hawkes Bay and Nelson Marlborough-average maximums as warm or warmer than Auckland, sunnier and less rain days.
Refer also to my reply to Theropod, who clearly doesn't know anything about the variability in NZ climates. I haven't got rainday data for Takaka sites offhand, but they would give a pretty high rainfall/rainday ratio.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:20 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Refer also to my reply to Theropod, who clearly doesn't know anything about the variability in NZ climates. I haven't got rainday data for Takaka sites offhand, but they would give a pretty high rainfall/rainday ratio.
Nothing unusual about the ignorance displayed. Many Aussies have little knowledge of NZ.

TDC used to include rain days with it's rainfall data, with Takaka having about 130 days for around 1900mm at Kotinga, and 2200mm at Urewhenua. Rockville and Bainham(Rainham to the locals) had 3600mm and 3900mm respectively for around 160 days - a higher ratio than the Coasts's big towns.

Getting any thunder over there? There's a few distant rumbles here and getting closer.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:22 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
False. Blenheim and Nelson both average at least 2475 hours, in fact over the last 15 years or so Nelson has averaged over 2500. Neither Blenheim or Nelson come anywhere near the 600mm/150 days criterion.

Sydney (Obs. Hill) averages 100 days with 1mm or more - Blenheim averages 78. You seem to be under a misapprehension about the nature of rainy days in parts of NZ.
Who said I was talking about Blenheim in the last paragraph when I said I'd prefer 1000mm/130 days of rain over 600mm/150 days? I was merely exaggerating the stereotype of an oceanic climate, which I thought maybe some parts of NZ would adhere to.

Well, Obs Hill isn't relevant to where I live. My suburb average at 84 days on the 1mm threshold. Miami would probably have higher figures, and it would still beat both Sydney and NZ cities in the sunshine department.

Sydney (Obs Hill) has well over 100 clear days in a year. What about the NZ cities, if you'd share them please?

Quote:
Nothing unusual about the ignorance displayed. Many Aussies have little knowledge of NZ.
Quote:
You people are taking this way too personally.

Put me on a news front page already.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:30 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
very temperate.

Like an improved version of the UK because it is generally a lot sunnier, but the summers are not really warmer though.

Christchurch and Auckland are ok, but I prefer warmer summers overall.

At least they have mountains for snow.

In short, NZ has passable climates, just like Scandinavia.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Who said I was talking about Blenheim in the last paragraph when I said I'd prefer 1000mm/130 days of rain over 600mm/150 days? I was merely exaggerating the stereotype of an oceanic climate, which I thought maybe some parts of NZ would adhere to.

Well, Obs Hill isn't relevant to where I live. My suburb average at 84 days on the 1mm threshold. Miami would probably have higher figures, and it would still beat both Sydney and NZ cities in the sunshine department.

Sydney (Obs Hill) has well over 100 clear days in a year. What about the NZ cities, if you'd share them please?

You people are taking this way too personally.

Put me on a news front page already.
It's not personal. You're just showing a degree of ignorance regarding rainfall. There isn't a Oceanic rainfall type by the way.

I've never seen clear day stats for NZ. If Sydney has 100, then NZ cities would probably average between 60-95, I would guess.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:55 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
It's not personal. You're just showing a degree of ignorance regarding rainfall. There isn't a Oceanic rainfall type by the way.
How is it ignorance? It's just an observation.

If you look at a climate's rainfall pattern and its rainy days you may tell if it's oceanic or not (that's unless if it isn't hot enough to be Cfa or cold enough to be Df). The distinctive feature here is the ratio between how much rain it gets and the rain days (which would fare a lot in comparison).

This may be marginal or stereotypical though, because there are oceanic climates that don't fit this bill. But it's just something that I have noticed (again, an observation). This oceanic climate has this 'feature' to the extreme. But there are other 'moderate' ones like Ballarat, Mount Gambier, Seattle and Portland.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:08 AM

578 posts, read 591,768 times
The very southernmost part of NZ is a bit grim, but the rest is absolutely fine and comfortable nearly year-round. The winters in cities like Auckland for instance are no worse than here.

Quote:
We get 2600 hours of sunshine (Sydney Airport). That's 200 hours of more sun than Blenheim. Still a big improvement.

The reason why we are "wetter" is that we get heavy rain that would then give away to sunshine anyway. Since NZ is oceanic, they wouldn't get that much heavy rain, but instead they would get day long of light rain/drizzle with no possible sunshine. Rain hours count here.

I'd take a city that gets 1000mm of rain with around 130 rainy days, over a gloomy, drizzly place that only gets 600mm at the gauge with 150 rain days.
Okay, does a high number of rainy days necessarily equate to long periods of incessant drizzle? You could have a brief shower at 9am every second morning, for instance, that lasts about ten mins. and at the end of the month you'd assume it rained non-stop due to a high amount of rainy days but that obviously wasn't the case.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
How is it ignorance? It's just an observation.

If you look at a climate's rainfall pattern and its rainy days you may tell if it's oceanic or not (that's unless if it isn't hot enough to be Cfa or cold enough to be Df). The distinctive feature here is the ratio between how much rain it gets and the rain days (which would fare a lot in comparison).
So Perth , Sydney, Brisbane and Darwin may, or may not be Oceanic climates, based on the rainfall/rainday ratio?

I think your little system might need some improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather